Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Mini Roadster
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

New Mini Roadster

Due to lack of proper use I have been considering selling my Defender and buying a small 2 seat roadster. This afternoon I had a look at the Mini Roadster..................... beautifully built, horrendously expensive with equally expensive options but it looks great fun. No sure whether to go for a diesel of a petrol - probably an automatic too. I would prefer to buy British but also like the MX5 coupe/cab folding tintop which is 2/3rds the price of the mini.
Does anybody here have any experience of the new style Mini and it's reliability and running costs?
The local dealer has a mini Roadster on their showroom floor priced up at £27,000................ makes an Evoque look good value for money!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-04-2012 04:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

RE: New Mini Roadster

With my A5 Cabrio going back and getting into a 'tin top' as my daily drive for the 1st time in more than 10 years in the very near future I've also been wondering about another Cabrio to keep as a toy....

Mazda are part owned by Ford if it makes it easier Tim - Mini are owned by BMW...easy decision I feel...

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
25-04-2012 06:10pm
XFullFatTim

Ye, I know about Ford owning Mazda but my brother ran an earlier version of the MX5, it ran faultlessly for 6 years until a dumb blonde ran into the back of it writing it off - he replaced it with an A4 cab 9 years ago that ran with only minor hiccups and that has just been replaced with an A5 cab........................... that so far has flattened 3 batteries and broken down twice since last October!
The problems with me for the mini are a) I don't like the 4 seater convertibles that my local dealer has a huge choice of "pre-reg" 12 plate cars and b) the price of a factory built roadster is frightening and the 3 the dealer has on discount either have poverty spec or there is the showroom car at £27000 which is a little more than I really wanted to spend!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 06:55pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-04-2012 06:50pm
Straydox

My inclination (heart rather than head) is to buy a 3 or 4 year oldA4 RS4 Cabrio - wonderful V8 engine 420 willing ponies and an unbeatable aural sound track to go with it - fuel economy isn't an issue with the massive depreciation of the new car gone is sorely tempting.... I'd probably SORN that car Oct to March anyway.

Are you thinking of the soft-top as a summer toy too? Maybe a 911/996 instead...

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 07:10pm by Straydox.)
25-04-2012 07:08pm
ED209

A roadster should be rwd which the mini is not, buy a used vx220, elise, s2000, z4 etc and use the saved cash for fuel to hoon it around.

Pointless taking the soft option if its only a car for sunny days.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
25-04-2012 07:43pm
XFullFatTim

Well..................... the only rear wheel drive car I have ever owned was a TVR 450 (the plastic wedge!) so I got the need for fast, skittish RWD out of my system. It never went backwards through a hedge but it certainly gave me a fright or two! Maybe I'm the wrong side of 50 and the wrong shape for a real sports car.......... the local Pug dealership has a rather nice Merc SL on their forecourt at a realistic price and if it hasn't sold over the weekend (unlikely in the current weather here) I will go and take a look - this one
http://www.used-cars.peugeot.co.uk/deale...=se_de_re_

(This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 08:03pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-04-2012 07:59pm
tash

Had a new mini cooper 3dr for 6mth waiting for evoque, a real disappointment!!

I now look at minis differently, they are noisy, tinney, plasticky, over priced. The used values are rubbish and no where near what they where as there's loads around and people have realised their naff.

Go for a proper 2 seat roadster not a 3dr hatch with a baseball cap hat, as noted above a nice z4, used 370z, mx5

Above is only my option by the way, but I wouldn't again and regret ever buying a new mini.

.......go for the SL no comparison!

Ed4 pure 5 door, Fuji, pan roof, tech pack, privacy, fog lights, style 6 wheels, ebony interior, delivery 22nd March
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 08:09pm by tash.)
25-04-2012 08:07pm
Donny Dog

(25-04-2012 07:59pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  the local Pug dealership has a rather nice Merc SL on their forecourt at a realistic price and if it hasn't sold over the weekend (unlikely in the current weather here) I will go and take a look - this one
http://www.used-cars.peugeot.co.uk/deale...=se_de_re_

It sounds like a bargain if it's in good nick. I drive an SL500 and it's the best car I've ever owned. You'll get better mpg out of an SL than an Si4 - I get 28-30 mpg no matter how I drive it, or how fast (although I'm very light-footed as I like to be 'kind' to cars). If you don't get the SL, and want a small two-seat roadster, why not look at an SLK?
25-04-2012 08:28pm
bogstomper

Used Boxters are very good value now - wont tick the British box obviously but supposed to be about as good to drive as it gets and a used S could be about half the price of that mini...! ()o)
25-04-2012 08:49pm
XFullFatTim

Thanks for the mini advice Tash, what I cannot understand is why somebody would chop in an 8 year old SL for a Pug, unless it's the RZC they have gone for.

25-04-2012 09:54pm