Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
My Audi would have been toast , but the Evoque lives ....
Jonathon555

My Audi would have been toast , but the Evoque lives ....

Was travelling an unlit country road on wednesday night dark moonless night, travelling at about 40 - 45mph

The road looked black and standing water was difficult to spot, but this was just normal for that road.

Entered a left hand bend & hit a flood about 30cm deep, water flowing between 2 fields. I just had time to pull full brakes on , the the stabilty system engaged as the car slid before hitting the fllood at about 30mph . Filthy muddy water covered the windscreen and side windows . The wipers come on auto and we drove slowly for the next 40m till we exited the flood. Passing 2 abandoned cars that were in the ditch at the side of the road.

If i had been in my last Audi Sline it would have injested water and probably killed it.

I have had a look under the bonnet of the Evoque today to see it covered in muddy spash marks but thats about it.

Thankfully the air intake is where it is protected

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 09:27pm by Jonathon555.)
02-12-2012 09:25pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: My Audi would have been toast , but the Evoque lives ....

Lucky you were in the Evoque, but then that's why we own one Smile

Also lucky it wasn't a deer, fallen tree, person, escaped sheep/cows, broken down car or many of the other things that appear suddenly around dark country corners unexpectedly... but more often that you may think!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-12-2012 10:39pm
rhysadams

Where we live the river broke its banks and the Evoque was brilliant! Bit scary taking a £45k car through over a foot of water but it still lives!

Arrived!!!: Range Rover Evoque SD4 Auto Dynamic Lux plus Privacy Glass and Premium Mats. Firenze Red, Black Roof and Style 6 Alloys, Dealer painted Black! DELIVERED: 14th September 2012 by Farnells Bradford.
02-12-2012 10:39pm
ED209

It may be a controversial view but driving at a speed that suits the conditions and from which you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear might be safer than relying on your car to keep you safe and out of trouble?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
03-12-2012 01:52pm
WB
WB

(03-12-2012 01:52pm)ED209 Wrote:  It may be a controversial view but driving at a speed that suits the conditions and from which you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear might be safer than relying on your car to keep you safe and out of trouble?

I couldn't agree more but have you not seen the spoiler on jonathon555's avatar?
03-12-2012 02:32pm
Sarcastrix

Speed doesn't kill. It's speed in the wrong hands, or inappropriate speed that kills (and i'm pretty sure the OP add everything under control).

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 02:50pm by Sarcastrix.)
03-12-2012 02:50pm
ED209

(03-12-2012 02:50pm)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Speed doesn't kill. It's speed in the wrong hands, or inappropriate speed that kills (and i'm pretty sure the OP add everything under control).

I would argue he didnt if he hit deep standing water at 40-45mph. Sounds to me like his speed was inappropriate for the conditions and he was unable to see the hazard and stop in time to avoid it.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
03-12-2012 03:31pm
speary

(03-12-2012 03:31pm)ED209 Wrote:  I would argue he didnt if he hit deep standing water at 40-45mph. Sounds to me like his speed was inappropriate for the conditions and he was unable to see the hazard and stop in time to avoid it.

ED209. I couldnt agree more with your observations on this matter
(03-12-2012 02:50pm)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Speed doesn't kill. It's speed in the wrong hands, or inappropriate speed that kills (and i'm pretty sure the OP add everything under control).

Obviously he didnt have anything under control or he wouldnt have got a dousing

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 05:42pm by speary.)
03-12-2012 05:41pm
Jonathon555

Even if I had been going 20 mph , I would have still drove into the flood. The light that the Evoque puts on the floor from the headlights just get's absorbed by the wet road badly.

The road was black, the flood water was black untill you have come across that exact situation (which I have not come across in the last 900,000 miles of driving) it's s hard one to avoid.

So Some council flood signs may have helped, 99% of other scenarious could & would have been avoided but a dissappearing road is a new one for me.

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
03-12-2012 05:57pm
Biker

Speed doesn't kill. It is the sudden lack of it that causes injury/death Wink

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
04-12-2012 06:57am