Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Proximity Sensors
Donny Dog

RE: Proximity Sensors

(27-11-2013 12:59pm)mpw Wrote:  This fooled my when I was first using my Evoque. As I had come from 12 years of Mercedes cars I had grown use to their system and thought LRs method was not the best. After a couple of years I still think the same but have got used to LRs way of doing it.

Personally, I think a better system is: on-screen or in-dashboard warning appear for either forward or reverse (i.e. single yellow coloured bar moving through two, three, four, etc. bars to say, six bars with the last two in red) while an audible warning comes in when red bars reached which indicates your getting (too) close. This would then always be 'on', if cars or obstacles or pedestrians were close there would be a visual warning and if too close an audible warning as well. Or perhaps I'm still in love with the Mercedes method!

Having also got a Merc., I agree that theirs is a better system, and, in fact, I never get bothered by spurious signals in traffic, passing pedestrians, etc. The only thing I disagree with is getting used to it - after 20 months driving the Evoque, I still forget to turn it on when parking forwards.
27-11-2013 02:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

MPW, the rear parking sensors are hooked up to the rear view camera if you have one fitted, even if the lense is filthy at this time of the year first the yellow proximity warning bars appear on the screen then red warning bars appear when you are to close to operate the remote release tailgate

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-11-2013 02:44pm
mpw

Yes, I have the rear view camera so am aware of all the gadgets when reversing. As stated by Donny Dog it's about parking forwards - you have to remember to switch the sensors on. If LR adopted a similar method as per Merc or modified their own reversing system then perhaps this would be acceptable. Like Donny I am still surprised when I see/hear nothing approaching a brick wall, then press the sensor button and then lapse into 'I should have remembered' (especially when you don't need to do anything when in reverse).

It's LRs way of doing it and it seems half-hearted to me. As always some will like it and some won't.
27-11-2013 04:48pm
PhilSkill

It should probably beep automatically at the last stage even if off, e.g. closest proximity just before you hit something, and have a Selectable setting for offroading who want it off all the time as now, as I have forgotten 1 or twice only realising when I wanted to use the beeps to judge the final distance and realised they weren't on.

But LR solution is simple, it's on it beeps, you turn it on to beep, you turn it off to not beep, and when reversing it enables automatically.

I accidently selected reverse in a Renault Espace a while back while sat in traffic and the beeping drove us all mad, no one could work out where to turn it back off again till we sped up 10 minutes later at it finally disabled!!!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-11-2013 06:41pm