Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trailer hitch wiring : anyone done it themselves?
chrisell

Has anyone attempted the trailer electrics wiring themselves? Looks like you need to take the rear bumper off to get access to the wiring run. I don't mind having a go at doing the hitch myself but the wiring is what has me concerned. Thanks Smile

Chris.
12-02-2014 06:03am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BobM

RE: Trailer hitch wiring : anyone done it themselves?

(12-02-2014 06:03am)chrisell Wrote:  Has anyone attempted the trailer electrics wiring themselves? Looks like you need to take the rear bumper off to get access to the wiring run. I don't mind having a go at doing the hitch myself but the wiring is what has me concerned. Thanks Smile

Is it the genuine LR wiring kit or is it the generic wiring kit?

Pure, SD4, Auto, 5 door, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ebony, privacy, rear camera, front sensors, fog lights, spare wheel, auto lights and wipers - Delivered 14.3.15 Very Happy

Gone but not forgotten - Old rattly 1.3.12 - 31.5.13 - Pure, SD4, manual, 5 door, Fuji, 19" style 4, ebony/ebony, spare wheel, privacy.
12-02-2014 10:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dougrobling

If you only need the "flat" four pin connector, Curt makes a harness that just plugs into the existing wiring. There are two harness ends with dead end plugs located in the drivers side rear and this harness just plugs into the larger of those. I installed mine in just a few minutes when adding my hitch. Nothing other than the protective cap on the Evoque wiring had to be removed.
14-02-2014 11:19am
themetz

I did this on our Disco 4 - the wife was very impressed with me!

Easy enough job - just need to be careful to put anything you take off back in the same place, and whilst it's off the car make sure it goes on a soft dust sheet or similar to avoid scratches.
14-02-2014 12:38pm
chrisell

(14-02-2014 11:19am)Dougrobling Wrote:  If you only need the "flat" four pin connector, Curt makes a harness that just plugs into the existing wiring. There are two harness ends with dead end plugs located in the drivers side rear and this harness just plugs into the larger of those. I installed mine in just a few minutes when adding my hitch. Nothing other than the protective cap on the Evoque wiring had to be removed.

Whereabouts are these dead ends? The installation guide on Topix seems to show you need to take the rear light out. I'm curious how you did this so easily. Did you take the bumper off? Info on doing this is scant to non existent. Sad I'd like to do the curt hitch and generic flat 4 pin plug. Any tips would be appreciated.

Chris.
16-02-2014 05:24am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dougrobling

The plugs were on the drivers side rear (US). I didn't have to take the bumper off at all, but I did have the exhaust hanging down as I was installing the hitch at the time. I will go out later today when it warms up a bit, and see if I can get a picture for you...
16-02-2014 02:02pm
chrisell

(16-02-2014 02:02pm)Dougrobling Wrote:  The plugs were on the drivers side rear (US). I didn't have to take the bumper off at all, but I did have the exhaust hanging down as I was installing the hitch at the time. I will go out later today when it warms up a bit, and see if I can get a picture for you...

That would be very useful - thanks !

Chris.
16-02-2014 03:27pm
Dougrobling

[attachment=3906]Here is a picture of the two plugs. I already have the Curt harness plugged in so only one is empty now...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

16-02-2014 05:53pm
chrisell

Wow. They're literally under the car wide open to the elements? I had no idea. I'll go and crawl around and have a look. Thanks.

Chris.
16-02-2014 07:36pm
Dougrobling

Yep, right there. They have sealed "caps" on them to keep the internal connections clean. You just remove the cap from the 8-pin connector and plug in the harness adaptor. Pretty simple.
16-02-2014 07:40pm