Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Updated - Towbar fitment guide now with 13 Pin electrics instructions
BFGEvoqueMan

Updated - Towbar fitment guide now with 13 Pin electrics instructions

As promised - hope its of useThumbs Up

Attached File(s)
.doc  How to fit a towbar.doc (Size: 738 KB / Downloads: 658)
.pdf  13Pin_fitting_instructions.pdf (Size: 1.11 MB / Downloads: 549)

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 09:50am by BFGEvoqueMan.)
08-02-2012 10:49am
Find all posts by this user
Wired

RE: Towbar Fitting Guide

(08-02-2012 10:49am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  As promised - hope its of useThumbs Up

Can we get this stickied as an important thread please??

Nice write up and clear pictures. I like it.

Maybe you could add a picture of the fuse box with the added fuses and relay and connected pins.
Did this come with the other electrics?

SD4 Automatic Prestige BALTIC BLUE - 5 DOOR - 19" wheels - Xeons - Tech pack - winter pack - Pano roof
08-02-2012 11:19am
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: Towbar Fitting Guide

Thanks,

Open the glovebox and remove the cover at the back (there is another in the footwell) and just stick in the 2 x 15amp fuses and a relay - job done!

TIP - if you have electric seats, make sure the passenger seat is right back before you start as access is a bit tight otherwise (you can guess how I worked that out...)

- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
08-02-2012 11:27am
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: Here is a personal guide for fitting a towbar

An ammendment:

I have discovered an occasional loud clonking noise coming from the rear of the car and found that the top of the left exhaust would kit the towbar when going over a large bump in the road. I have fixed this by wrapping a cable tie around the middle of the exhaust rubber mount (bit like a belt really) to restrict how much the rubber can compress - problem solved!

15-02-2012 11:27am
PETERH

Thanks for your excellent guide,I have been on the Bertelshofer website and note that they specify two sets of electrics,I do not speak or read German,which one should I choose if I only req single electrics and are the instructions in English?

Regards.
15-02-2012 12:59pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(15-02-2012 12:59pm)PETERH Wrote:  Thanks for your excellent guide,I have been on the Bertelshofer website and note that they specify two sets of electrics,I do not speak or read German,which one should I choose if I only req single electrics and are the instructions in English?

Regards.

I can't access the website from work, but it will say either 7 pol or 7 polig which is basically a 7N (black socket) or 13 pol(ig) which is 13 pin [note this is fully UK wired with pin 9 (perm live) and pin 10(ign live) enabled). If you just want electrics say for a bike rack or trailer then all you need is a 7pin socket, if you need to tow a caravan then you need 13 pin.

I have now attached the instructions in pdf form to the original post; as long as you can "read" pictures you will be alrightLaughing

Depending on postage costs from Germany, it might be cheaper for you to get the electric set from PFJones.co.uk? (still half the price of the "LR" boxed kit

(This post was last modified: 15-02-2012 02:31pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
15-02-2012 01:42pm
jj2f1

RE: Updated - Towbar fitment guide now with 13 Pin electrics instructions

Thank you for the write up. I haven't been able to find much information about the tow options here in the US.

Does anyone have similar information on the Land Rover hitch and tow bar that is an option here in the US? You can see a couple of photos here, http://www.landrover.com/us/en/rr/range-...essories/. You'll have to "Carrying and Towing". Then there are two photos one labeled "Tow Hitch" and the other labeled "Draw Bar". I have tried to figure out if the "Draw Bar" portion is removable since I will likely only tow 10-12 times a year. I did get to talk to Land Rover and they eventually said it could be removed but would have to be done by a dealer. Does anyone happen to have this fitted to their Evoque and/or know anything about it's difficulty in terms of removing the "Draw Bar" for occasional use? Unfortunately my local dealers don't have much detail on these items yet Rolling Eyes.

It's such a great looking car I would hate to attach a mostly unused appendage.
05-03-2012 07:45pm
PETERH

Do you have any advice regarding disconnection of the battery as the manual states that this should only be done by a dealer?

Regards.
01-04-2012 08:09pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(01-04-2012 08:09pm)PETERH Wrote:  Do you have any advice regarding disconnection of the battery as the manual states that this should only be done by a dealer?

Regards.

I switched the ignition off and took the key out of the car (in case it locked itself when I reconnnected). I then just undid the negative lead and removed from the battery terminal and put a piece of wood between the terminal and the connector as the way the cable kept wanting to force the connector to touch the battery terminal.

SIMPLES!!

04-04-2012 08:09am
T TTAM

(08-02-2012 10:49am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  As promised - hope its of useThumbs Up

I installed my Witter towbar this weekend and found your instructions very helpful. A big thanks!
I found that not only did I need to cut the top corners off of the heat shield but I also had to cut away some of the inner black plastic as well. I think that Witter should make a few adjustments to the towbar because, in my opinion, it does not quite fit without some additional cutting that they don't mention.

In any case, I have a question. How did you mount your electronics? My kit came with the ability to swing the electronics up and behind the bumper but the adpapter and the cables coming out the back would either be touching the muffler or would be very close to the muffler. I am curious if other had installed the electronics and what their thoughts/experiences are.

Cheers!
Matt

5 Door - Fuji White - Black Leather
Pure Premium Package: Panoramic Roof, Nav, Voice, Cameras, 19" Wheels,
Bi-Xenon, Fog Lights, Sat Radio, 825 Watt w. "plenty of speakers", and more....
04-06-2012 04:18am
Thread Closed