Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Updated - Towbar fitment guide now with 13 Pin electrics instructions
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: Updated - Towbar fitment guide now with 13 Pin electrics instructions

(04-06-2012 04:18am)T TTAM Wrote:  I installed my Witter towbar this weekend and found your instructions very helpful. A big thanks!
I found that not only did I need to cut the top corners off of the heat shield but I also had to cut away some of the inner black plastic as well. I think that Witter should make a few adjustments to the towbar because, in my opinion, it does not quite fit without some additional cutting that they don't mention.

In any case, I have a question. How did you mount your electronics? My kit came with the ability to swing the electronics up and behind the bumper but the adpapter and the cables coming out the back would either be touching the muffler or would be very close to the muffler. I am curious if other had installed the electronics and what their thoughts/experiences are.

Cheers!
Matt

Glad to know you found the instructions useful. I too had to cut something out of the plastic bumper liner and agree with your comment. I used the turnable mount as you describe but have plenty of space to the silencer as I mounted ther cable coming out of the side of the socket and not out of the back (13 pin euro socket). If you are using this kit then the instructions show the options of how to do this by cutting a small piece out of the side and using the alternative rubber waterproof grommet supplied with the kit.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
04-06-2012 03:59pm
Find all posts by this user
PapaRod

(04-06-2012 04:18am)T TTAM Wrote:  I installed my Witter towbar this weekend and found your instructions very helpful. A big thanks!
I found that not only did I need to cut the top corners off of the heat shield but I also had to cut away some of the inner black plastic as well. I think that Witter should make a few adjustments to the towbar because, in my opinion, it does not quite fit without some additional cutting that they don't mention.

In any case, I have a question. How did you mount your electronics? My kit came with the ability to swing the electronics up and behind the bumper but the adpapter and the cables coming out the back would either be touching the muffler or would be very close to the muffler. I am curious if other had installed the electronics and what their thoughts/experiences are.

Cheers!
Matt
Could you tell me whether the Witter you fitted had a vertical or horizontal fit?

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
04-06-2012 09:43pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(04-06-2012 09:43pm)PapaRod Wrote:  Could you tell me whether the Witter you fitted had a vertical or horizontal fit?

It is horizontal detachable; all you see is the little receiver "box" in the photographs of the fitting instructions. The bumpoer cut is on the underside of the bumper, so again is pretty invisible if you remove it when the car is sold.

- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
06-06-2012 04:04pm
T TTAM

(04-06-2012 09:43pm)PapaRod Wrote:  Could you tell me whether the Witter you fitted had a vertical or horizontal fit?

It is a horizontal. I was originally looking for a vertical thinking that it would be less visible but I liked the look in the provided photos so I went with the same.

I still need to smooth the edges of my bumper cut out but here are a few picks of the towbar install. I still need to add the electronics..... waiting for a method to have them completely hidden when not in use.

https://picasaweb.google.com/11326155061...directlink

5 Door - Fuji White - Black Leather
Pure Premium Package: Panoramic Roof, Nav, Voice, Cameras, 19" Wheels,
Bi-Xenon, Fog Lights, Sat Radio, 825 Watt w. "plenty of speakers", and more....
08-06-2012 01:34pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(08-06-2012 01:34pm)T TTAM Wrote:  It is a horizontal. I was originally looking for a vertical thinking that it would be less visible but I liked the look in the provided photos so I went with the same.

I still need to smooth the edges of my bumper cut out but here are a few picks of the towbar install. I still need to add the electronics..... waiting for a method to have them completely hidden when not in use.

Good to know the instructions were helpful, but you have a bigger cut than mine Sad

08-06-2012 04:49pm
PapaRod

(08-06-2012 04:49pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Good to know the instructions were helpful, but you have a bigger cut than mine Sad

Are you just harassing his craftmanship - or did you do it in an different way?Cool
(08-06-2012 01:34pm)T TTAM Wrote:  It is a horizontal. I was originally looking for a vertical thinking that it would be less visible but I liked the look in the provided photos so I went with the same.

Did you go as far as finding a vertical solution for the Evo? I think it looks good on your car, but I imagine that the vertical would require not cut at all...Rolling Eyes

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 05:17pm by PapaRod.)
08-06-2012 05:16pm
BFGEvoqueMan

No imlication over the quality, just that he has cut about twice as much vertically out of the bumper as I have.

08-06-2012 08:50pm
T TTAM

(08-06-2012 08:50pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  No imlication over the quality, just that he has cut about twice as much vertically out of the bumper as I have.

I was a bit surprised as well that the cut out was larger than I thought it was going to be. It is still pretty small and I don't mind how it looks. Your first picks with no cut out at all would never have even been possible with mine as the bumper would never been able to go back on. Cheers!

5 Door - Fuji White - Black Leather
Pure Premium Package: Panoramic Roof, Nav, Voice, Cameras, 19" Wheels,
Bi-Xenon, Fog Lights, Sat Radio, 825 Watt w. "plenty of speakers", and more....
08-06-2012 10:22pm
PapaRod

Still me trying to find a decent detachable towbar. Surely there must be others on the forum that struggled with the solutions available...ShockedEmbarrassed

I see on Westfalias webpage that they claim to have a vertically detachable bar that fits RRE. Is there anyone in the forum that knows about that particular bar and if it also requires a cut like the rest seems to be doing?

13-06-2012 07:24pm
PapaRod

(13-06-2012 07:24pm)PapaRod Wrote:  Still me trying to find a decent detachable towbar. Surely there must be others on the forum that struggled with the solutions available...ShockedEmbarrassed

I see on Westfalias webpage that they claim to have a vertically detachable bar that fits RRE. Is there anyone in the forum that knows about that particular bar and if it also requires a cut like the rest seems to be doing?

Bump! No one with experience of the Westfalia bar?

18-06-2012 08:47pm
Thread Closed