Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
dandavis1

RE: Real world mpg

(22-02-2012 11:03am)Donny Dog Wrote:  However, I must say I'm far more worried about the myriad of quality and technical issues being reported!

Exactly.

Regarding your comment about MPG - if LR said 50MPG and we were all getting 18 then I could understand it. However, the published figures weren't anything special (many, many cars achieve better MPG) and what people are reporting isn't WILDLY different. Buying a car for £40k that'll lose say £20k over three years plus cost a fortune to service and then complaining for 54 pages about getting 3 MPG less seems very odd.

Personally, I get an average of 33 MPG in my Si4 which seems fine to me.
22-02-2012 11:42am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alibeau

(22-02-2012 11:42am)dandavis1 Wrote:  Personally, I get an average of 33 MPG in my Si4 which seems fine to me.

Blimey 33 mpg is great, what type of roads/speeds are you driving? I am struggling to get 23/24 mpg in my Si4 doing mainly out of town 30/40/50 mph zones.....

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
22-02-2012 11:47am
leveller

(22-02-2012 10:41am)dandavis1 Wrote:  I'm amazed that a thread on MPG on a Range Rover forum is now 54 pages long.

When I decided to buy a RR I just knew I had to accept I'd be paying more at the petrol station and not being as environmentally friendly as I could be.

If you're all so worried about fuel consumption (that question about two additional LCD screens affecting the MPG is just ridiculous) why did you all buy a 4x4? If MPG is such a massive concern, why didn't you all buy a Toyota iQ or something?

I bought my Evoque for road presence, comfort, power etc. as they are what are important to me. MPG (unless I was getting stupidly low economy) is not.

You could dismiss the whole thread as silly people whining after buying a luxury permanent 4x4, and if they couldn't financially afford the MPG then they shouldn't have bought it. But I think you've missed the point, the problem is that the fuel economy seems to be glaringly wrong for lots of people and they may feel misled.

I can afford the fuel, but if I see a glaringly wrong fuel economy in my Evoque after I've collected it - don't think I won't be moaning in this thread as well - because I sure will. I hate being 'misled'. If people have been misled, which is it going to be - Land Rover had no idea and were ignorant of the fuel economy? Really?! Or the only other option.

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
22-02-2012 11:52am
CSJ

I can't get any sense of how mine is using fuel. I recently got my best fuel consumption on a drive from London to Wales (which I have driven loads of times).

Work this one out if you can, it was the first time I swiitched the air con on at all and I left it on for the entire journey, and my fuel consumption was better than I have ever seen it. I am normally getting about 32 mpg on average, and on the Wales run 33 mpg at av speed of 45mph, yet with the aircon on and av speed of 48 I got 35 mpg. Am completely baffled by it now.

Whilst I would like the car to do more, to be honest, I don't think I would even have noticed if it was not for this thread.

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
22-02-2012 11:56am
THEMACS

(22-02-2012 11:42am)dandavis1 Wrote:  Exactly.

Regarding your comment about MPG - if LR said 50MPG and we were all getting 18 then I could understand it. However, the published figures weren't anything special (many, many cars achieve better MPG) and what people are reporting isn't WILDLY different. Buying a car for £40k that'll lose say £20k over three years plus cost a fortune to service and then complaining for 54 pages about getting 3 MPG less seems very odd.

Personally, I get an average of 33 MPG in my Si4 which seems fine to me.

+1 When people come to think of the TRUE Cost of the car or any car for that fact, the fuelling costs are pretty insignificant! And to me , the figures seem perfectly acceptable for such a vehicle, to be honest I think they are Good!!

Should I start a thread on how Great the fuel consumption is!!!LaughingLaughing
22-02-2012 12:13pm
dandavis1

(22-02-2012 11:47am)alibeau Wrote:  Blimey 33 mpg is great, what type of roads/speeds are you driving? I am struggling to get 23/24 mpg in my Si4 doing mainly out of town 30/40/50 mph zones.....

Ali.

I don't know how - I wouldn't say I drive particularly carefully (I am only 29) but Trip B's average MPG (which I reset sometime around xmas) is 33. Sometimes my average for a journey has gone up to something like 38.
22-02-2012 12:15pm
leveller

(22-02-2012 12:13pm)THEMACS Wrote:  Should I start a thread on how Great the fuel consumption is!!!LaughingLaughing

Yes! But I reckon there'll only be a few of you slow granny-like fuel-economic drivers posting in it Wink

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
22-02-2012 12:19pm
THEMACS

(22-02-2012 12:19pm)leveller Wrote:  Yes! But I reckon there'll only be a few of you slow granny-like fuel-economic drivers posting in it Wink

Not Me Me Old Mucker, nothing Nanny Like with my driving!!... Anyway, go and calculate your fuel consumption... Again... And Again... And Again...LaughingLaughingLaughing
22-02-2012 12:26pm
PhilSkill

Not all of us are complaining, I think the consumption is what I expected from what the Evoque is, if not what was on the marketing blurb. I myself am interested from a point of view of how efficient modern vehicles can be, and how I can drive as I like and still get the best mpg, what effects temperature has etc.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-02-2012 12:57am
ytshome

For me this particular thread isn't necessarily about the moaning that occurs here but the insight that it gives each of us and indeed those who don't have their car yet as to what real life driving will mean at the pumps. Personally I like to see how others are doing.

However, before we ridicule people for complaining about poor mpg figures when they are just a drip in the ocean of expenses associated with car ownership, just remember that future residual depend on lots of factors and the perception of the car being a big under-performer in the mpg stakes can affect its desireability and therefore it's residuals.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
23-02-2012 11:18pm