Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tyre pressures on 20" set to over 100mph
Firenze

Tyre pressures on 20" set to over 100mph

Just checked the tyre pressures on my Dynamic and there are two pressures listed, under 100mph or over 100mph this only seems to be for the 20" wheels.

Mine are inflated to the pressures for over 100mph but as I wont be going that fast should I deflate them a bit to the lower pressures or leave them as set from the factory?

Wouldn't normally worry too much but 39psi is quite high and it may improve the ride a little on the lower pressures and prevent the middles wearing out first

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
28-03-2012 12:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Tyre pressures on 20" set to over 100mph

If you lower them you might see a decrease in fuel consumption as well, and the ride will be less harsh. Just remember not to go over 100mph on the road!Wink

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 28-03-2012 01:05pm by XFullFatTim.)
28-03-2012 01:03pm
Firenze

Could it really save fuel? I imagined it may use slightly more fuel as the lower pressure tyres would have more drag

I realise we're only talking a tiny bit

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
28-03-2012 01:25pm
smayo

I believe higher pressure = higher mpg, lower pressure = lower mpg.
Whether you will save enough on the fuel to more than compensate for the price of replacing the tyres a bit more regularly though is anyones guess.
Also need to consider that higher pressure means a smaller contact area with the road and so may well affect handling etc.
Personally I'd stick to the recommended pressure (less than 100mph on british roads) and regularly check them.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
28-03-2012 05:13pm