Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One Tank In....
Pete

One Tank In....

Well, I picked up my 2012 Prestige Lux a little over a week/400 miles ago.

Before this, I had a 2012 Range Rover SDV8 which I loved, but proved to be somewhat expensive to run. Since the warranty period had just about ended, it seemed the right time to chop it in for something easier on the pocket.

I was hoping to be able to more of less swap one for the other, but travelling to the four corners of the UK in the RR put a stack of miles on it and the value just wasn't there (almost 60k miles).

I did want the 9 speed, but couldn't really justify spending £4k more The Prestige Lux has pretty much all of the features I want anyway (lux and tech packs)

Like many other people, I've not had a really great experience of buying from dealerships, and my Range Rover had to go back several times for various pieces of work that should really have been done before handover. I was particularly unhappy at a botched oil change that left oil all over the car park at work and having to be towed away by Land Rover Assist.

With that in mind, Land Rover really did give me good service in trying to do better this time, and they almost succeeded.

So it's now the Evoque's turn to go back:
* Squeaking driver's seat
* Centre console trim dented and scratched up
* Odd paint issue where the shade of paint from one panel to another is totally different (and odd how I never noticed this before, and neither did anyone else). It's possible that the paint protection treatment has gone out of whack.

Still, I'm absolutely loving the car (never had a red car or one with a ivory/cappuccino interior before). It's comfortable, and the driving dynamic is superb. I still wish that the audio/visual/satnav system had at least an attempt at being modern, but it does the job perfectly well (coming from a Freelander 2 and Range Rover, I'm used to it).

When I ordered the car, I of course asked for a full tank of fuel. I wasn't really happy with the performance and throttle response over the past week and put it down to the fact that the new engine is half the size of what I was used to before. But now I've filled the tank again, it's driving and responding far better. I have a funny idea that the dealership is using some really filthy cheap fuel.

I'm looking forward to some longer journeys now, and heading up to Scotland again next year.
30-10-2015 12:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pete

RE: One Tank In....

Well, despite the best efforts of the sales team at the dealership to give me a perfect car, it's going back to the dealership next week for a week's worth of work.

On the plus side, I demonstrated the assisted parking feature to my other half the other day. She was suitably impressed. Amazingly, it actually parked pretty close to the curb too.
03-11-2015 07:14pm
Steve D

I bought the same car, roughly the same time and have covered roughly the same amount of miles as you. Sorry to hear of your problems. Coming from a Freelander 2, I find it a lot more luxurious. I haven't had any problems with the car as such, just the dealer! I agreed a deal to include a spare wheel and jack etc but when it was delivered to me it hadn't been fitted. They now want to come and take the car back to fit it - a 170 mile round trip! I told them to just deliver the parts to me and I'll fit them myself. They also promised me a fresh MOT but forgot that too - it's mot'd until July 2016 though. They said I could get it done and they will reimburse me btg I can do my own mot for nothing so I told them to forget it and asked for a set of rubber floor mats in lieu of the mot. They agreed and they are dropping them down with the wheel. Very Happy

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
03-11-2015 08:04pm
Pete

Yes, I have the same experience with my dealer. The front shop people are invariably good, but let down by the service team in that sometimes they don't seem to finish the job.

They, like your guys, didn't MOT the car before they gave it to me (and the current MOT runs out pretty soon, so they should have done that). I'm having it done at my own expense and hope not to get any advisories out of it.

I had a fairly bad time of things with my previous Range Rover in that there were some items that really should have been checked before delivery. Other cases of fairly poor service were also talked about with my current sales person. She's fairly new to the job, so really wanted to give me a perfect sales experience to make up for last time. Just before hand-over, she actually called me and delayed delivery as it wasn't up to standard (which was a good call on her part). Unfortunately, there's more things to be dealt with. Understandably, she was pretty upset.

Thankfully, I have a courtesy car sorted out (should be another Evoque), so we'll see what they forget to do this time around....

I also has a Freelander (before moving up to the Range Rover). I never had a problem with it and it served me very well. I'd say it's the reason why I like Land Rover (as a brand) so much now.
03-11-2015 08:45pm
Pete

I picked up my courtesy car this morning. It turned out to be a brand new Disco Sport HSE and this is the first time I've driven one. I'd say that in terms of comfort and driving experience, it's almost exactly in between the Evoque and my previous Range Rover. Even though it's got more room and space than the Evoque, it feels a bit cheap in places (lots of plastic around the cabin, the rear seats leave the seat rails exposed when in 5 seat mode and the load cover seems distinctly thin and flimsy. The InContact system looks visually better, but it's still somewhat odd in terms of user interface.

I'm missing my Evoque already...
09-11-2015 08:24pm
Pete

The Disco Sport continues to disappoint me, it seemed to be playing up a bit on the journey home last night, but this morning it was definitely suffering from sporadic juddering coming off the motorway - I really thought it was going to give up the ghost.
10-11-2015 08:51am
Pete

All credit to the dealership, they swapped my load car for another brand new Disco Sport without any quibble. Even filled the tank up for me.
10-11-2015 07:38pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Probably so that you didn't do any further damage to it rather keep driving a defective vehicle longer than necessary.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-11-2015 10:02am
Pete

I agree there. I was surprised did with less than a day's notice. In the past when I've wanted a courtesy car, I've been told that "they're all out, might be a few weeks until ones available again". I guess I'll find out tomorrow where things are with my Evoque.
15-11-2015 11:20am
Pete

And finally back into my Evoque again, it's good to be home.

I am going to miss the 57mpg I had in the loaner Disco Sport though....

Porsche Macan
19-11-2015 09:46am