Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Evoque...different steering...less feel?
Steve D

RE: New Evoque...different steering...less feel?

[Image: image_zpspjh4jawu.jpeg]

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
03-04-2016 04:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndyFrance

Laughing

At first, but not any longer. This wouldn't apply to you steve D as you bought an old secondhand car...........

3 people so far not buying NEW from JLR due to my story. I may get bored at 10 and move on, but for now I'm enjoying the game.
03-04-2016 04:55pm
Steve D

Might be secondhand but at least I bought a proven version. Very Happy

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 05:07pm by Steve D.)
03-04-2016 05:05pm
AndyFrance

True, but without bothering to look back at your posts, I remember you have had a few problem's with your proven one.

All that nonsense aside, Phil is right, it's important that Ric gets some answer's, because if the MY16 is not as good as previous models, then it should be addressed by JLR.

I think Tata have a lot to do with it making cutbacks. JLR may have sourced cheaper/less reliable parts to save money. The way Tata's steel business is panning out, the future isn't looking bright for JLR at the moment IMO.
03-04-2016 06:10pm
Steve D

The father-in-law used to work in development at Fords and (so he said) when they had a good seller, after a while the next phase was always 'how can we make them cheaper' which I think may still be true in the case of JLR.

03-04-2016 08:05pm
PhilSkill

That's pretty true in any Car maker, there is normally a sweet spot around 6-12 months in... while production gets going to full steam and problems ironed out before they have to find a way to keep them selling and maximize profit to pay for future R+D.

Well we're not buying cheap Chinese cars (yet... Confused ) just cars made of cheap Chinese steel (excluding JLR of course... at the moment!)

On the Non leather thing, the Alcantara Seats in my Merc are actually very good with 0 wear showing at all, and don't suffer the natural ripples and bulges that many on here complain about. And they definitely don't feel like the Vinyl seats of our family Hillman Imp way back when Laughing

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
03-04-2016 09:29pm
Clip

(03-04-2016 09:29pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  On the Non leather thing, the Alcantara Seats in my Merc are actually very good with 0 wear showing at all, and don't suffer the natural ripples and bulges that many on here complain about. And they definitely don't feel like the Vinyl seats of our family Hillman Imp way back when Laughing
I have the Alcantra seats in my Merc too. Really like them and would have them in preference to leather any day.
Re. your Hillman Imp Phil, nothing wrong with a Hillman, I also have a '59 Husky that I use as a daily driver. Great little car for running around in Smile
03-04-2016 09:55pm
Ricvifarho

Tata did say they wanted to take £4m costs out of JLR a few months back...maybe some of that was in the steering and suspension parts...
The car is in for a check of tracking/alignment on Thurs...not holding my breath though.
Thanks for all the supportive posts anyhow.

#1...Prestige SD4, Firenze, manual, adaptive dynamics and xenons, pano, black rails...not much else
Del 1/3/12 ,59000 very enjoyable miles
#2...HSE Dynamic TD4180, March 2016, Firenze with Santorini roof, roof rails from #1, auto, adaptive dynamics, pano, adaptive LEDs...Meridian 380W..and heated steering wheel! This is Scotland after all!
04-04-2016 12:30am
EarlofEltham

I replaced my Mk5 Golf GTI with a TD4 180 HSE Evoque this year.
Sure it's no GTI, but I've found the the handling and performance just fine and really can't say I miss the hot hatch.
06-04-2016 01:56am
Ricvifarho

Hot news!
I was phoned by the dealership at 4pm to say ' the service engineer says the reason your old car handled better than your new one is that it had adaptive suspension and your new one has standard suspension'!! This is despite the dynamic button and fancy symbol on the info screen and red dials...
Which may be therefore the only bits of Adaptive Dynamics I actually have fitted. And I have paid the approx grand extra of course.

At the dealer all was confusion and the tech had gone home..Need to speak to him tomorrow...and I have asked what they are going to do about it...
Driving back repeatedly switching in and out of dynamic mode..what I had previously thought of as 'subtle' differences are now I reckon.. no differences. Phone call with engineer tomorrow....

#1...Prestige SD4, Firenze, manual, adaptive dynamics and xenons, pano, black rails...not much else
Del 1/3/12 ,59000 very enjoyable miles
#2...HSE Dynamic TD4180, March 2016, Firenze with Santorini roof, roof rails from #1, auto, adaptive dynamics, pano, adaptive LEDs...Meridian 380W..and heated steering wheel! This is Scotland after all!
07-04-2016 07:11pm