Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Test drive done and dusted! Now more confused than ever!
s111cor

Many thanks to Hatfield LR in Hull for the 3 hour test drive this morning. Had the use of a mauritius blue 5dr with white panoramic roof Pure tech auto sd4.
Gotta say what a drive! Having been used to a 2l 170 Tdi A5 I couldn't believe how much car like the drive was and the pick up was excellent. Thought that the inside space was good too and the almond interior surprised me too.
Salesman was excellent and didn't push and offered to lend me a manual sometime in September when new demonstrators will be registered.
What surprised me was when I mentioned I was looking at a manual that he was pushing me towards the Td4 rather than Sd4? He said that I would find it very difficult to know the difference between the two unless I was towing something - I'm no boy racer but surely you can tell?
I'd made my mind up with sd4 but now I'm confused and so is it worth saving or more extras and going td4?
I know the 0-60 difference is just 0.8s but what are the mid range comparisons like. My wife had a X3 150 bhp and this was sluggish and tractor like!
I need help!!!

Pure SD4 5 door in Orkney Grey with Pan Roof, fog lights and cirrus leather. Standard 18 wheels
28-08-2012 09:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barton Evoque

RE: Test drive done and dusted! Now more confused than ever!

I tried both and went for the td4 in the end.really couldn't tell the difference myself as you say cheaper as well.but if you want twin exhausts sd4 is for you.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
28-08-2012 09:16pm
s111cor

Thanks Barton Evoque I think I need to try them I guess. Not too bothered about single or twin exhausts I just don't want to have a drive like the X3!

Pure SD4 5 door in Orkney Grey with Pan Roof, fog lights and cirrus leather. Standard 18 wheels
28-08-2012 09:21pm
Craig_d1

Price difference is £1,050 between the two engines. Think how long you're going to keep the car, then your affordability. If you think it'll constantly nag at your thoughts that it might be underpowered, is it worth paying an extra £350 a year( if you kept the car for 3 yrs).
Good luck with your decision
28-08-2012 09:42pm
s111cor

(28-08-2012 09:42pm)Craig_d1 Wrote:  Price difference is £1,050 between the two engines. Think how long you're going to keep the car, then your affordability. If you think it'll constantly nag at your thoughts that it might be underpowered, is it worth paying an extra £350 a year( if you kept the car for 3 yrs).
Good luck with your decision

Know what you mean and sd4 is shouting buy me whereas td4 was always 2nd choice originally!

28-08-2012 09:48pm
Bodlyfunctions

I drove both back to back on the same route. Could not tell the difference. Likewise my LR rep was suggesting Td4 over Sd4. I took the Td4 and don't regret it. As said before though, if you want twin exhausts, then pay the extra £1k. Personally I invested the money into things I would see and use. Happy decision making. It is each to their own
28-08-2012 09:55pm
griff

It really depends on what you have been used to. I opted for the SD4 and the mid range torque and acceleration really makes me feel more comfortable when pushing on.

If you like to pootle along then TD4 will be fine. As they used to say in an old TV programme - the choice is yours!Wink

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
28-08-2012 10:31pm
Griff449

I had two Freelander TD4 and now I'm moving to thenEvoque it had to remain thebTD4 for me.

Although it would have been nice to have had the twin exhaust Sad

Had a Pure TD4, Fuji White - now have Dynamic SD4, Fuji White 9 Speed auto with Verve Interior - let the new project begin!
29-08-2012 07:51am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightFox

Another thing you might want to consider is whether there will be more demand for SD4s than TD4s on the second hand market when you come to sell. I'm sure the difference won't be as much as the £1000 difference at new, but it effectively reduces that £350/yr over 3 years that Craig_d1 mentioned by quite a chunk.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
(This post was last modified: 29-08-2012 10:01am by NightFox.)
29-08-2012 10:01am
GibEvoque

I also went for TD4, reason you can't tell the difference is that while there is 40bhp difference, the torque figures are very similar, so uptil 60-70mph there is very little difference in real world conditions, also meant i had a a bit more to spend on luxuries.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
(This post was last modified: 29-08-2012 11:37am by GibEvoque.)
29-08-2012 11:37am