Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paddle Shift.
The Valeter

Paddle Shift.

I played with the paddle shift yesterday for pretty much the first time. I clicked it & it went into 2nd gear but stayed there! Is that normal?

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
22-04-2012 06:10pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gw76

RE: Paddle Shift.

Unless you change it then yes, or you hold the right hand one to reset and switch off.
22-04-2012 06:34pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

in 'D' it will change at the rev limiter.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
22-04-2012 06:48pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simonc

In D it will revert to automatic mode after a short period, in S it will stay in command shift mode until you hold either paddle for a second or so to deactivate command shift mode.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
23-04-2012 12:59pm
Claud

Simonc, thanks for hold the paddle advice in S mode Thumbs Up, I have been rotating the gearbox selector to D to to take out of command shift mode which is a faff.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
(This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 08:23pm by Claud.)
23-04-2012 08:22pm
The Valeter

(23-04-2012 12:59pm)simonc Wrote:  In D it will revert to automatic mode after a short period, in S it will stay in command shift mode until you hold either paddle for a second or so to deactivate command shift mode.

That is what I thought but when I held the paddle it didn't change. Confused

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
23-04-2012 08:33pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

According to the online owner's manual in Topix when in Sport setting holding the + paddle for 1 second will take you out of command shift and return you to Sport mode auto (i.e. it won't shift gear until the rev limiter is reached) The paddles will not shift you back into D you have to do that manually by rotating the selector from S to D. If you are in command shift the manual states you have to manually shift gears using the paddles, unless you take the revs up to the limiter when it will shift up a gear to prevent engine/ gearbox damage.

So D = fully auto gearbox with option to manually shift using the paddles
S = manual gearbox will only shift up when you pull the +paddle or the rev limiter is reached
In S mode pulling the + paddle after manually shifting returns you to full bore rev limiter limited auto changes

It sounds mad but if you are off road in the auto then to have more control over the gearbox you should use Command Shift in Sport mode and "manually" shift gears up and down - this was how it used to be done with the old style auto selector - move the lever to the left into "tiptronic" mode (aka Command Shift in Land Rover Speak) and use the +/- of the tiptronic to manually hold gears for better engine braking going down hill - I would also suggest that in the winter in the TR GGS setting this might also be preferable than leaving the gearbox in the D setting

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 10:45pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-04-2012 10:43pm
simonc

Normal (non-command shift) S mode doesn't wait till you hit the rev limiter to change up (though it does hold onto gears longer than D) - it's only if you are in S and in command shift mode that it will wait till you hit the rev limiter before changing.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
24-04-2012 11:57am