Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bonnet Selection
Mark

Bonnet Selection

Today I asked LR via email the following question;

"Can you please put a Coupe bonnet on my 5 Door Dynamic at the factory?"

The reply, with I am sure, a wry smile,
"Unfortunately, fitting a Coupe bonnet on a 5 door on the production line is not possible."

and my options are,
"You need to either ask the local dealership for cost of supply, paint and fit of a new Coupe bonnet plus vents to your vehicle. The alternative is to cut the bonnet for the vents but this may have implications with regard to the paint warranty."

Before I fruitlessly pursue my request, does anybody know why it cant be done at the factory?

Regards

Mark
18-10-2011 04:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Bonnet Selection

Because there is no check box for that option for the computer to read. It isn't an option so you will have to get a body shop involved. The best option is to buy a Coupe bonnet pre-cut and primed and get the body shop to spray it. I don't understand why the vented bonnet isn't available for the 5 door, I was told that the coupe needed it for additional cooling but TBH I don't see what extra heat is generated by a Coupe's engine over a 5 door's engine to need extra cooling.........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-10-2011 04:49pm
mark_n

It's a real vent in that the hole goes all the way though but its function is mainly stylistic and may account for a little of the extra cost of the coupe, or maybe not. The coupe doesn't have rear doors obviously so they save on electric window winders, door locks and the rest but still manage to charge more. They are not the first manufacturer to charge more for a "decontented" (which term is in my Urban Dictionary but not my OED) car.

The bonnet is of course aluminium and you would be surprised how floppy (to use a technical term) it is before the outer and inner skins are bonded together.

Still, if you go for a replacement bonnet - did someone say £400, double at least to paint and fit, you could hang the original on a wall at home. Would make a great conversation piece at your next dinner party, a welcome change from house prices.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 18-10-2011 05:09pm by mark_n.)
18-10-2011 05:07pm
exigejoe

that what i wanted to do also. I wonder how much it would cost for a coupe hood. Maybe it would be cheaper if i had a body shop do it and just buy the vents; idk!?!?!

Lotus Exige (aspen white) with VF supercharger kit, 413hp, 366lb/ft
Range Rover Evoque in fuji white and almond/espresso interior
2013 Audi A7 3.0T supercharged
18-10-2011 05:11pm
mark_n

It would be a brave body shop who would go about cutting the holes in the bonnet - double skinned remember - and them make good the paintwork so that the vents click into place like they are meant to.

Mark

18-10-2011 05:18pm
exigejoe

their are some good auto body shops here and when i look under the hood their seem to be an outline of where the vent would be, so i dont think placement would be an issue.

Lotus Exige (aspen white) with VF supercharger kit, 413hp, 366lb/ft
Range Rover Evoque in fuji white and almond/espresso interior
2013 Audi A7 3.0T supercharged
18-10-2011 05:21pm
Acwats

(18-10-2011 05:07pm)mark_n Wrote:  It's a real vent in that the hole goes all the way though but its function is mainly stylistic and may account for a little of the extra cost of the coupe, or maybe not. The coupe doesn't have rear doors obviously so they save on electric window winders, door locks and the rest but still manage to charge more. They are not the first manufacturer to charge more for a "decontented" (which term is in my Urban Dictionary but not my OED) car.

I'm not sure that you do save on the electric window motors Mark, I suggest that they have used these to power the seats on Pure coupes Laughing

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
18-10-2011 09:45pm
mark_n

Hah hah, they need bigger motors whatever they do!

Mark

18-10-2011 11:07pm
PhilSkill

I seem to remember in the LRX concept days the rear side glass was mentioned as very expensive to manufacture with the curved shape to the back, might be a reason for a bit of the extra cost, but whether that outweighs all the extra door and mechanisms, or if its just marketing wizardry gone mad, who can say!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-10-2011 11:35pm
mk82

I think, if the Coupe would be cheaper then the 5dr the prognosticated rates of a 50:50 proportion (3/5dr) would come true.

PURE 5dr SD4 Auto, Fuji - Almond/Espresso, rear cam, front-pdc, techp., navi, seatheating, xenon package without xenon

STUUUUNNNNNNNIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!! Thud
19-10-2011 08:28am