Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Prestige Spec v Pure Spec
SW6RR

RE: Prestige Spec v Pure Spec

Also, although people are batting away the leather dash and uprated leather interior (as just two examples of the extras you get on a Prestige), these are more worthy perhaps than discussion suggests. Although obviously a matter of personal preference, these are the kinds of things that compel you to buy a Range Rover, surely? Otherwise you could just buy any old 4x4, save a packet and be done with it.

Likewise, agree with Urban Splash's post above. It's all about the luxury and the image isn't it? Is the Prestige worth the extra? - depends on what you're looking for. I went for the Prestige without a doubt in my mind - might not make financial sense but it makes a whole lot of other sense... (if that makes sense!). One could argue that resale will be better, and I agree (for what my opinion's worth), but over and above that, I think I'll just be more contented driving a Prestige. That's probably the show-off in me, but who are we kidding - this isn't exactly a purchase driven 100% by our heads is it...?
06-04-2011 05:14pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Maybe so with Disco and RRSport owners, with a Range Rover (FFRR/L322) less so - they are so expensive in the first place you don't need to broadcast that you already have "made" it to the top of the pile with badge snobism. One thing you will find when you ahve a car with RANGE ROVER letters across the bonnet and boot is how much more you get charged by tradespeople who come to your house to quote for work. People are very judgemental about your financial situation when you have a Range Rover badged car on the drive and immediately assume you are made of money - what they forget is that you have spent most of it buying the car and have very little left!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
06-04-2011 05:14pm
oop north

(06-04-2011 05:14pm)SW6RR Wrote:  One could argue that resale will be better, and I agree (for what my opinion's worth), but over and above that, I think I'll just be more contented driving a Prestige. That's probably the show-off in me, but who are we kidding - this isn't exactly a purchase driven 100% by our heads is it...?

it is normally the case that lower spec cars retain a far higher percentage of the new list price after x years than top of the range models - as second hand buyers will not pay as much for extra specification as new purchasers have to. I would expect Pures to have the best residual % - but as you say that is of course not necessarily the point!
(06-04-2011 04:01pm)Urban Splash Wrote:  This is just my opinion.....LR/RR customers are very 'badge conscious' As such, HSE is seen as a 'must have' level of specification for both Discovery and RRS. The same applies here. Prestige and Dynamic is the 'must have HSE' scenario. That red or silver Evoque badge is so important! Why else would they have specific colours for specific models?

There will be a roaring trade in Prestige/Dynamic badges being applied to Pures... I suspect many second hand buyers will not be able to identify much of a difference between the three models in a few years time
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2011 05:43pm by oop north.)
06-04-2011 05:42pm
Kermit

(06-04-2011 03:15pm)Blackseries Wrote:  one thing I find very odd about the pricing of the Evoque is the way if you spec up a Pure with the stuff that’s in a Prestige or Dynamic its actually cheaper to buy the Pure.

Except you can't get exactly the same spec. If you option the leather memory seats in a Pure you get a lower quality leather than the Prestige and less movement; 6/4way vs 8/6way in the Prestige. Only the Prestige has a leather dash; it can't be optioned on a Pure or a Dynamic. The Pure doesn't get the Prestige carpet mats option that the Dynamic has; standard on the Prestige.

This photo of the vinyl dash (Pure Coupe @ Genenva) with its fake stitching looks very down market IMO.

So you can save some money getting an optioned Pure that comes close to a Prestige if you don't mind missing out on a couple of details. Its great to have choices.
(06-04-2011 05:14pm)SW6RR Wrote:  I went for the Prestige without a doubt in my mind - might not make financial sense but it makes a whole lot of other sense... (if that makes sense!).<SNIP>, but over and above that, I think I'll just be more contented driving a Prestige.

I look at car purchases as a 10 year plan so paying a bit extra up front to get that little bit more pleasure over all the years of ownership makes sense to me.
(06-04-2011 05:14pm)FullFatTim Wrote:  what they forget is that you have spent most of it buying the car and have very little left!

Laughing
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2011 04:12am by Kermit.)
07-04-2011 04:07am
BFGEvoqueMan

So I wasn't the only one to wonder that my up specced pure would be 2.5K cheaper than a prestige for the benefit of a tilting drivers seat and a leather topped dash board. I still can't work it out, as normally you can see the value of upgrading say from SE to Avantgards/Elegance (MB) or Base to SE (BMW).

If I change the grill on my car the only exterior differance will be the chrome window strip and bright blade in the door cladding. Hardly worth worrying about in a couple of years time when there are 101 differant variants on the road - just think if you have ever seen two minis that look the same?ConfusedConfused

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
09-04-2011 08:06am