Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TPMS Question....
evoquemayne

TPMS Question....

Hi,

If I spec TPMS, would anything be different if changed my set of wheels afterwards? Also, do you think it's actually very useful. I'm in two minds.

Thanks in advance!
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 02:15pm by cjfp.)
03-05-2012 02:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: TMPS Question....

Check these out

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-TPMS-Help...light=Tpms

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-TPMS-sens...light=Tpms

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-After-Mar...light=Tpms

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-TPMS-sens...light=Tpms

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Good-news...light=Tpms

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-TPMS?highlight=Tpms

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 02:12pm by cjfp.)
03-05-2012 02:12pm
Straydox

RE: TMPS Question....

I think the LR system have sensors inside the rims so your choice for aftermarket rims maybe limited (some systems don't use electronic sensors inside the wheel at all).

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
03-05-2012 02:13pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: TPMS Question....

I have TPMS on my car - it has special sensors inside the tyre. LR says you can only fit them to certain styles of wheel but that is if you order them from the factory! I have summer tyres on 20" Style 6 with sensors and for my winter tyres I have 19" Style 3 which according to LR you cannot have TPMS on but I have and it works fine. If you have TPMS ad fit wheels without sensors all you will get is a warning light on the dash. The LR system is a "cheap" system in that it doesn't register the pressures in the tyres it only registers when you are loosing air out of a tyre. TBH it's a waste of money as it doesn't give you any useful info until after you have punctured the tyre. Only thing going for it is that there is no fancy setting up as is suggested in the owner's manual - all I do is when the wheels get changed I mark which corner they came off so that the same wheel goes to the same corner when I do the next change

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 04:43pm by XFullFatTim.)
03-05-2012 04:42pm
mark_n

This is what the RRE lacks - a real time display of the pressure in each wheel. It's provided as standard in my 911 turbo but even when an option, it's the same price as the RRE. All the RRE provides is a warning, by which time it's probably too late to save the tyre by inflating it until a repair can be done if possible.

Soon, all cars will have to have TPMS and the cheap way is to monitor the wheel rotation speed and pick up a trend in increasing differences - flat tyres rotate faster because they have a smaller rolling radius.

As an option then, it's expensive and the sensors have to be replaced every 5 or 6 years when the batteries wear out.

I'd have it in a heart-beat if LR were to provide a proper level of function but they haven't, so I pulled it from my order.

[Image: vzg38z.jpg]

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
03-05-2012 04:57pm
evoquemayne

Thanks all for the help. I was under the impression it would be the proper setup including tyre pressure display, but am sadly let down.

However, in the interests of safety, I'm still leaning towards it. It's still better than having no warning at all, before the car starts tilting!

Thanks again.
Mark - do you mind me asking what interior you got with your outer combo? I just ordered a Firenze Red/Black Pano roof combo, with Pimento interior. Courageous, but i think it looks fantastic on balance!
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 11:17am by evoquemayne.)
04-05-2012 11:16am
smayo

I'm sure the normal advice is to regularly check tyre pressures (both for safety and economy reasons), which you will have to do anyway with the system on the RRE since it does not inform you of the pressures, so how does the TPMS help?

It's likely that by the time the system warns you of falling tyre pressue that you should have put some air in long before, and if you have a quick flat then it's of no help at all.

I did consider TPMS as an option but because of the cost and for the above reasons decided against it.

IMHO a good tyre pressure guage is a much more worthwhile investment, and is also a tiny fraction of the cost.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
04-05-2012 12:10pm
mark_n

Yes, I think pimento is a brave choice. The reds go ok together but I think there is too much of it. I went for plain black but with a black car, I think piemento would be great.

Smayo: my thoughts exactly.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
04-05-2012 12:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Even though I have TPMS I check my tyres weekly and adjust the pressures as required, same with screen wash top-up and oil level check. TBH I think the TPMS on the Evoque is a waste of time and money as I suspect it will not warn
of low pressures from a slow puncture until the tyre is almost flat

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-05-2012 03:26pm
evoquemayne

Red is my favourite colour anywhere, I'm sure i'll manage. Very Happy

Guys, thoughts firmly taken on board. I will probably leave it now. £405 is not cheap by any stretch, especially if it is as poor as is described.
04-05-2012 05:49pm