Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New member, trying to decide on my order
simonc

New member, trying to decide on my order

Hi all,

I only recently found this site but I've been interested in the Evoque for months now. I had told myself that I would wait till I had actually test driven one before making a firm decision to buy, but having had a go behind the wheel on Friday I was sold there and then! Laughing I've put down my £1k for a build slot but not yet decided on the precise model and spec yet, which is where I was hoping I could get a bit of input!

I'm fairly certain I want to go for the 5 door in Firenze Red with black interior (including ebony headlining), panoramic roof, and probably the SD4. Ideally I would like the Dynamic, though I am also looking at the Pure with a few extra options like the Tech & Style packs and Xenons as that still gets me most of what I would like while saving around £4000 compared with the Dynamic (if I go Dynamic then I would probably also take a contrast roof along with the panoramic). I do prefer the external look of the Dynamic, as well as the interior trim, but not sure if that along with Magneride, 20" alloys and a rear camera is worth the extra cost.

I test drove the SD4 which I found to be very nice and smooth, but it did leave me wondering if I would prefer the Si4 with a bit more poke - I'm hoping to get a test drive in the that in the near future which should hopefully help me decide (or make decision making even harder!). It will probably come down to just how big a difference in performance there is between the two in real world driving.

Also not sure if keyless entry is worth splashing out for - it's something I like the idea of, but maybe I'm just getting caught up in the gimmicky gadgetry of it all!

Anyone else found themselves in a Pure vs Dynamic quandry? Of course if I do decide to go Si4 then that makes the Pure vs Dynamic decision defunct!

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
12-09-2011 05:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: New member, trying to decide on my order

Simon welcome to the forum. SD4 or Si4 I would say is very much dependant on how many miles you do annually and whether your motoring is mainly in town or long haul. If you are doing big annual mileages then I would say you should consider the diesel. If you are doing short trips and mainly town driving you won't get the benefits of a diesel and will find the petrol a better option. I initially wanted an Si4 as I felt that was the right engine for the Coupe, but was dissuaded and am very please with the diesel, it is quieter than the same engine in the Freelander2, just as smooth and I am getting better consumption than the combined that LR say it should, the car has covered 550 miles so far and on the trip computer I am seeing trip averages in the low 40'smpg in local driving and did see 45mpg on the motorway at one stage, I no longer bother keeping fuel records - life is too short for that and it didn't achieve much. I appear also to have a lighter right foot than most and it is a few years since stopped being a "boy racer"!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011 05:29pm by XFullFatTim.)
12-09-2011 05:27pm
kevoque

Hi simon,
And welcome teat drove the Dynamic in both the diesel and petrol the other day I had order the petrol but was very surprised with the diesel but for the extra poke and from having m3 coupe & vw scirocco prior it made me edge to the petrol dynamic then my father has since thn ordered the diesel!!
12-09-2011 05:30pm
mark_n

There's the usual difference in power delivery between diesel (more torque, lower max RPM, lower power) and petrol (less torque, higher max RPM, higher power) which means the through gears acceleration of the Si4 will be rather better but the increased torque of the diesel makes for better in-gear performance or "flexibility". You'll need to stir the cogs with the petrol to get it to perform especially with the turbo, floor the accelerator at, say, 1500 rpm and not much will happen.

The other issue is of course fuel consumption, I think the Si4 will struggle to reach, never mind exceed, 30 mpg in real world driving.

FWIW, a German review I've read, and will post a summary of, came down heavily in favour of the petrol.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
13-09-2011 01:56am
simonc

Thanks for the responses guys - I'll be interested to read the summary of that review mark.

Yeah my mine problem at the moment is that at the end of the year I will be getting posted either to Swanwick (near Southampton where I currently live), or to Prestwick (in which case I would probably be moving to Glasgow). If I remain in Southampton then my daily commute will be about 10 miles each way - short enough for the petrol to be a perfectly viable choice, but if I get Prestwick then the commute will be more like 30 miles each way, in which case the diesel obviously makes more sense. I suppose if worst comes to worst I could try changing from one to the other - I should find out mid-Dec where I'm going and the approximate delivery date given to me when I booked the build slot is around March time. Not sure if that would be too close to make that sort of change though? Guess I'll speak to the dealership about it and see what they think too.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
13-09-2011 05:27am
mark_n

Simon, I've posted it, "Good Review from Germany".

Every review I've read concedes the Evoque benefits from the extra power and if you can park the higher running costs, I think the Si4 will offer the more refined, more sporting driving experience. It lost out to an Audi TT S in What Car, but they are hardly comparable in form and function.

Mark

13-09-2011 07:44am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Isn't Si4 only available in the UK as an automatic - that also might be something to consider if you aren't into autos

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-09-2011 10:54am
mark_n

Yes, dynamic auto only, so agree that's something to consider.

Mark

13-09-2011 01:50pm
underscore

Ive gone for the Pure - simply coz i wanted to keep it below £35k. so its a Pure SD4 Auto, Sumatra, STyle 4 wheels, Pano roof, Style Pack, Park Assist. Comes in at £35k.
13-09-2011 03:31pm
crown62

Well I've decided Si4 Firenze red, black contrast roof, and dynamic plus, but just can't decide 3 or 5 door, or privacy glass or not. I have an order in place for feb delivery for a 5 door so better make my mind up! If it's a change to 3 door then there is the rear seat question to decide too ?

Current : 2012 Si4 Firenze red Dynamic 5 door black pano roof
Lotus 2013 Elise S3
2014 Hyundai i10
For 2016 ?
13-09-2011 09:03pm