Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upgrade to style 6 Alloys
slimtim123

I'm considering upgrading the alloys on my Pure from the 18" style 2's to a set of 20" style 6 or 7's, although I am tempted by going black.

On a popular auction site I've seen a company in Coventry selling "20" Genuine Evoque Alloy Wheels & Tyres Brand New" that appear to be style 6. They claim that the wheels and tyres are brand new and have never been on the open road, during build at Land Rover the tyres have picked up a puncture which has subsequently been repaired professionally by themselves". Given that they have had 14 full sets for sale it just seems odd that Land Rover would have that many punctures in their factory and then just let their wheels go for a fraction of the retail price.

It just doesn't seem plausible, although he does have good feedback. Does anyone else have experience of this ?

Also any recommendations on how best to trade my current set of 18"s for a set of 20" without having to buy and sell separately?

MY13 Pure Tech, SD4 Auto, Santorini Black, Ebony Leather, Panoramic, Privacy, Rear Camera, Front Fogs
10-04-2013 07:32am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Upgrade to style 6 Alloys

Remember the old adage........... "If it sounds too good to be true...............".
I would be very wary having been to the factory and seen the care that they take of all parts of the car during build, that cars pick up punctures in the factory - outside in the storage areas where completed cars are kept then it would be possible I suppose. All marques suffer fakes of their wheel designs - my sister's RRS has Evoque style 6 wheels that until recently (and certainly 4 years ago when she purchased the car used, with them on) LR never sold Stlye 6 to fit RRS hubs! One problem with feed-back on eBay is how do you know it is genuine..........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-04-2013 09:08am
recordman

There is a poster on the other RRE forum who bought four of these wheels/tyres and is very happy with them. I have to agree the advertisement did sound suspicious, but I suppose if it wasn't genuine why bother going into such detail about the punctures.

Sorry, can't offer any suggestions other than to buy and sell to make the change from 18" to 20"
10-04-2013 10:07am
Evogirl

I bought a set of these and can confirm they are genuine Land Rover Allloys....an absolute bargain, my tyre fitter mate agreed that they'd been repaired professionally too.
10-04-2013 04:29pm
The Valeter

I bought a set of style 7's off Ebay for my Pure for £950.00 from Birmingham then put my 18 inch Pure wheels on the bay & sold for £780.00.

When I did the factory tour back in February looking at my car being built the guy drove us round the factory outside areas & I do remember seeing lots of wheels that had been removed for various reasons but to be honest I can't recall why though I think one reason was a slight mark etc & there were lots of wheels being thrown away with perfectly good tyres on them & they stuck screwdrivers in the tyres to prevent the tyres being used/stolen.
I did say that along with many things that go on at factory's etc was absolutely stupid & he said they had realised this was daft & were changing the practice (same scenario with bumpers apparently) & were either selling bits off or re using for other projects so these may be some that were sold off.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
10-04-2013 10:26pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
slimtim123

Thanks The Valeter, sounds like an explanation
11-04-2013 07:12am
RichWilkie

I also changed my wheels (the same day I got my car) from 18" to Style 6 20" (With 255/45/20 tyres). A huge improvement on the looks and the cars handling felt great too.

As I had not driven more than 28 miles on the 18" I spent the next three months very frustrated with my Evoque's diesel consumption, averaging 21mpg local journeys and around 28mpg on the motorway (driving at speeds of 65 - 75 mph). On a full tank of diesel I could only get around 320 miles. I really was not happy about these very poor fuel consumption figures and after a few calls to the dealer and also Land Rover Customer Services, my car was booked in for a diagnostic session. I had a list of little items I asked them to resolve (these were all done) and they felt that The onboard computer needed to be told that the car now had 20" wheels not 18"'s. I had also changed my tyres to 245/45/20 Michelin (OEM rubber for the Evoque) even though I felt the 255/45/20 were closer in size to the 18" diameters.

The rub of it all is that I am now averaging 36mpg and 460 miles from a tank of diesel, so do you need to tell the onboard computer there is a wheel change??? Possibly.

I also bought my Michelin 245/45/20 tyres from a chap who was getting the tyres (not sure how) via a contact at the factory and although the tyres I bought had no damage or punctures, I was also told that when tyres are de-mounted at the factory, they are supposed to put a screwdriver through the sidewall so that the tyres can't be sold on. I was not sure about this, but it bears out what The Valeter heard.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 12:45pm by RichWilkie.)
11-04-2013 12:39pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

I'm not saying these are fakes (as I've no knowledge on that), but I read somewhere (maybe Tim on here??) about the dangers of cheap copy alloys. There was a picture of the entire rim having broken off at the spokes while in use, with potential serious consequences.

If LR have been putting screwdrivers through tyres to stop re-use, what was the cause of them being 'demounted' in the first place?

As to the engine management computer needing to be 'told' about the new wheels - I thought that the overall diameter remained the same either way, so what difference would it make to fuel consumption etc.? I'd be impressed if the answer is that the engine management can adjust for something as subtle as sidewall flexibility!
11-04-2013 04:19pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Of course you will also be telling your insurer that you are running your car on wheels that the makers deemed unacceptable for use and on tyres that they deliberately punctured to prevent use and were repaired and that you bought off an eBay dealer and not a recognised tyre supplier? And also that you have changed from 18" to 20" wheels.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 08:57pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-04-2013 08:54pm
slimtim123

So I took a punt and bought a set if the style 7 alloys, I figured if they weren't as described they'd be going straight back. They were delivered quickly and well packaged and do appear to be genuine Land Rover wheels with punctures all professionally repaired.

Unfortunately 2 out of the 4 were showing some signs of very light damage which makes me believe that they were rejected during the build process for quality issues. So they're going straight back. Seller was no problem at all and arranged for the courier to come and collect them and gave a full refund. Back to the drawing board.
17-04-2013 07:03pm