Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Paint treatment- is it worth it?
Nickm

RE: Paint treatment- is it worth it?

I just can't believe they advertise the treatments and almost saying you won't have to clean it as much as the car will be clean after a simple hose off....it's never never that easy. I had it on a brand new TT, and the dealer threw it in or free, but it wasn't worth the paper it was written on...
11-09-2011 08:57am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

I think the best thing to do is find a good detailer who you can trust.
For those "down south" I can without doubt recommend Richard Harman of Refined Detail. (Google it)

He has detailed my BMW and will be detailing and sealing the Evoque when it arrives.
It's his own firm (not a franchise) and he is passionate about cars of all types. He is young and keen, and will discuss in detail what you want and then give you a quote which he sticks to even if it takes longer.

I don't make recommendations often but if you are in the south or south east ................?
Cheers

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
11-09-2011 09:14am
Alex

I guess the idea of paint protection leads one to assume that once its applied you have to do very little to maintain your car, however the whole subject of what we see as clean is very subjective and each to their own.

However I think if a product is applied correctly then it should add some protection than say without.

I'm an avid DIY/carpenter enthusiast and in a similar example such as applying oil to a kitchen oak worktop, there are various products and processes but the aim of applying oil is to extend the life of the wood by sealing and protecting it. However the most important factor is not just the initial application but how you maintain it (I have seen some terrible older wood kitchen tops simply due to owners not looking after the surface).

I'm guessing paint treatment is exactly the same, if applied correctly then great, but only effective if you follow a maintenance programme.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
11-09-2011 09:16am
griff

Alex you are so right - just like regularly serviceing the mechanicals - I reckon every six months you do a full work over and clean in between.
Cheers

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
11-09-2011 09:20am
Spiderman

(Removed overly long quote Griff)

Alex, you are spot on, the paint sealant treatment is exactly that, if you use Supagard or a similar product it will enhance the cars shine initially and deepen it, however, you should them use their products to wash it. they have a simple sachet you empty into a bucket of water as this tops up the process with each wash. Also every 6 months give the car a wax treatment, Autoglym or swisswax are excellent choices to use.

If you go this route I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2011 04:40pm by griff.)
11-09-2011 02:21pm
abcya

Glad I 'bumped' this subject! Interesting comments, in particular @ytshome (Sat 8.56pm if your want to look back) Stratstones also offered me a "SMART" malicious & accidental cover including paitwork damage, alloy refurbs and up to 5 tyre replacements if punctured...for £899. Yes that first number is an EIGHT. They said that the policy was a combination of two policies; one for paint, one for wheels. They said they had no documentation available to give me on this, despite making a fuss about the salesman being FSA regulated. Hmmmmm - no docs providing pre-sale of an insurance policy?
11-09-2011 10:07pm
Big G

(05-06-2011 10:58pm)vinda Wrote:  My dealers trying to flog me supaguard. Says it's 500. But he will do for 350. I'm not gonna go for it

My wife has tbis on her Audi A1, inside and out, they threw itin for free - and I have to say it works well.

Can wash with a good pre-cleaner and just dry, 4 months on water still beads nicely, and spilt some coca cola on the seat and it just beaded too and it mopped up nicely. Not as good as detailing on the outside I guess- but not bad for free either.
(10-09-2011 10:38pm)Zermatt Vulgaris Wrote:  you should be able get a decent local car detailer who will do a post purchase protection that will be a million times better than any dealer applied supaguard or similar .

Anyone know of a detailing service in Ireland at all?
(This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 01:02pm by Big G.)
14-11-2011 12:37pm
WB
WB

I'm not affiliated in any way but if you're thinking about protection/sealant products I think it's worth a look at Gtechniq.com which is very well regarded. You can google for lots of reviews/tests on the detailing websites like detailingworld.co.uk
14-11-2011 02:09pm
Big G

(11-09-2011 08:47am)Alex Wrote:  With paint treatment I assume when washing there is to need to wax it, or can you still wax it periodically, or would you use perhaps the paint treatments branded wash and wax then using a chamois to dry.

I have never paid for a treatment before and when googling and reading various forums there seems to be very mixed opinions about various branded products and DIY applications to save money and ensure quality.

There's really a good thread under Detailing and Paint protection - lots of really good information.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-paint-and...protection
14-11-2011 02:30pm
James-ferguson

DO NOT PAY FOR Supaguard... My friend is a car sales man and told me make sure they throw it in for free as it worth nothing to them especially not losing a sale over it. Went yesterday and ordered my evoque and said I'd do the deal if the through in supaguard. The guy didn't even flinch and said no problem!
25-11-2011 12:48am