Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Satnav bordering on useless
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Satnav bordering on useless

Also if you have your own favourite route that is "better" than or preferred over that offered by the satnav you can set the system to "learn" the route you prefer - it's also in the settings. If you set the same route 3 times but deviate from it every time then, if the "learn" mode is switched on, the system will default to your preferred route every time you ask for that route.

Just one small tip - there is a function in the satnav called "Home" - I don't know why Navteq / Land Rover persist in fitting this function as it is a security risk if you leave your car in say an airport long term carpark where you have to leave your car keys - it makes it very easy for somebody to power up the car and find your home address while you are away. I just have my house address in as an ordinary destination.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 10:01am by XFullFatTim.)
07-10-2011 09:57am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
defender_uk

(07-10-2011 09:29am)griff Wrote:  There should be a shortest, fastest, motorway, non motorway, TMC options if it is anything like my BMW - could be hidden in settings?

LR don't, unfortuantely, give those options. I agree that the three choices given are hard to work out the differences.

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
07-10-2011 10:21am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barneyridge

So it sounds very much like the Subaru system then (Kenwood system). Not as good as a normal Tom Tom but neater and cleaner.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
07-10-2011 10:30am
BFGEvoqueMan

I hope it is alot better than the one in my FL2. Having had BMW and COMMAND systems previuosly this one is not good. In UK and Germany it was generally OK, but in France I have lost count of the number of roads it has told me to go down that were no entry or did not exist. Also in the FL2 you get three discs for Europe, with COMMAND you get one DVD.

I am putting it in the car for resale more than anything, but honestly I am expecting the worse, afterall it doesn't even have a 3D view.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
07-10-2011 11:19am
DynamicRRV

(07-10-2011 09:57am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Also if you have your own favourite route that is "better" than or preferred over that offered by the satnav you can set the system to "learn" the route you prefer - it's also in the settings. If you set the same route 3 times but deviate from it every time then, if the "learn" mode is switched on, the system will default to your preferred route every time you ask for that route.

Just one small tip - there is a function in the satnav called "Home" - I don't know why Navteq / Land Rover persist in fitting this function as it is a security risk if you leave your car in say an airport long term carpark where you have to leave your car keys - it makes it very easy for somebody to power up the car and find your home address while you are away. I just have my house address in as an ordinary destination.

Me too Tim.
07-10-2011 11:22am
defender_uk

but all sat navs have that 'home' button don't they? all the ones I have had did....
i agree it is a security risk though, and i never have used it....

Defender_uk

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 02:55pm by defender_uk.)
07-10-2011 02:54pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simonc

You can always offset your home by a few houses, or perhaps just somewhere in your home town / village where you always drive past on the way home and from where you would have no need for sat nav assistance anyway.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
07-10-2011 04:12pm
swimfanuk

The one thing the dealer told me about the sat nav was to make sure that I didn't set the home button to your actual address - something I hadn't considered so a useful bit of advice.

Range Rover Evoque Pure Tech SD4 Coupe, Fuji White with Ebony Leather, 19" Style 3 Alloys and Xenons - arrived 4th October 2011 Very Happy
07-10-2011 04:18pm
gomark

The thief has got to work out the keyless entry process first. All safe!

07-10-2011 04:30pm
defender_uk

i am sure that won't take long these days with receivers etc....

Defender_uk

07-10-2011 04:38pm