Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
What did you do in your Evoque today?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

What did you do in your Evoque today?

I've started this thread as a sort of forum users blog, if you have done something in your Evoque that you think might be of the slightest interest feel free to add a post.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-09-2011 08:57pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: What did you do in your Evoque today?

could be quite lonely for u for a while XFFT! Looking forward to your tales. Have u remembered what the 'secrets' are yet?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
11-09-2011 08:58pm
XFullFatTim

And I'll start it off with

I took mine on a green road run on private roads belonging to a shooting estate in the hills between Loch Long and Loch Lomond. We started at Butterbridge on the west side of a well known steep hill known as the "Rest and Be Thankful" which actually refers to the summit where in the days of underpowered and slow cars many would have started overheating by the time they had negotiated the old road and had to stop on the summit and were thankful for having got there and drove through the hills to the village of Ardlui at the head of Loch Lomond. The weather was horrible with very high winds, driving rain and low cloud. Photos are uploaded and will be here shortly

[Image: file-8.jpg]
[Image: file-10.jpg]

CLICK ON THIS PICTURE - IT IS A VIDEO
[Image: th_file-13.jpg]

[Image: file-17.jpg]
[Image: file-18.jpg]
[Image: file-21.jpg]
[Image: file-31.jpg]

Surround Cams in action
[Image: file-27.jpg]
[Image: file-26.jpg]

iPhone with Memory Map Navigator app loaded so i have OS maps as the LR Nav maps have no detail - the app works better on my iPad where the picture is easier to see and info easier to read but the mount that I have for it only fits in my Defender, will have to see if the makers have one for the Evoque
[Image: file-36.jpg]
[Image: file-39.jpg]

With all the rain today there were some splendid water falls
[Image: file-35.jpg]
[Image: file-41.jpg]

The Rain..................... on the front screen and the pano roof! If you click on the picture it will open as a video
[Image: th_file-40.jpg]

Due to all the rain it didn't really get very dirty (or at least the dirt got washed off as soon as it got stuck on!
[Image: file-43.jpg]
[Image: file-44.jpg]

At one stage the cloud was so low and dense it was nearly dark!
[Image: file-16.jpg]

There are a few more pics and videos in this album http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/jo...20Offroad/ please feel free to take a look - pictures with an arrow on them are actually video

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2011 09:57pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-09-2011 09:03pm
DynamicRRV

Great pics!
11-09-2011 09:24pm
XFullFatTim

CJ it coped as well as the Freelander 1's and 2's that were there (better than the F1 as it got a puncture!) The Black F2 in the photos is only 6 months old. It didn't take long to find the depth limit for ruts though and with the Dynamic the front spoiler appears to be lower than the other cars. Thankfully all that scraped along the bottom of the car was long grass and not anything hard but it still sounded horrible! I have experience of how Freelanders cope off road as I owned one for 3 years and off roared it heavily (it was because of that I bought my Def90) and would not have taken the car if the route was any worse than it was - I have drive these tracks before but the few ruts that there are the absolute limit for Freelanders and Evoques and I had not driven that section before. Fuel consumption at low speeds is grim, I never saw more than 19mpg all day on the trails - I could achieve that in low ratio in the FFRR's and RRS's, however as soon as the car was back on the open road it soon clicked up to 40mpg for the drive home on the road down the west side of Loch Lomond with the snake of slow moving traffic content to drive at 50 on a 60 limited road.
I also have one scuffed 20" alloy, not done off road today but on the way when I stopped outside our village shop this morning to buy my lunch..........
Something very interesting - apart from 1 Disco3, one Freelander2, one Freelander1 and me the other 17 cars on the run were 2 x Series 2's and 15 Defenders in various degrees of off road prep and none (the 110's were as they left the factory) and there were some there today who at the last run had ridiculed the Evoque......................... I could have made a fortune doing demo runs today, I had passengers frequently and some were the biggest detractors of the car earlier this year. They are now converted and LR has at least 4 more customers coming their way, and despite some sharp intakes of breath when i told them how much I had paid the consensus seemed to be that Evoque is worthy of the badge and worth every penny of the cost. I also still have no squeaks rattles or groans and the Pano roof didn't develop any nasty cracks! Pink Ffloyd's Dark Side of the Moon sound fantastic on the 825w Hifi and the subwoofer is under the drivers seat....................... it gives some very strange sensations if you turn the volume right up! And at 43 (I didn't go any higher ) on the volume there was no distortion in the speakers but it ws load enough for the folks 5 cars up the line to comment about how they could hear my hifi WITHOUT any open doors and windows. EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2011 09:45pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-09-2011 09:28pm
ApeelinZ

So would you say the 20" wheels did ok through the mud and ruts?

Any traction issues?

How was the ride quaility?

I ask because I am still on the fence between 19" and 20" wheels
11-09-2011 09:39pm
DynamicRRV

Im not kidding but Alloy wheels that get scuffed are my pet hate.........I would sell it immediately!
11-09-2011 09:40pm
XFullFatTim

The alloy or the car?
So would you say the 20" wheels did ok through the mud and ruts?
Yes but the ruts were nice and wide having been following along behind 8 defenders most on wide mud terrain tyres! Otherwise they would have been scuffed pretty badly. The Section of the Craptinentals is quite high too so they have a decent sidewall but I wouldn't want to take them into any narrower ruts. That is one reason I want a set of used rims that it doesn't matter if they get scuffed.

Any traction issues? None at all going forwards.............. however I was running mostly in the Grass Gravel and Snow setting when I should have been in the Mud and Ruts and when I had to reverse along some ruts the power was cut by the electronics, with my foot flat to the floor the engine remained at tick over and then very slowly eased in the power, if I had selected M&R then I would not have had the problem.

How was the ride quaility? I have Magneride on mine - superb in other words! Certainly as good as my air-sprung FFRR would have riden over the same trails

I ask because I am still on the fence between 19" and 20" wheels If you intend to go off road then look for a set of used Freelander2 18's wheels and fit some chunky tyres - they will have a much bigger side wall to retain the same rolling diameter as the 20's and keep the 20's for on on road. Will you be getting Adaptive Dynamics on your car?

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2011 09:56pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-09-2011 09:46pm
DynamicRRV

The car!!!!! Smile
11-09-2011 09:56pm
mark_n

Can I suggest you resize your pictures before posting? 640 * 480 is great for forums and reduces download times.

As for the car, you may not like silver, I definitely do not like white and the privacy glass isn't great either. Each to his own though...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
11-09-2011 09:58pm