Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Sub Par Infotainment System
RangeRobere

Sub Par Infotainment System

Hi all,

Sorry my first post is negative! Overall, I have had a near perfect experience with my MY 2016 HSE Dynamic and I hope to contribute positively elsewhere, but this question pops into my head every time I am in the vehicle.

My question: Can we expect a software update for the infotainment system? Part of my job is in UI design and this system is unacceptable by today's standards. One example, which may be the most glaring problem, is if I am listening to Satellite Radio, the screen does not show the name of the song playing, only the artist, album, and station genre. What on earth was LR thinking? If they lowered the font by 1pt they could fit all four lines of the song data on the screen. Not to mention how sluggish it is - very embarrassing! This is a product that was clearly not tested among end users because they would have pointed out these problems as soon as they sat down.

Overall, it needs to be streamlined. It shouldn't take half a dozen taps to arrive at simple information, but most useful screens are buried in menus. They should have a dedicated UX/UI designer working on this, and if they already do, they should be fired or take a few courses in modern design. If anyone from LR reads this forum, I would be happy to provide a list of issues Wink

I hope LR does plan on updating the software in the future, I can't be the only one who has noticed this problem. I hope you'll agree with me!

-Robere
19-02-2016 05:45pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndyFrance

RE: Sub Par Infotainment System

Hi RangeRobere and welcome,

I agree, it's clunky, slow to react and satnav input is a very firm press and then a wait before it catches up with itself. Basically, it's way out of date, even compared to the cheapest touch phone. What makes it worse for me.........My teenage daughter laughing about how bad it is.

I wouldn't hold your breathe waiting for a software update......I think there's more chance of MY17 coming with a tandoor as standard kit.

Cheers
Andy
19-02-2016 08:40pm
coastev

Hi and welcome,

Gee I have a MY 15 (Aust Spec) and I have been staggered by how bad the interface is, slow and clumsy. I have a 2013 Audi with a much better interface, so I was surprised to hear the MY16 still has these issues.

Good luck, and dont forget the good old windscreen GPS wont work either if you have the Solar attenuating windscreen (which to be honest I think does nothing)
20-02-2016 05:17am
AndyFrance

+ MY16 GPS pre-installed maps are from 2014 with no free update's. I had a Dacia with a LG infotainment/GPS, it came with the latest map set and free update's for the first 6 months.

A JLR rip-off?
20-02-2016 09:21am
EosMilan

Hi RangeRobere!,
unluckily the infotainment system of the Evoque has never been the best. Sorry to say, but the 16MY system will very soon be updated with the InControl Touch Pro and a wider 10.2" interface and no physical buttons at the sides of the main screen, as seen on the upcoming Convertible.

So the Evoque has gone into three infotainment updates: 12MY/15MY first generation 8", 16MY second generation 8" and 16.5/17MY with the new 10.8" Pro version.

See here a video of the new features:

See you!!,
Eos
20-02-2016 12:58pm
RangeRobere

(20-02-2016 12:58pm)EosMilan Wrote:  Hi RangeRobere!,
unluckily the infotainment system of the Evoque has never been the best. Sorry to say, but the 16MY system will very soon be updated with the InControl Touch Pro and a wider 10.2" interface and no physical buttons at the sides of the main screen, as seen on the upcoming Convertible.

So the Evoque has gone into three infotainment updates: 12MY/15MY first generation 8", 16MY second generation 8" and 16.5/17MY with the new 10.8" Pro version.

See here a video of the new features:

See you!!,
Eos

Maybe there will be a firmware update available at some point. I think I can rely on my phone for most everything - Music, Navigation, Traffic, Weather, even compass/heading!

One can dream...
19-04-2016 06:04pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Interesting to see that in the video LR has put the seat heating/ cooling controls into the infotainment system............. I have the same controls in my 2015MY RRS and they are the worst ever way to operate heated seats requiring the driver to take his eyes off the road to find a switch on the dash then look at the screen to switch on / off / adjust the temperature and then it disappears so when you have had your backside roasted you have to go through the whole rigmarole to switch the heater off agai. For 2016MY LR returned the controls to where they originally were (a press/press/press adjuster on the dash) with separate controls for each seat. Owners on RRSport kicked up a huge fuss about the system installed in L494 RRS and LR listened but it seems that the bowfins who always know best haven't listened to RRS owners with the new system in Evoque.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-04-2016 09:35am
BigFoot

I have a MY12 Evoque with the "Premium" sound system and there has not been a firmware upgrade for my car in four years. Good luck with that request. Don't get me started!!! If you select animation mode and then select Audio, you can expect 3-10 seconds before ANY Audio screen. Every time I do it, it think it's broken. This is less than unacceptable. I have 8000 songs on my iPod - with well over 1000 artists, and close to 1000 albums. Try flipping through those, one page per button press, to select a song/artist/album. Nope, not even scrolling, and no alphabet index to choose from. Finally, my outdated SERIUS satellite radio (which does not support XM - only 12% of the full SeriusXM channel list), requires flipping through pages also - one page per button press is also a driving safety hazard. My girlfriend has a VW Golf at less than half the price of my car that has touch screen, scrolling, full XM, song and artist listings...

I have a MY12 Evoque with the "Premium" sound system and there has not been a firmware upgrade for my car in four years. Good luck with that request. Don't get me started!!! If you select animation mode and then select Audio, you can expect 3-10 seconds before ANY Audio screen. Every time I do it, it think it's broken. This is less than unacceptable. I have 8000 songs on my iPod - with well over 1000 artists, and close to 1000 albums. Try flipping through those, one page per button press, to select a song/artist/album. Nope, not even scrolling, and no alphabet index to choose from. Finally, my outdated SERIUS satellite radio (which does not support XM - only 12% of the full SeriusXM channel list), requires flipping through pages also - one page per button press is also a driving safety hazard. My girlfriend has a VW Golf at less than half the price of my car that has touch screen, scrolling, full XM...
(This post was last modified: 30-06-2016 02:15am by BigFoot.)
30-06-2016 02:14am