Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Premature rear brake pad wear at 24k?
fstfwd

Premature rear brake pad wear at 24k?

My leased 2012 Evoque, Pure Premium, is at the dealership for an oil change and they've informed me that the rear passenger-side brake pads are dangerously low and should be replaced. There are only 24,000 mi on the car at this point, and I wouldn't expect to need brakes anywhere on the car with this low mileage, not the least of which the rear!

I spoke to a mechanic friend who said that seemed like it is more of a mechanical problem, which they don't appear to be investigating. Thinking that maybe it's a warranty issue with a bad caliper that might be binding and causing some constant wear.

A little research and I also found some reports that the electronic parking brake has been known to be faulty on some '12-'13 models and may not be releasing?

Does anyone have any experience with this issue, and have some information that indicates a problem beyond normal wear – I think this sounds anything but "normal". I also don't feel like throwing down $650 to fix the issue when it sounds like it could likely be a real problem with the vehicle.

Thanks,
Steve

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
Pure Premium / Illuminated Tread Plates / Luggage Bar
11-10-2014 06:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Premature rear brake pad wear at 24k?

There has been mention in other posts that the Electronic Parking Brake can be the cause of heavy pad wear on the rears.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-10-2014 06:27pm
fstfwd

Thanks for the reply – is it considered to be expected? or does this seem like it could be a faulty e-brake? I kind of want to push back on the dealer and tell them to look into the matter further – though they usually support their original opinion with "Well, we've seen that on other cars..."

It's a good thing (most) doctors don't operate the same way.

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
11-10-2014 07:57pm
vinny

Totally normal seemingly according to dealer,not the first new car I've ever had but the shortest time out a set of pads ever.
Electronic parking brake gets blame but never had issues with my other cars with it.

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
12-10-2014 09:20pm
RacingSnake

I too was very surprised at the amount of rear pad wear - I've never had a car which 'dusts' up the rear wheels faster than the fronts!

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
13-10-2014 02:48pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CRC@LandRover

Hello fstfwd,

I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the brake wear on your vehicle. So that we can look into this further please can you provide me with the following information:
Full Name
Email
VIN
Reg
Retailer Involved

Many Thanks

Mike

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
14-10-2014 08:22am
fstfwd

Hi Pete,

I appreciate your interest in helping me investigate the issue. However, I'm located in the US, Connecticut. Despite asking my dealer to research the matter further, they said the e-parking brake is functioning fine and that this is pretty "standard" for Evoques to need rear brakes changed in the 25k-30k range. I've always wondered when "standard" becomes "epidemic"...

Owned a dozen vehicles and never experienced this before. But, for the time being I'm just have to take their word for it – past experience not dictating future results and all...

I opted to just swap out the pads, as the rotors are just fine. I have a high-performance sports car (400+ rwhp) and I've only ever even swapped pads on the rear axels every so often, so I tend to be skeptical about such things.

Fronts are always a different matter, and I was told I'll need those done in about 5k.

Steve

(14-10-2014 08:22am)Pete@LandRover Wrote:  Hello fstfwd,

I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the brake wear on your vehicle. So that we can look into this further please can you provide me with the following information:
Full Name
Email
VIN
Reg
Retailer Involved

Many Thanks

Mike

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
14-10-2014 03:29pm
vinny

I was dissatisfied by my wear too but was assured by my dealer it was normal.Can you look into it for me too?

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
14-10-2014 08:32pm
m_101

I had the same experience at around 22k... Vinny, was the dealer Pentland by any chance? Cost me about £240 to get my rear pads changed. ouch!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
15-10-2014 03:01pm
CRC@LandRover

Hello,

If anyone has any issues please do not hesitate to send me further details via PM.

Many Thanks

Mike

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
15-10-2014 03:30pm