Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Steering problem update
memota

RE: Steering problem update

When I was a young engineer we used to supply steel parts to Delphi for steering racks. They are extremely tightly toleranced things. If the bar was slightly bent, or out of round after grinding you'd have problems. Doesn't take much at all - worn tooling.

Glad they're sorting it out for you.
(This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 01:12pm by memota.)
23-11-2011 09:43am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluebear

(23-11-2011 09:22am)woodhouse Wrote:  Hi Bluebear They are fitting a new steering rack today. They say that even when it was on the ramp with wheels off there was still tight spots when the steering wheel was turned. Fortunatly they had a rack in stock. Nick at Landrover CRC has been very helpful in chasing the dealer and making sure they are have all the info they need. I hope to get the car back tomorrow, will let you know the outcome.

Thanks woodhouse, Nick has been in touch with me also, which is really reassuring so I hope that I have a solution very soon.

Collected - Pure Coupe SD4 Tech Auto, fuji with Almond/Expresso interior. Style 5 19" alloys, panoramic roof, xenons, privacy glass, electric adjustment exterior mirrors, rear camera, park assist, fog lamps, spare wheel
23-11-2011 11:50am
mark_n

(23-11-2011 09:22am)woodhouse Wrote:  Hi Bluebear They are fitting a new steering rack today. They say that even when it was on the ramp with wheels off there was still tight spots when the steering wheel was turned. Fortunatly they had a rack in stock. Nick at Landrover CRC has been very helpful in chasing the dealer and making sure they are have all the info they need. I hope to get the car back tomorrow, will let you know the outcome.

I'm pleased they followed my recommendation (see Post #4 in this thread).

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
24-11-2011 06:03am
mk82

I picked up my Evoque yesterday and went it for 500km.. After 2 hrs I noticed that steering got as hard as discribed driving faster than 130 km/h. Just a few seconds less of 80 km/h all problems were gone. Very bad feeling. This weekend I am going to test it again. If it crop up again, Eyoque goes to garage.

Are there more then us with this problem?

My VIN: 622....

PURE 5dr SD4 Auto, Fuji - Almond/Espresso, rear cam, front-pdc, techp., navi, seatheating, xenon package without xenon

STUUUUNNNNNNNIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!! Thud
25-11-2011 08:49am
Acwats

(25-11-2011 08:49am)mk82 Wrote:  I picked up my Evoque yesterday and went it for 500km.. After 2 hrs I noticed that steering got as hard as discribed driving faster than 130 km/h. Just a few seconds less of 80 km/h all problems were gone. Very bad feeling. This weekend I am going to test it again. If it crop up again, Eyoque goes to garage.

Are there more then us with this problem?

My VIN: 622....

mk82- very similar to mine although I'm sure mine happened at 70mph
Anybody got any insight into how the power assistance is configured?

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
25-11-2011 05:42pm
woodhouse

Update of update!

New steering rack fitted and problem seems to be fixed, not been for a really long run yet but after 40 miles all seemed OK.

Fingers crossed!
29-11-2011 08:15pm
lrdaft

I have just noticed stiff steering above 70mph tonight on way home,is this normal?
Never noticed it before

Pure sd4 auto Fuji cirrus
07-12-2011 07:33pm
woodhouse

(07-12-2011 07:33pm)lrdaft Wrote:  I have just noticed stiff steering above 70mph tonight on way home,is this normal?
Never noticed it before

I would get it checked out by the dealer, I am sure Range Rover have had my old steering rack in bits by now to find out exactly what the problem is so they may well have some kind of service update
07-12-2011 09:10pm
lrdaft

Strange that I have not noticed it until now ,currently 1100 miles and only 1 degree outside,will try it again at weekend then phone the dealer
Woodhouse is yours now cured?

Pure sd4 auto Fuji cirrus
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 09:15pm by lrdaft.)
07-12-2011 09:14pm
CRC@LandRover

Hi lrdraft,

I'm from the Land Rover CRC.

I hope that this isn't something that you experience again however if you decide that you need to get your vehicle booked into the dealership and would like any assistance let me know.

Kind Regards

Nick

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
08-12-2011 01:07pm