Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Evoque...different steering...less feel?
Ricvifarho

Just changed my 2012 Firenze Prestige SD4 manual at 59000 miles for a Firenze (with Santorini roof) HSE Dynamic auto. First time I have ever bought another of same car...shows how much I enjoyed it-reliable too.
Both have Pano, adaptive dynamics, adaptive headlights (LEDS this time), and moved the black roof rails to the new car.

Just picked up the HSE today...engine is so much smoother and nine speed box impressive. More comfy over smaller bumps too. Only slight negative ..is the steering slightly less highly geared now? Seems slightly less keen to turn in at small inputs, maybe the Goodyear tyres just need scrubbing in?
Any thoughts from others?

#1...Prestige SD4, Firenze, manual, adaptive dynamics and xenons, pano, black rails...not much else
Del 1/3/12 ,59000 very enjoyable miles
#2...HSE Dynamic TD4180, March 2016, Firenze with Santorini roof, roof rails from #1, auto, adaptive dynamics, pano, adaptive LEDs...Meridian 380W..and heated steering wheel! This is Scotland after all!
24-03-2016 08:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ricvifarho

RE: New Evoque...different steering...less feel?

More info...steering feel and turn- in definitely way off the old Prestige..maybe tracking/ alignment issues?

#1...Prestige SD4, Firenze, manual, adaptive dynamics and xenons, pano, black rails...not much else
#2...HSE Dynamic TD4180, March 2016, Firenze with Santorini roof, roof rails from #1, auto, adaptive dynamics, pano, adaptive LEDs...Meridian 380W..and heated steering wheel! This is Scotland after all!
26-03-2016 01:25am
Ricvifarho

Latest...after Edinburgh trip from Aberdeenshire...quick and smooth on the dual carriageway...but frustrating and disappointing on the B roads...where has the magical chassis gone?
May need to drive a Macan soon!

30-03-2016 12:22am
AndyFrance

Don't drive a Macan! They're not everyone's cup of tea, but they're in a different league to the Evoque. There's no comparison. After, you'd think your Evoque was a Transit Van. Sorry forum, but it's true.
30-03-2016 06:58am
Ricvifarho

So yours was the same AndyFrance?! I think I've worked out what HSE means...Highway and Shopping Edition...

30-03-2016 07:19am
AndyFrance

I live in an area where most backroads are twisty, unmade, or both. I bought the Evoque because I believed it could handle those with ease. In a way it did, but the more I drove the Evoque, the more quirk's I noticed. In my mind the Evoque's drive is dated. Let's be honest, they're little tanks that look stunning. I wanted more than the looks, but it didn't quite deliver. I would've kept it even though the ride wasn't up to much in my mind........I sold it because it was badly built and riddled with fault's.

When I tested the Macan, instantly you feel in total control. It is precise in every aspect and far more capable than the Evoque (in my opinion). The longer the test went on, the bigger the grin. The dealer was laughing throughout the drive...........He knew I was going to order one.

I'm not here to plug Porsche, and who knows, my new Macan (when I get it) could be another lemon. I just think people need to realise that the Macan is a serious piece of kit.........I don't think the Evoque is anywhere near it.

Test the Macan and you'll probably want to own one.
30-03-2016 07:40am
Ricvifarho

Interesting...today I test drove a MY14 Dynamic with 9-speed auto..which was half way between my manual MY12...with good handling but noisier engine ..and the MY16 with smooth engine but loose handling...
So what are you driving AndyFrance while you wait for the Macan?

So...Macan test drive on Friday hopefully!

30-03-2016 08:34pm
AndyFrance

Ricvifarho,

I'm now driving our used and abused Dacia Duster DCi.........Don't laugh yet.

I've said it here before, I could have bought 3 brand new for the price of my Evoque. The Duster has served us without fault for almost 4 years. The best value for money we've ever had from a car. 80,000km's so far on the original tyres, and cheap fixed price servicing. Of course it's not in the same class as the Evoque, but it has never caused us any heartache, and has even taken us and the 2 kid's to Spain and back 3 times..........Yes, it's boring, uninspiring and it just sits there. You look at it and feel nothing, but it does the job, and next year I will be trading it in for another Duster.

You can laugh now Laughing

Cheers
Andy

Ricvifarho,

I will add..........If you test the Macan Friday, you're gonna have a painful weekend.....Trying to justify NOT buying one Monday morning!

Best wishes!
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2016 09:07pm by AndyFrance.)
30-03-2016 09:04pm
bigmac3161

Macan will be a great drive just built one on the Porsche configurator 52 grand it'd need to be a lot better than my evoque.
30-03-2016 09:51pm
AndyFrance

(30-03-2016 09:51pm)bigmac3161 Wrote:  Macan will be a great drive just built one on the Porsche configurator 52 grand it'd need to be a lot better than my evoque.

We all perceive things differently. It may not float your boat, and people here have said it's not for them. For me, the Macan wins........It drives how I'd always imagined a Porsche would drive..........and some.

I'm waiting to hear what Ricvifarho thinks about it if he takes the test drive on Friday.

Cheers
30-03-2016 10:03pm