Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Wanted: Guide for hard wiring dash cam
MarkA_

Does anyone know if anyone has done a guide anywhere for hard wiring a dash cam up to the rear view mirror in the evoque?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
29-12-2013 11:54am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Wanted: Guide for hard wiring dash cam

What info are you after?
(and I don't mean to be funny!)
You need 2 wires plumbed into the fuse box behind the glove box.

I took the ignition live from the ciggy lighter fuse (I think!), and the permanent live from the OBD fuse. (take from the bottom pin of the fuses)
I ran the cable up behind the A pillar trim, which removes by flicking out the 'SRS Airbag' plastic trim and unscrewing the T27??? torx screw behind it.
I ran the cable across the top of the windscreen, tucked under the leading edge of the roof lining and just popped the power lead down next to the mirror.
I put it on the passenger side rather than the drivers side, it doesn't really affect the pov of the camera and I don't notice it at all.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
(This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 02:16pm by RacingSnake.)
29-12-2013 02:15pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MarkA_

Yep this is exactly what I was after, thanks!

How did you find positioning so it doesn't get in the way of the auto high mean assist and any other sensors behind the mirror?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
29-12-2013 03:27pm
RacingSnake

I also forgot to mention, when running the cable from the fuse box, pull the door seal off, and you have about a 5mm gap to perfectly slot the cable up until you need to remove the A pillar trim, it will save you a lot of fiddle bits trying to thread the cable up the side of the dash.

As for the positioning, it doesn't affect the sensors at all, as they're built into the mirror mount, and of course the screen 'shading' also rules out a 2in space around the sensors too.

I know the pics aren't great, but you get the idea of where I put it.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
29-12-2013 04:18pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

I bought the Blackvue front & rear cameras & the supplying dealer installed it all for me @ £399 all in.
Sounds Alarming in Welling, Nort Kent (South East London). They have done audio bits for me too in the other cars & I am very happy.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
29-12-2013 07:36pm
RacingSnake

Mine is the Blackout 550, £399 sounds like a lot to me, the unit was only £230 , so £170 for fitting seems a bit steep for 2 wires and 1 torx bit! lol

But I wouldn't recommend the blackout anyway, certainly not the DR550 like mine - the rear cam interferes with the DAB reception, and the macroblocking from the low bitrate is very disappointing.

I think I'd go with the Roadhawk HD for the other cars, and with hindsight, wouldn't have got the blackvue.

30-12-2013 10:17am
AAA86

Just wondering why would some even consider putting a dash cam on his car? I thought about a 30 sec and then skipped it! Whats the use other than maybe capturing a funny things happening on the road or serious accident?!
30-12-2013 12:29pm
MarkA_

Yeah I was going to pickup a road hawk hd.

30-12-2013 12:30pm
RacingSnake

(30-12-2013 12:29pm)AAA86 Wrote:  Just wondering why would some even consider putting a dash cam on his car? I thought about a 30 sec and then skipped it! Whats the use other than maybe capturing a funny things happening on the road or serious accident?!
Maybe it's not big in Canada, but the instances of claims in the UK is rising, including 'staged' crashes, where someone brakes sharply in front of you etc etc they then screw your insurance for thousands of pounds for injury to people who weren't even in the car.

For me, I had a defining moment about 3 months ago when I was commuting in and someone on a mobile phone just wandered into my lane on my front wing, luckily I could and did brake, but since I was the 'car behind', the default claim would have been my fault.... so it's a personal protection thing.

Like I say, maybe you don't have such instances in Canada, but don't assume that everyone else doesn't have their good reasons Wink

(30-12-2013 12:30pm)MarkA_ Wrote:  Yeah I was going to pickup a road hawk hd.
Good choice, they're just about to release a new firmware to update the bitrate further making better quality still. From what I've seen it's a great camera.... make sure it is the 'HD' model though, as the regular roadhawk sits at the other end of the scale! (i.e. very poor)

(This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 01:29pm by RacingSnake.)
30-12-2013 01:27pm
Evo-king

Out of curiosity, if you declare the cameras to your insurer, are there any benefits?

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
01-01-2014 12:20am