Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nothing's quicker than a.............................. fitter
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Nothing's quicker than a.............................. fitter

Actually an Ikea kitchen fitter - or rather two of them. I'm having a new Ikea fitted kitchen fitted today, 2 guys in mobile workshop appeared at 8:30 this morning (was told they would be here by 9 and I am a long hike from their base). By 10am they had completely removed 18 old units, washing machine, cooker and fridge and all the old tiling.
Now approaching 14:50 and 75% of the new units are built and installed - this is in a 12ft x 12ft kitchen so not the largest by they aren't half motoring and doing a great neat tidy job and tomorrow they finish and take the old units away.................... The power of Ikea is amazing, at 9am they found one unit carcass was not delivered with the rest of the kitchen, they get on their phone and a special courier service delivers a floor mount 400mm drawer unit at 1pm. Tomorrow electrician comes to install and commission the new built under combination microwave/grill/fan oven, fridge, deepfreeze and hob and put my nice Miele washer dryer back in. Then I have to wait with temporary work tops with sink unit and drainer while the stone one is made to measure in Germany.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2012 03:55pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-11-2012 03:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IKM

RE: Nothing's quicker than a.............................. fitter

They never fail to impress me. I furnished my rented house in Stavanger entirely from Ikea. I thought by the end of the lease that the furniture and fittings would be ready for the bin. Wrong! They'll last for years and years.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
21-11-2012 05:20pm
BeemerBoy

can't fault ikea - they do great beds too!

SD4 - Orkney Grey - Dynamic Coupe Lux: ebony leather, style 8, black panoramic roof, satin brushed and gloss black interior, aeroflip, adaptive xenons
21-11-2012 11:45pm
XFullFatTim

Well I'm having doubts about how good their computers are! Between my work surface and the high level cupboards I specced a laminate backing, exact match of the laminate work surface, made to measure to fit the wall gap............... what has been supplied is 10cm high (and made especially!) when it should have been 45cm high! 6m long in 2 sections is a big mistake in their design centre (and costly for them!)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-11-2012 12:09am
WB
WB

I'm impressed that they've removed the old kitchen and tiles and installing everything - sounds like a very comprehensive service.

Shame they messed up the backing!
22-11-2012 01:33pm
Evo-king

Is it finished yet?

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
22-11-2012 11:29pm
XFullFatTim

They left at 4 this afternoon, everything except the bespoke built under sink and stone drainer that are yet to be made and the tiling that cannot be done until the above is made and installed but I have a very nice laminate temporary work top and sink/drainer. Their electrician did turn up today as he should have so the fridge, freezer, hob, combination oven/grill/microwave, extractor hood and my washing machine are not wire in yet - assured he will be here first thing tomorrow as will the truck and skip to take away what is left of the old kitchen units now my neighbours have salvaged a few units to put in their garages for storing things. the design is Ikea's Sofilund - grey brown walnut with grey sandstone effect laminate work tops on two sides and the sink drainer and that work top will be black polished stone when that arrives in 6-8 weeks time from being hand made in Germany - have photos but the walls are still bare plasterboard after the old tiles were removed. Can post if anyone is interested. So from old kitchen to a usable new one was scheduled to be 4 days but will take 3 then there is a 2 day return call when the stone top and tiling are ready to be done

(This post was last modified: 23-11-2012 12:38am by XFullFatTim.)
23-11-2012 12:35am
Nowaytk

Tim, just make sure that if any electrical work is being done ( to wiring etc ), you must get all the appropriate certification. If just altering wiring then a minor works cert will do & defiantly a Part P.
The sparks carrying out the work should issue this, & you should get these at a later stage after completion of the electrical work

evoque now gone, but not forgotten, on to bigger and better things
23-11-2012 07:46am
XFullFatTim

Thanks for that NowayTK, reminds me I have to chase up the electrician who recently did up my bathroom and had to move the swiches out into the hall.

23-11-2012 09:17am