Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New top gear 2013
MarkLondon

RE: New top gear 2013

It's fun and entertaining and I think it works well at that level.

Arrived Jan 2013 from Hadley Green Arrow Prestige SD4 Manual, Fuji White, Pan Roof, Cirrus/Lunar, Aluminium, Ivory Headliner, A/D, Privacy, Lux Pack, Xenons etc
21-01-2013 11:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

I enjoy top gear as it is, as has been said the guys have a great chemistry. Personally I'm not interested in the best budget hatchback or the the best hothatch for less than £30k. It's one hour of entertainment, escapism and if given the chance I would love to cross Botswana in banger, drive a fiesta through a shopping centre or cross the channel in a Toyota Hilux.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
21-01-2013 02:36pm
Amadeus

Currently enjoying all their reruns from the beginning of the show. They certainly have aged over the years! One of my favourites was when they converted a couple of cars, attached caravans to them and then ran them on train tracks. That was hilarious.

eD4 Pure Fuji Coupe | Tech Pack | Pano Roof | Cirrus Leather | Powerfold Mirrors | Xenons | 19" Style 3s | arr 5Apr13
(This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 05:56pm by Amadeus.)
21-01-2013 05:52pm
simonc

I really like Top Gear and am glad it is finally making it's way back to our screens. I'm sure I read that it actually makes far more money from being sold abroad than it costs to make, if so it is actually saving license payers money!

Anyone who tries to take it as a serious motoring program is somewhat missing the point I think - it's first and foremost entertainment with maybe the odd bit of useful motoring info to be found across a series.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
21-01-2013 06:47pm
Cedric

There are quite a few women here who admit they love top gear, some that aren't even interested in cars. So it's not really a show about cars, but about 3 grown men who behave like kids and having the time of their lives.

I still watch it, but there aren't many original jokes anymore in the show. The news is one of the best bits. Fantastic moments:
- Trying to destroy a hilux. 'This is an airfield. What could we possibly do here to try to destroy it?' The car falls from a crane on its roof behind Clarkson.
- The expedition to the north pole 'James May is probably the only person in the world that has ever gone to the nort pole who doesn't want to be there'.
- Recreating the space shuttle - kudos for that idea.
- Shooting cars at caravans in a quarry.
- Driving full-size radio controlled cars in a quarry and invite a 15(?) year old girl who won some titles.
- The cool wall.
- Arriving in WWII planes over Belgium to race against Germans.
- Many car vs something else races

Can't remember if they ever tested a car Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 02:43pm by Cedric.)
22-01-2013 02:43pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I love the specials and especially the one where they travelled across South America and the scooters through Vietnam. It was after that that the specials became "comic entertainment" not good TV. For many years after I got rid of my TV, TG was the only program I really missed, I still watch it but don't find it that much of a consumer program as it was back in the 1980's.
Most enjoyed broadcasts I think we're the Disco3 to the top of Benn Tongue, the Overfinched FFRR versus the SLK, the FFRR drove off road parallel to the SLK on the runway and still beat it and the episode where they pitted then then new BMW X5 against a selection of proper 4WD cars and the X5 never got passed the farm gate, even Clarkson's own XC90 got well stuck and the recent drives of the Evoque in Arizona and Nevada. I thought the last 3 Christmas specials were not that entertaining and more "look at me being stupid" but each to their own.
I hasten to add that I will be looking to download the editions of the new season that I miss while I'm away!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 04:12pm by XFullFatTim.)
22-01-2013 04:04pm