Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Restricted mode?
Spiderman

RE: Restricted mode?

As with any new car it is advisable to drive with care and consideration to the new tyres and brakes for the first 200 or so miles, just as you would or should if you replace brake pads or tyres as these both need miles to settle or bed in before they will work effectively.

Also remember your new toy will only have had a 15 or so mile workout before you get it, so proceed with caution just in case anything drops off, fails or breaks away. It is also advisable to check the engine oil after 500 or so miles & again at 1,000 miles as new engines can guzzle oil initially.

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
(This post was last modified: 24-09-2011 11:48pm by Spiderman.)
24-09-2011 11:35pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bell-auto-services

(24-09-2011 11:35pm)Spiderman Wrote:  As with any new car it is advisable to drive with care and consideration to the new tyres and brakes for the first 200 or so miles, just as you would or should if you replace brake pads or tyres as these both need miles to settle or bed in before they will work effectively.

Also remember your new toy will only have had a 15 or so mile workout before you get it, so proceed with caution just in case anything drops off, fails or breaks away. It is also advisable to check the engine oil after 500 or so miles & again at 1,000 miles as new engines can guzzle oil initially.

+1

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
25-09-2011 01:04am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

IIRC the manual recommends not to let the engine labour at low revs in a high gear and not to run at more than 3000 rpms if it can be avoided in the 1st 1000miles. Avoid heavy braking or heavy acceleration.
The diesel engine produces a lot of low down torque so it's quite easy to live within the rev limits, not sure about the Si4 though.
Also having the auto makes it easier as they change gear if the load doesn't suit the revs.
In other words treat it with love and care for the 1st 1000 -1500 miles.

Best way to run it in?
Take it on a very long motorway haul and stick to the speed limits. 70 in the auto SD4 is 1800rpm, well inside the peak torque and 2100 rpm is 90mph in 6th gear - not exactly overworking the engine/gearbox! Unless you are an outside lane hog then you also won't be doing too much high speed braking as well. Take your car on a road trip - Lincolnshire to Fort William would get you on some of the best driving roads in the UK and get the long easy run in done in the round trip.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-09-2011 10:28am by XFullFatTim.)
25-09-2011 09:27am
Gthornton

Mines off to Chamonix for the weekend a few days after delivery. Perfect run in! - provided I don't end up stranded on the A26 with some epic run in fail.!

Arrived: 4WD SD4 Auto, Prestige, LUX Buckingham Blue w/everything apart from rear screens.
Current/ For Sale: C63 AMG Estate.
Gone: RRS TDV8, F360, Boxster S x3, F328GTS, Caterham etc...
(This post was last modified: 26-09-2011 09:34pm by Gthornton.)
26-09-2011 09:29pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Well I made it home from London with nothing untoward other than being the subject of hundreds of phone camera shots, 420 miles LPR to home so Chamonix will be a breeze down the autoroute

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-09-2011 09:41pm