Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Time to change car...
Tosh

Time to change car...

We ordered our car at launch weekend in 2011 and took delivery in March 2012. It's done us proud, and without issues, for 60k miles and we've been looking at options to replace it, and for a variety of reasons have plumped to stay Evoque: Drives like a car, handy in London, eats miles, tows our Airstream

We could wait for the new launch and spec new again, despite having sworn we'd not do new again. Depreciation has not been fun and we either end up buying new and taking that initial hit, then a slope, or buy used and takea steeper slope when the new model is finally launched.

So we are looking at a very recent (<1yr) used model, in petrol (we will be in the ULEZ in London in April, a reason for the change from our current diesel).

The car we are looking at (2017 Autobiography) has 20" wheels and the ride is far harsher than my 18s... So the question is, can one swap 20s for 19s without issue (eg brake discs...)? Possibly a cost implication unless someone wants to swap wheels Very Happy

Thx

Prestige 5dr SD4 auto. Lux pack. Ipanema sand/Spirit. Privacy glass. Ordered 10 Sept, delivered 6 March 2012
02-11-2018 08:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: Time to change car...

You can swap wheels without any problems and you’ll have no bother at all swapping your 20” Autobiography ones for a set of anything else. Personally, I’d keep them. We have 20”'s on our Dynamic and even in Dynamic mode, I don’t find them too harsh. I’d advise you to try them for a while before considering a swap. Good luck with the new car and I hope it’s as trouble free as your old one.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
03-11-2018 12:45pm
wungun

RE: Time to change car...

(02-11-2018 08:22pm)Tosh Wrote:  We ordered our car at launch weekend in 2011 and took delivery in March 2012. It's done us proud, and without issues, for 60k miles and we've been looking at options to replace it, and for a variety of reasons have plumped to stay Evoque: Drives like a car, handy in London, eats miles, tows our Airstream

We could wait for the new launch and spec new again, despite having sworn we'd not do new again. Depreciation has not been fun and we either end up buying new and taking that initial hit, then a slope, or buy used and takea steeper slope when the new model is finally launched.

So we are looking at a very recent (<1yr) used model, in petrol (we will be in the ULEZ in London in April, a reason for the change from our current diesel).

The car we are looking at (2017 Autobiography) has 20" wheels and the ride is far harsher than my 18s... So the question is, can one swap 20s for 19s without issue (eg brake discs...)? Possibly a cost implication unless someone wants to swap wheels Very Happy

Thx
What rubber does it have? I bought my '13 Dynamic used with 20's, and the original tires were replaced with Goodyear Eagle Sport tires...
The important thing to consider on low profile tires is the load rating... Which is generally overlooked.
My Eagles are rated 103, which can be loaded to over 1900lbs per tire!
Obviously, being sport tires, the sidewalls are STIFF to enhance responsiveness. And the ride is pretty firm... That and I have H&R drop springs (I would NOT recommend these... Look great, but ruin the ride).

I purchased a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 luxury touring tires. Load rating 99 (1700lbs.... Seems in this size, that's the lowest you can go). I've yet to mount them (running my winter set currently) but people rave about a quite, smooth ride.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
04-11-2018 07:14pm