Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ventilation System
wavey.dave

Ventilation System

What's the consensus on the best ventilation settings?

The manual says to leave it set to Auto, and the dealer suggested leaving it on Aircon all the time. My past experience is that aircon uses more fuel, and I find that auto just blasts cold air at me (even though the temp is set to 20).
08-08-2012 09:33am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

RE: Ventilation System

I only use auto and/or aircon when I need to get car cooled quickly, after that I tend to revert to using the rotary fan settings control.

Furthermore, it has been suggested on here the the numbers on the temp do not relate to celcius degrees but just a number, though this has never been confirmed.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
08-08-2012 10:01am
PhilSkill

Yep, like Evo-king I use air-con to initially cool the car or if it's raining to stop the windscreen misting up, otherwise I revert t 1 or 2 dots on the manual control and switch air-con on/off as needed. I always try to use air-con intermittently every week as this is supposed to be better for the seals in the units to stop them leaking the coolant gas (but that could be hear-say) and it also dries out the car internally.

I seem to remember Tim mentioning before about dealers recommending always leaving it on Auto, but I set it to what I'm comfortable with.

The dials are in Deg C but the accuracy is quite varied so it's just a guide to your preferred temp.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
08-08-2012 10:13am
doug

I would always leave the air con switched on. For years i have been telling my engineers to leave there's on all year round in they vans as come any hot whether it's stopped working. The seals in the compressor dry out.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
08-08-2012 10:22am
Stadt Panzer

Ventilation System

I'm with Doug. Put it on auto, aircon on, and let the system do what it was designed to do. Aircon will cost you the max of 1 ltr over 100 km. That shouldn't break anyone here Smile

Somewhere in the North Sea.
08-08-2012 12:05pm
Barneyridge

Yep i leave it in auto all the time, generally between 22.5 to 23.5. I have been told the same story about the seals drying out too....not sure if that is true or not

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
08-08-2012 12:48pm
wavey.dave

(08-08-2012 10:22am)doug Wrote:  I would always leave the air con switched on. For years i have been telling my engineers to leave there's on all year round in they vans as come any hot whether it's stopped working. The seals in the compressor dry out.

(08-08-2012 12:05pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  I'm with Doug. Put it on auto, aircon on, and let the system do what it was designed to do. Aircon will cost you the max of 1 ltr over 100 km. That shouldn't break anyone here Smile

(08-08-2012 12:48pm)Barneyridge Wrote:  Yep i leave it in auto all the time, generally between 22.5 to 23.5. I have been told the same story about the seals drying out too....not sure if that is true or not

Don't you find its too cold though, I know I can close the centre vents, but it just seems to blast Siberian level air at me Shocked
08-08-2012 01:44pm
Donny Dog

(08-08-2012 12:48pm)Barneyridge Wrote:  Yep i leave it in auto all the time, generally between 22.5 to 23.5. I have been told the same story about the seals drying out too....not sure if that is true or not

That would only happen with very prolonged inactivity - occasional use will suffice.

(08-08-2012 12:05pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  I'm with Doug. Put it on auto, aircon on, and let the system do what it was designed to do. Aircon will cost you the max of 1 ltr over 100 km. That shouldn't break anyone here Smile

Or, put another way, that's about 10% of your fuel consumption!
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2012 09:36pm by Donny Dog.)
08-08-2012 09:33pm
Bodlyfunctions

Has anyone else done test to see how much air on actually drains their mpg? I only ask as I tried it over 4 tanks of fuel to get a better average and it made about 0.3mpg difference to the next 4 fill-ups with very similar driving, weather etc
I now just leave it on all the time.
08-08-2012 10:17pm
doug

In a small petrol engined car it would cause a drain in power & MPG. But in a 2L+ diesel I have never found it makes any difference

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
08-08-2012 10:47pm