Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painting neighbours fence...
RacingSnake

Thats not strictly accurate but it gives a better idea than the actual situation.

It's my fence, and I've coughed up just shy of £500 for 6 panels and 2 replacement posts (1 caused by their shed collapsing on it Rolling Eyes ).
I'm in the process of painting both sides 'forest green' to match the rest of our fencing.

My neighbour came up to me and told me not to bother as they're going to paint it brown Shocked

Now I get on with the neighbours, so I said I'd rather not have it painted brown as it'll run through and then I'll be pretty unhappy, and my missus will just have a go at me!
So, I said that ordinarily it wouldn't be a problem, but we are pretty nervous about it but he said that his missus would be insisting.

The conversation ended there, but I'm not really very happy... they rent the house next door so it should be fairly cut and dry. But I just don't want friction caused over this CryingCrying

What say the masses? Stand my groud (after all I am painting their side too)
or
let them paint it, and potentially face the wrath of the misses, and god help them if it runs through Shocked

(I know I know, my life is just so complicated at the moment! Laughing )

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
12-03-2012 07:57pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Painting neighbours fence...

Your fence, your colour.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
12-03-2012 07:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
defender_uk

(12-03-2012 07:59pm)cjfp Wrote:  Your fence, your colour.

+1

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
12-03-2012 08:33pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xxxx5

+2 simples

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
12-03-2012 08:48pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Whose side of the plot boundary is the fence on or is it a boundary marker. If all of the fence is inside your boundary then there isn't much your neighbour can do about it except deny you access to paint it!. If the fence is the boundary then you need to speak to the owner of the house and ask if he has any objections to the colour you propose to paint the fence, I'm sure the tenant doesn't have a lot of say in the issue, you might even be able to get him to cough up 50% of the cost of painting it too! I've just been through a similar thing with a boundary marking fence, but I'm in Scotland so legally things may be different here.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-03-2012 08:54pm
broady43

Take the fence down and buy an angry PitbullSmile

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
12-03-2012 10:28pm
ceebee

I am currently having a rear extension built and as the local water authority "adopted" the drains under my house (without telling me) I now need to move my manhole one metre away from the outside of my new three metre extension as I am not allowed to simply put a sealed cover on the existing manhole and have it sealed under my new kitchen floor (as would have been allowed previously)

Should be simple enough, but as I share my drains with the neighbour I also have to completely renew all of his rear drains and move their pipes four metres out into a manhole in his garden before crossing under the boundary fence into my garden.

I get on well with my neighbours and they have kindly allowed me to dig up a considerable chunk of their garden to allow me to build the extension we want. However, this is at a considerable expense to me, but that's not their fault, so they shouldn't pay.

So my tuppence worth in this thread would be that if you own the fence then you should paint it the colour you wish, but sometimes things aren't worth falling out over as it's better to be on speaking terms with your neighbours in case you need their help with something.

I suppose that if you do paint it to your colour choice, then there is nothing stopping them building another "skin" on their side of the fence, which they could paint whatever colour they wish and it wouldn't show through in your side?
.........or you could let your missus sort it out with his missus, whilst you guys go for a pint?

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 12:10am by ceebee.)
13-03-2012 12:07am
Craig_d1

Just put a 200 ft fence up myself and went through this myself. Firstly, you have to make sure who is the legitimate owner of the fence. You should be able to see this from an ordinance survey map of your property(should have one as part of the search when buying your property).
If it is legally your fence, then he is not allowed to do anything to your fence without permission. If he paints it, or even nails anything to it, you have the legal right to force him to make good your fence to the condition it was in before he did anything to it.
If it was his fence you replaced some panels on(happens more common than you know), then he can do what he wants,and you will have to ask permission to paint your side.
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewto...37506492cd
This is a good site to read through. Lots of discussions. When I replaced my fence I rebuilt it a foot or so within my property boundary line(helped straighten the fence also). Neither of my neighbours wanted to contribute to the cost of replacing the fence, but both wanted to paint it, one black, the other dark green). I refused both, as it was pretreated a light natural colour and didn't want any paint comming through on my side. Neither have attempted to paint the fence since I refused them permission.
13-03-2012 12:34am
Sarcastrix

(13-03-2012 12:07am)ceebee Wrote:  I am currently having a rear extension built and as the local water authority "adopted" the drains under my house (without telling me)

Your builder/architect should have known this considering the Govt has planned for this since 2008. The law didn't come into force until October 2011 which meant that all private sewers and lateral drains that drain to the public sewerage network transferred into the water authority ownership. Thus removing the burden of maintenance and repair from householders and allow for a more integrated sewerage network.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 08:43am by Sarcastrix.)
13-03-2012 08:37am
RacingSnake

Cheers chaps.
The fence is definately ours (marked on the deeds).

I agree with ceebee that some things aren't worth falling out over, but I can see this relatively trivial matter escalating.

Craig, I guess maybe a bit more of a direct response might well work.
I'll speak to him again, and suggest that since I have paid a not-insignificant sum for it, it would be preferable if they left it as is and could he suggest it to his missus. (Our green is better than the sh*t-brown they want anyway Laughing ).
I'm just not happy with the presumption that they're going to paint it anyway!

My missus is already on about getting onto their landlord about it, which I think would just be a huge mistake!!

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
13-03-2012 08:51am