Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spam Phone calls
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Spam Phone calls

Guys, this morning my mobile phone has been inundated with silent phone calls from a Manchester phone number
0161 827 8150. This number is registered to a "digital marketing" company called Red Star. When I looked them up on the internet there are about 14 companies trading under this name and using the same phone number. Most seem to be so-called "Financial Services" companies doing PPI claims and investment advice.................

My home and mobile phone numbers are both registered with TPS so i shouldn't be getting these calls. Anyway after loosing my temper with the call centre operator ( a British woman!) I was put through to her "team Leader" who assured me that the company IS also TPS registered................. I said I couldn't care less but to remove my phone number from their databases as I don't have any PPI Claims to make or require any dodgy investment advice thank you.

I have learned two things this morning as a result -
a) I didn't know that it is very easy to block phone numbers in an iPhone - search on line and there are numerous websites, but it is a simple case of a couple of clicks after clicking the "i" button next to the number in the recent calls list, scroll down until you see "block this number"!

b) I created a complaint with Ofcom who despite what I have read/ heard about them being slow to respond were in fact very swift to reply to my complaint with a phone call. It transpires that Red Star are on their list of companies under investigation for making "cold" and "silent" phone calls.

Silent phone calls are a pain - even more so if like me you get 15 of them from the same number in an hour, but if you do get them then you can "google" the phone number and find out a load of info about these companies and also see just how many complaints some of them have had made against them.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-05-2014 11:13am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
harveyg77

RE: Spam Phone calls

Well done Tim. 'Rogue operators' need standing up to and properly investigating.
20-05-2014 12:41pm
The Valeter

I had a couple of calls re PPi from a company called The Claims Guys with a 0161 number so probably the same place.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
20-05-2014 02:01pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

(20-05-2014 11:13am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  b) I created a complaint with Ofcom who despite what I have read/ heard about them being slow to respond were in fact very swift to reply to my complaint with a phone call. It transpires that Red Star are on their list of companies under investigation for making "cold" and "silent" phone calls.
I never bother to do this, as I didn't think they'd do anything with my info.
Really refreshing to hear that they followed up Smile

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
20-05-2014 06:17pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

(21-07-2014 06:27am)mcnulty017 Wrote:  I never thought that there is still some spam phone calls if i am not mistaken they are already gone because of do not call list.

They get around this, by phoneing from outside of the UK

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
21-07-2014 05:14pm
JimWooly

On my iPhone I have one ringtone set for everyone in my 'Contacts' and for anyone not in the contacts a completely different one so that I know without looking if the call should be answered. The only time that this does not work is when I am expecting a call from some one not stored in my contacts but as this os not often it isn't really a problem.

I know that this method would not work for a phone used for business but it is fine for a private phone.

[Image: 298252.png]
21-07-2014 10:22pm
XFullFatTim

Mcnulty017 has been banned and all posts from the user removed for continually posting commercial links in his posts. There is zero tolerance of new members who have blatantly disregarded the sign up requirements, they will be banned. Amazing how they all have the same ICQ number too! Commercial links in bio's and signatures are prohibited by the forum owner ( who is not me!) links not related to the topics of the forums will also lead to banning as will use of computer generated user names.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2014 01:02pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-07-2014 01:01pm
DavidB

Spam Phone calls

(21-07-2014 10:22pm)JimWooly Wrote:  On my iPhone I have one ringtone set for everyone in my 'Contacts' and for anyone not in the contacts a completely different one so that I know without looking if the call should be answered. The only time that this does not work is when I am expecting a call from some one not stored in my contacts but as this os not often it isn't really a problem.

I know that this method would not work for a phone used for business but it is fine for a private phone.

I'd like to do this. I have hundreds of contacts. Is if possible to do this in one go or does it have to be done one-by-one?

TIA

Diesel Coupe 2.2 SD4 Prestige Lux. Orkney Grey. Privacy Glass. Cirrus/Lunar with Dark Grey Oak Trim.
20" Style Six Wheels + Steel Spare. Auto dimming Rear View Mirror. Adaptive Xenon Headlights.
23-07-2014 02:31pm
XFullFatTim

David, I googled it and it appears that it isn't easy and you need to have a "jail broken" phone. This is what I found using google http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4/171801-...group.html

(This post was last modified: 23-07-2014 03:10pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-07-2014 03:10pm
JimWooly

i don't have a 'Jail broken' iPhone. I got sick of the sales calls coming in at lunch/tea/supper time and searched for a way of preventing them. In the iTunes store is an app called Call Bliss that I installed (IOS 6). Call Bliss gives the option to assign ringtones to groups of contacts. I also installed another app called 'Groups' which enabled me to create contact groups easily.

[Image: 298252.png]
23-07-2014 08:48pm