Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UK: Association of British Insurers - Winter tyres commitment
Pommyboi

UK: Association of British Insurers - Winter tyres commitment

Not so relevant at the moment with our nice weather and it is under review in August 2012 but may be a useful reference later in the year:

Last updated: 19/03/2012 16:15

WINTER TYRES – THE MOTOR INSURANCE COMMITMENT

Motor insurers recognise that some motorists may wish to fit winter tyres to their car during cold weather. Motor insurers recognise that, whilst no substitute for common sense driving, winter tyres can have a positive impact on improving road safety. In the past there has been some uncertainty for insured customers about the insurance premium implications of fitting winter tyres to their cars. To assist in reducing this potential uncertainty, the ABI has produced the Commitment set out below which sets out the position of those named motor insurers in respect of the impact on the insurance premiums of their insured customers if a customer wishes to fit winter tyres to their car.

As can be seen, often motor insurers will not charge an additional premium when their insured customers use winter tyres, provided that they meet, and are fitted in accordance with, the vehicle manufacturers’ specifications and are in a roadworthy condition.

However, some motor insurers may require you to contact them to let them know if you do choose to fit winter tyres. The name of your insurer and their contact information can be found on your insurance policy documentation (summary details are provided below). It is important to remember that sometimes your motor insurer may be different from the company that sold you your insurance policy.

This Confirmation will apply from 22 November 2011 until 31 August 2012 at which time it will be reviewed.

Please note that this Commitment only applies to cars used for personal use that are insured under a private or personal use car insurance policy.

Full details: http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consum...tment.aspx

On order: Feb 2012 - Pure, 5 door, SD4 auto, Style 4 wheels, Front parking, fog lights, rear camera, spare wheel. Red Contrast roof, Ebony- final spec TBC
29-03-2012 12:13am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: UK: Association of British Insurers - Winter tyres commitment

Interesting find Pommy. I would have been much nicer if they had said "while some insurers give a discount for those using winter tyres" instead of some insurers don't charge extra! If my premium goes up for running winter tyres I'll be looking for a new insurer who like me to try and protect their interests.
I had it with my household policy - they required me to shut down all the heating after 28 days of unoccupancy so I contacted them and told them where I live and the aspect in the winter and that I wanted to leave the nightstore heaters and panel heaters on their frost-stat setting and that by doing so I was looking after their interest in the care of the property. Took them a few days to work out what I was talking about, but eventually I got an email back saying the underwriters were happy that I leave the heating on, even above the frost-stat setting, and even better they gave me a discounted premium as I was taking action to protect my property from winter cold!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 02:49pm by XFullFatTim.)
29-03-2012 02:45pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply