Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paint defects..... anything I can do after 5k miles?
doug

RE: Paint defects..... anything I can do after 5k miles?

(22-04-2013 07:30pm)WB Wrote:  I thought the cars were all sprayed by robots with the exception of the contrast roofs which are sprayed by hand

I don't know, but hand spraying a contrast roof by hand makes sence. After all it costs a fortune Smile

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
22-04-2013 08:35pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scrannel

Look, the only way to handle this is to get a DNA sample of the hair, and then... no, actually they cannot hand you a car with hair in the paint. They have to fix it. That's 100%. They have no wiggle room here unless they are going to blame you.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
22-04-2013 09:28pm
LukeD

Contrast roof is masked and demasked by staff but is painted by robots.

Staff paint inside the door shuts on the vehicle fully suited and masked up to an airline - everything else is painted by robots.
(This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 09:36pm by LukeD.)
22-04-2013 09:34pm
Trapdoor

(22-04-2013 08:26pm)eddkawasaki Wrote:  This is what's worrying me as the car went "missing" for about a week from the original delivery date. Topix build date is 1st Oct 2012 delivery date 31st Oct 2012. It should have been delivered on the 22nd but it was supposed to be on a transporter on the 24th and would be there in 48 hours and it finally turned up at the dealers miraculously just as I phoned again on the 29th.

See, now I'd be more than a little anxious about that. If they get funny with you, confront them with the fact you believe the car was damaged in transit, repaired in the 'missing time period' and then handed to you. See what they say and if they outright deny it.

Because of the issues with my rejected car, and the fact that the dealer tried to pass it off to me with blatant defects and incorrect spec is the reason why I demanded to view my replacement car immediately after it came in, raw from the transporter.

I have been reliably informed that the dealer basically has zero opportunity to reject a car back to JLR. Once it is delivered, then it is wholly their asset and if it is damaged or whatever, they have to either suffer the loss or pass the vehicle off to us unsuspecting 'mugs' in the hope that we will never notice or find out.

In hindsight, I believe my original handover was 'designed' to ensure I didn't spot the defects, and the issue with the incorrect headlining was covered up by the salesman insisting he'd checked the spec on delivery. Of course, I caught them out through using TOPIx - the DP's comment at our meeting was "... we never realised customers had access to TOPIx and could see that level of information".

Good luck with getting it remedied. Your detailer MAY be able to take out the hair and polish the clear coat.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
22-04-2013 09:54pm
eddkawasaki

Ok, I'm just back from the detailers and dealership. The guys at polished bliss were fantastic and spent a good half an hour looking over the car and taking paint measurements (which are particularly difficult on plastic panels apparently) the paint on the defective wing is the same thickness as the opposite wing and there are no signs that the panel has been removed as all the paint on the bolts is still in perfect condition with no tool marks. So it looks like its a manufacturing defect.

So off I went to the dealership and apparently they have nothing to do with paint or bodywork there any more and did not even have a look at it, its all handled by another company which it turns out is only 3 miles from my house. Guess I should have called first.

So I popped in there on my way home and they have looked at it and are very surprised that a defect this big got through quality control. Photos were taken and they are progressing a warranty claim to respray the wing. The good news is that the company handling the claim are the ones that the guys at polished bliss recommended and they have always had good results when any work has been done for them.

Fingers crossed that it will be sorted properly by the body shop. Mediocre service at the dealership continues though. I'd have thought they would have at least had a look at it rather than just sending me on my merry way.

SD4 Dynamic Lux, 5 Door, Firenze Red, Ebony Interior, Black headlining, Black Contrast Panoramic Roof, Aeroflip Spoiler, Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel, Adaptive Xenons, TPMS & Spare wheel
Order Date: 14th May 2012
Build date: approx 5th Oct 2012
Delivery Date: Should be 22nd Oct
Actual delivery: 31st Oct

[Image: 151436.png]
23-04-2013 01:07pm
WB
WB

(23-04-2013 01:07pm)eddkawasaki Wrote:  Ok, I'm just back from the detailers and dealership. The guys at polished bliss were fantastic and spent a good half an hour looking over the car and taking paint measurements (which are particularly difficult on plastic panels apparently) the paint on the defective wing is the same thickness as the opposite wing and there are no signs that the panel has been removed as all the paint on the bolts is still in perfect condition with no tool marks. So it looks like its a manufacturing defect.

So off I went to the dealership and apparently they have nothing to do with paint or bodywork there any more and did not even have a look at it, its all handled by another company which it turns out is only 3 miles from my house. Guess I should have called first.

So I popped in there on my way home and they have looked at it and are very surprised that a defect this big got through quality control. Photos were taken and they are progressing a warranty claim to respray the wing. The good news is that the company handling the claim are the ones that the guys at polished bliss recommended and they have always had good results when any work has been done for them.

Fingers crossed that it will be sorted properly by the body shop. Mediocre service at the dealership continues though. I'd have thought they would have at least had a look at it rather than just sending me on my merry way.

Shocking that something like that should come out of the factory but then again the factory where pushing out cars with a bodywork defect on the right rear wing the size of your small fingernail for at least 6 weeks with nobody in "Quality" control spotting it!!!

Not a bad result overall but you should push LR for compensation as you will now have a car that has had paint work through no fault of your own. At the very least I would suggest they should pay for your first service.

While LR are very good at taking on warranty issues it will still be an inconvenience and I'd suggest exercising your right to ask for an equivalent or better loan car.

Keep us posted and good luck!
23-04-2013 02:07pm
Trapdoor

You should have seen the dent & crease in my drivers door sill that 'should never have got through QC' - considering it was done to the bodyshell before it was painted in the factory, and that large numbers of build operations were carried out with the dent in full sight - and let's not forget the dealership who PDI'd and prepped the car who should have spotted it (or they did but just let is pass in the hope I'd not notice).

I believe there is something fundamentally wrong with the QC processes and procedures at Halewood....

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
23-04-2013 08:00pm
Kojak

(23-04-2013 08:00pm)Trapdoor Wrote:  I believe there is something fundamentally wrong with the QC processes and procedures at Halewood....

For all the faffing around with short descriptions, long descriptions, good descriptions and poor descriptions that have been used across the Evoque forums on a multitude of issues.....
They matter not, you've hit the nail on the head.

Problems occur, I accept.
Problems some times get through lots of gates and reach the customer with out being picked up, I accept.
The shear volume (even excepting disproportion thanks to the internet) is out of sync with reasonable expectation of paying customers.

The bar seems set pretty low and an influx of new and inexperienced employees undergoing training to cope with demand will undoubtably impact whatever problems are there.
Consistency is missing.

But in the interest of balance...
I respect the experience, skills and dedication of many workers at Halewood who have produced a wonderful car for me.

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 08:26pm by Kojak.)
23-04-2013 08:23pm
eddkawasaki

Quick update, I’ve got the car booked in for the warranty respray on the wing on 27th May. They are saying I will get their (the bodyshops) courtesy car which is a “class A small car” for the two days they will have it. Is it written down anywhere that we are supposed to get a like for like or better courtesy car?

SD4 Dynamic Lux, 5 Door, Firenze Red, Ebony Interior, Black headlining, Black Contrast Panoramic Roof, Aeroflip Spoiler, Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel, Adaptive Xenons, TPMS & Spare wheel
Order Date: 14th May 2012
Build date: approx 5th Oct 2012
Delivery Date: Should be 22nd Oct
Actual delivery: 31st Oct

[Image: 151436.png]
02-05-2013 11:30am
recordman

Doubt it.

Mine went in for the Q261 software update yesterday. I was given a 62 plate FL2 manual. Felt like going back to the dark ages!

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 11:41am by recordman.)
02-05-2013 11:39am