Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Received some really good news!
AandM1228

RE: Received some really good news!

Congratulations on your earlier build LonnyGer. Sounds like a great spec you've ordered.

(16-10-2012 04:42pm)LonnyGer Wrote:  Maybe the earlier build date is a result of the Si4 engine, i guess it is a quite rare spec isn`t it?

BR

In answer to this, it may be a rare spec in the UK and Europe but its the only engine available to the US models.... Hopefully one day they will allow the Diesel engine there but who knows Smile
16-10-2012 07:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LonnyGer

Thanks for all the congrats according to my order.

Wasn't aware of the fact that the si4 is the only available engine for the us market, what's the reason for this?

I'm quite happy with my og/black exterior. I have chosen every possible option except the rear entertainment system and smoker package.
BR

Ordered: 04.07.12
Build Date: 30.10.12
Day of collection: 28.11.12 ( the wait is almost overVery Happy)

Car Spec: 5d,OG,dynamic,Black Roof, fully loaded
16-10-2012 07:27pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It's because the stupid marketing men at Land Rover seem to think that only big trucks/ semis get diesel engines out in the States. Of course they have never been there to find out that all the big European manufacturers are now selling diesel cars everywhere except California. One problem for Euro diesels is the sulphur content in diesel in the USofA is far far higher than it is in Europe and our engines don't like it, but that hasn't stopped Mercedes and VW/Audi selling diesel versions of their cars engineered to run on US spec diesel. For years Americans who have come to Europe and driven our diesel versions of Range Rover
have been amazed at how good they are............... there is also the fact that the price of petrol is so heavily subsidised there that nobody wants to buy diesel.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-10-2012 10:17pm
Stadt Panzer

Received some really good news!

Interesting point there Tim about the diesel in the US as we are looking at taking our SD4 with us.....hmmmm

Somewhere in the North Sea.
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 07:12am by Stadt Panzer.)
17-10-2012 07:11am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Panzer, in 2003 I was posted to an office job in Annapolis and had only just taken delivery of my first FFRR - a TD6, the one with the BMW 3.0ltr straight 6 TD. I approached Land Rover and asked for advice about taking the car - they were 100% about me NOT taking it over there. Not only was there no way it would run on their diesel, even more importantly there was nobody in the Land Rover empire over there who could repair it if it broke down. So I didn't take the job even though that corner of the Chesapeake is one of my favourite parts of the USA. I have since met people in Virginia who used to work for the US Army on the Rhine and they used to do the US equivalent of personal importing of Defenders with the TDi engines and they could run on USA diesel. I later found that there was good reason to take Defenders back with them - they could sell them on for $35000-40000 a pop as no Land Rover utilities have been sold through the dealer network since 1978 due to American safety rules.

Maybe you should consider buying a US spec Si4 to take with you and sell it when you get there.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 09:31am by XFullFatTim.)
17-10-2012 09:25am