Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spare wheel
caroline11000

RE: Spare wheel

(11-12-2011 08:42pm)Malferg Wrote:  Caroline,

My Spare wheel ordered as an extra with my Pure cost £120 with Vat and came with a jack, spanners and mounting bolt.
did you add it as an extra when you ordered the car or after delivery of the car? looking at replies above it costs more after delivery!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
11-12-2011 09:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Malferg

(11-12-2011 09:09pm)caroline11000 Wrote:  did you add it as an extra when you ordered the car or after delivery of the car? looking at replies above it costs more after delivery!

Caroline,

Sorry to say it was when I ordered it. We have been caught out in both my Discoverys in the past when the bad roads in the Scottish winter damaged the tyres so badly that we had to change the wheels there and then
11-12-2011 09:29pm
WB
WB

Hi Berlin, where did you look up the part numbers and prices if you dont mind me asking?
11-12-2011 09:50pm
berlin2011

I posted a link to the online spares catalogue a while back in the Technical section, re prices, there's a couple of online shops selling parts - easiest is just to take a part no and google it. That said, I'm sure Duckworth or some of the other guys mentioned on the forum selling parts will give better prices than the ones you get online. I had a few accessories shipped over by Dan from Duckworth and they were far more reasonable than the alternatives.

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
11-12-2011 09:57pm
PhilSkill

(11-12-2011 06:22pm)caroline11000 Wrote:  I didn't opt to buy a spare wheel when I ordered. When I picked up the car my salesman said that sometimes after using the tyre repair system the tyre cannot be repaired and you have to buy a new tyre. Any truth to this guys?
I noticed in the boot that because I don't have a spare tyre I also do not have a wheel nut tool or a jack! I am now wondering whether to buy a spare tyre, so will it come with a wheel nut tool & jack or are they extra? Also is it more expensive to buy after sales than it would have been on the original order?

It's not likely a tyre dealer will be interested in repairing a hole in a tyre after goo has been sprayed in it, So a nail in the tyre will likely not be easily repairable for example. I would try inflating without the goo to get you to a suitable location if possible, depending on the severity of the puncture of course, safety first.

I didn't order the spare, and I was really uncertain if that was the right decision but I've never had a puncture in 25 years of driving, i've had a few slow punctures... nails but always got home before even realising it's going down slowly, and if a tyre is damaged I'd rather replace it.

But I never considered that not having a spare meant no jack would be supplied!!! My Mini had a Jack with the tyre goo... but not the Evoque it seems, just been out to check mine!

I'm at the dealer tomorrow so will enquire about a jack, don't think my trusty old Toyota scissor jack would be of use for the height required!

I do like the storage space without the spare wheel! And have my winter wheels to fall back on.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-12-2011 10:13pm
cobkelly

A bit like Phil, I hadn't had a puncture in more than twenty odd years driving... then about a month a go I got a puncture in my wife's touran. Used the repair kit and got it to a tyre centre to be told because of the goo the repair they would have done wouldn't work and I needed a new tyre. The damaged tyre still had 5.5mm of tread, so not best pleased. The tyre centre did give me a discount so didn't pay much of the tyre in the end, but then they are only 15's. However, I now know that if I can get the tyre inflated enough to get to a repair centre without using te repair kit, then all the better. For the touran I have some Tyre Magic that should (if it works) self-repair - not sure I am convinced yet, although the same technology does work on my girls' baby buggy...

Arrived: Pure SD4 5dr Manual. Sumatra with Cirrus/Lunar. Xenons, fogs, pano, auto-headlamps, high-beam assist, heated/folding mirrors with puddle lamps, privacy glass. Would defo consider if ordering again: cameras, keyless entry.
11-12-2011 10:25pm
PhilSkill

Just back from the Dealers, it was quite funny, when I enquired about not having a jack the Service Manager said it'll come with a jack let me just check that out... then came back 5 mins later with a "no apparently it doesn't come with a jack!" So he's investigating for me... not sure what he's investigating... but hopefully he'll come back with a free Jack... or at least a discount on one!

I'm not sure even my Halfords trolley jack will be good enough for changing to the winters as the Evoque is nearly 2 tonnes!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-12-2011 02:38pm
Big G

(11-12-2011 06:22pm)caroline11000 Wrote:  I didn't opt to buy a spare wheel when I ordered. When I picked up the car my salesman said that sometimes after using the tyre repair system the tyre cannot be repaired and you have to buy a new tyre. Any truth to this guys?
I noticed in the boot that because I don't have a spare tyre I also do not have a wheel nut tool or a jack! I am now wondering whether to buy a spare tyre, so will it come with a wheel nut tool & jack or are they extra? Also is it more expensive to buy after sales than it would have been on the original order?

Yes - he's correct. Once the repair system is used it renders the tyre un repairable. I know as my wife has an Audi A1 and we've had 2 punctures. On both cases she called out the AA who firstly couldn't get the kit to work but then said the tyre was useless. We then had to wait 4 weeks without a car until a new tyre was delivered. So lesson learnt - we ordered one for the Audi and the first extra I asked for on the RRE was a spare tyre - well worth it !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 02:50pm by Big G.)
12-12-2011 02:50pm
WB
WB

(11-12-2011 10:25pm)cobkelly Wrote:  A bit like Phil, I hadn't had a puncture in more than twenty odd years driving... then about a month a go I got a puncture in my wife's touran. Used the repair kit and got it to a tyre centre to be told because of the goo the repair they would have done wouldn't work and I needed a new tyre. The damaged tyre still had 5.5mm of tread, so not best pleased. The tyre centre did give me a discount so didn't pay much of the tyre in the end, but then they are only 15's. However, I now know that if I can get the tyre inflated enough to get to a repair centre without using te repair kit, then all the better. For the touran I have some Tyre Magic that should (if it works) self-repair - not sure I am convinced yet, although the same technology does work on my girls' baby buggy...

I've heard the same but apparently it just comes down to the tyre guys not wanting to clear out the goo and if you challenge them on it they will repair it but probably charge a bit more for the clean up job.
12-12-2011 02:51pm
mark_n

Keep in mind the goo doesn't always work and I'm sure exploring the space where the spare wheel would have been will be a great source of entertainment while you are waiting for your car to be trailered to the nearest garage only to be told you'll have to leave it there while they get a replacement. Inconvenient doesn't begin to describe it.

£120 is a no-brainer and if you change it after market, it's expensive because you are buying spare parts with their associated handling costs plus you will be left with original bits as conversation pieces at your next dinner party.

BTW, the Evoque is not 2 tonnes, 1600 kg is the figure I remember.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
12-12-2011 03:16pm