Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tyre question again ..
Jonathon555

Tyre question again ..

I am going to order an sd4 4wd. I am concerned that the summer road Tyres that are fitted will render the car useless in the snow.

Which means I am still going to have to buy winter Tyres anyway .

Or am I wrong ?

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
15-10-2011 05:35pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

RE: Tyre question again ..

Hi Jonathan 555
All the Evoques, to my knowledge, are booted up with all season rather than summer tyres. My dealer and those I spoke to on the unleashed days confirmed that it would not be necessary to buy winter tyres. Notwithstanding that winter tyres would give better traction but they are not vital.

Cheers

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2011 05:42pm by griff.)
15-10-2011 05:42pm
paulelescoces

Hi Griff, I am not sure that is accurate in reality (it would not be the first dealer to talk nonsense)... the contis which are being specified are summer tyres (ContiCrosscontact UHP).
I have specified style 6 and I am looking to get some Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice.

Delivered: SD4 Prestige Auto 5 Door, Fuji White with Vibe interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Electric Tailgate, Winter Pack, Adaptive Xenons, Roofrails...
15-10-2011 05:48pm
griff

I know my tyres are Pirellis on my car but I too am planning putting Pirelli ice and snow tyres on. The tyres on the prestige I drove at the unleashed event were cross contacts.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
15-10-2011 05:53pm
Jonathon555

The only Tyres I have seen so far on evoques are conti cross contacts and Michelin latitudes they both appear to be summer Tyres.

Which is disappointing as I would like ones for all year round.

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
15-10-2011 05:53pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you have the Conti's they are a summer tyre, if you are looking for Pirelli S&I you will have a long wait as there is no stock in the UK at present and my tyre supplier has changed my order to Conti's equivalent and there's a shortage of them as well. I'm thinking of cancelling my order at the tyre centre all together and just making do with my Defender on it's AT's if I have to travel in the snow over the winter

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-10-2011 05:57pm
Jonathon555

So will a standard 4wd Evoque be useless in the snow ?

15-10-2011 06:04pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Absolutely not! LR has engineered the car to run year round on these tyres, it's only personal preference or legal requirements in Europe that people want winter tyres. I suspect LR fits the tyres it does for either fuel economy reasons or noise reasons.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2011 06:07pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-10-2011 06:05pm
rchrdleigh

No it won't be useless and it will be better than any 2 wheel drive car fitted with summer tyres. Providing you drive at a sensible speed for the conditions and allow more time to slow or stop you should be fine. Last winter in my Freelander 2 on standard Continental 4x4 Contacts I had no difficulty in negotiating the snow and also coped fine on a trip to the Swiss Alps in my previous Freelander 2 on standard Wrangler HP tyres. Land Rover Experience vehicles run on standard tyres all year round and don't seem to have too many problems in snow and ice.
Obviously though winter tyres will probably be better.

In a previous Discovery on standard tyres the French Gendarmes waved me through despite the sign stating chains were obligatory and I had no problem climbing the hill to the village centre.
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2011 06:12pm by rchrdleigh.)
15-10-2011 06:10pm
hybris

Over here 20" is summer tires. Terrible in winter conditions. As I said in another thread not much help that you have a 4*4 when you are on summer tires.

All year are bad "all year". Maybe ok in the UK. In Sweden no people go for all year.

I will buy aftermarket 19" and winter tires for mine. (if I get it when its still snow. Who knows... November production might go into June considering how lousy LR seems to be...) I will probably go for Nokkian Hakka 7 SUV or their non spiked winter tires. Made in Finland for winter conditions in the North.
And yes summer tires are lousy in Snow and really dangerous on ice. Trust me Im from Sweden. Wink

Order of Evoque Dynamic cancelled due to delays and no information on delivery date. Wish you all the best of luck and hope you will receive your cars soon. Its a lovely car! Many thanks for all great answers and feedback on this forum! Take care! Cheers! /Hybris
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2011 06:27pm by hybris.)
15-10-2011 06:25pm