Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
Craig_d1

RE: Real world mpg

thought the manuals were returming mpg far better than the auto's. The pure I had briefly my av was 28mpg, though 1 run on the motorway did manage 36mpg.....hardly stunning though. Hoping the dynamic I've got on order fairs better.
10-02-2012 05:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
defender_uk

Gettin p**d off now....

65 mph ob cruise control on very quiet M/way from Lopndon to Blackpool.....39 mpg!!!!!
that should be over 50 according to LR.

so I gave up my RRS for a measely 9 miles extra!!!!

til for a clash action for mis-representation I think.

I have Always achieved the figures quoted by LR before and usually improved them by a mile or two....so this really is taking the p***

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
10-02-2012 07:00pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Craig_d1

(10-02-2012 07:00pm)defender_uk Wrote:  Gettin p**d off now....

65 mph ob cruise control on very quiet M/way from Lopndon to Blackpool.....39 mpg!!!!!

I have Always achieved the figures quoted by LR before and usually improved them by a mile or two....so this really is taking the p***

think we seen from honda the route to go is private claim via small claims court. Didn't the lady get $6000, whereas those in the class action will get $200 odd if they win
10-02-2012 07:05pm
defender_uk

oh ok...didn't know about that......

love the car...just really not happy with the mpg....

Defender_uk

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 07:15pm by defender_uk.)
10-02-2012 07:14pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gomark

Real world mpg

(10-02-2012 07:00pm)defender_uk Wrote:  Gettin p**d off now....

Agreed. 3000 miles down and still at 29 mpg with ave speed of high 40s. I get all the stuff about driving styles, aircon, heated seats, but my BMW had all that and was quicker, driven harder and had heating etc. With a better bigger engine did 34mpg day in day out. I'm trying to drive like a fossil to claim 30mpg. I like all the toys, snow capabilities etc., but also really like driving a car and feel that I'm holding myself back just to try and appease a 30% lower mpg than I expected. I'm not tight, but I hate having to accept something that was a major reason for downgrading on performance to be worse off. Plus I hate petrol garages
Typical wrote an essay and my iPad only posted half the message. Ggrrrrrr...

My sign off was that I think the thread has demonstrated that the expected economy, that for many may have been a significant buying decision, is way out of tolerance.

I do feel that we have got to the point where this thread is going to serve not much more purpose than a continual whinge. I suggest we channel our discontent (where the is such) and discuss a constructive way that we can use the power of collaboration to serve a more impactful communication to an appropriate point of influence. Hhopefully with a more compelling message than we are getting with a general moan to our dealers on an individual basis.

I'm not talking about inciting a "Big I Am. Lets get lawyers" discussion, but hopefully an easy to contribute collective message or petition that hopefully demonstrates some gravitas of opinion.

Thoughts?

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 09:33pm by gomark.)
10-02-2012 09:14pm
Dave_T

It's been 2 whole pages and over a week since my last moan about the fuel consumption Shocked
10-02-2012 09:39pm
defender_uk

Gomark....agreed....

Defender_uk

10-02-2012 10:38pm
sethor

(10-02-2012 03:58pm)BobM Wrote:  Havent read all 48 pages of posts so someone might have mentioned this earlier (apologies if they have). I previously ran a BMW X5 which returned 33(ish) mpg during the summer and dropped to about 25mpg in the winter. The drop is nothing to do with driving style its purely to do with all the extra stuff we dont normally use in the summer such as air con/climate, heated seats, blower fan, heated f & r screens. All of these use huge amounts of 'electricity' which makes the alternator work harder which creates a resistance which is transferred to the engine through the belts which means more fuel to do the same job. Simply put - try to use as few of the ancilliaries as possible (none preferably) and see just how much your economy increases. The worst offenders by far are the air con, heated seats and screens and if you can get away without using them you will probably see a 10%+ increase in economy. Would be interested to see the results.

I think the main reason for drop in mileage in winter is the fuel it self, oil companies add heating oil to Diesel fuel to prevent it from waxing & freezing in cold weather conditions. Do searches on "Alpine Diesel" or "Winter Diesel".

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 10:59pm by sethor.)
10-02-2012 10:58pm
ChuckieB

(10-02-2012 10:38pm)defender_uk Wrote:  Gomark....agreed....

+1. i wasn't expecting miracles but the statement was an influencing factor for me and helped me justify to myself such a step up in the quality of car.

It is becoming bit of a PR issue for LR but do I think things will change..probably not. Would I change my decision now.....probably not. Is there nothing we can really do.......probably not!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
10-02-2012 11:49pm
BobM

(10-02-2012 04:12pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Air conditioning.......in Scotland........in winter???Shocked

Yep, you need it to dry the condensation from the inside of the windows caused by the breath of the marauding haggis that nest under the seats. I would like to say the condensation was caused by the melting snow dragged in on my boots but we are basking in a balmy +1 degrees with not a snowflake in sight.

On a note closer to the thread, I recently borrowed a 2.2 SD manual RRE from the dealer (about 1200 miles on the clock) and had a reasonably varied drive from Stirling to St Andrews and back. The £20 of diesel I put in it easily got me there and back (112 miles) with about 30 miles more showing on the computer than when I picked it up ( and visibly more on the gauge). It was certainly getting over 40mpg and I reckoned about 44mpg and perhaps a very slight touch more.

Pure, SD4, Auto, 5 door, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ebony, privacy, rear camera, front sensors, fog lights, spare wheel, auto lights and wipers - Delivered 14.3.15 Very Happy

Gone but not forgotten - Old rattly 1.3.12 - 31.5.13 - Pure, SD4, manual, 5 door, Fuji, 19" style 4, ebony/ebony, spare wheel, privacy.
11-02-2012 01:28am