Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Mud Flap Fitting Instructions
Tom C

RE: Mud Flap Fitting Instructions

Yesterday I installed the front mudflaps on my Evoque Pure. A bit of a frustrating experience since it has a couple of extra steps from the Dynamic mud flaps. Would it kill them to actually write a narrative with the instructions? It came with two packets one with some adhesive wipes and another with an alcohol wipe (I didn't realize that at the time). The packets look exactly the same...so when I opened the first one it was the alcohol wipe. The front mudflaps have an adhesive strip already attached. So when I saw the alcohol wipe, it made sense to wipe down the area on the mudflap that was going to touch the other trim piece. I thought they gave two alcohol wipes...just as they gave two of every piece to do the pair of mudflaps. So when I went to do the second mudflap I realized that the second packet was actually an adhesive wipe. So now the second one fits flush because of the adhesive. It was really cold outside yesterday (28 deg F). After reading the packet closely, you shouldn't use the adhesive below 17 deg C. I may throw some crazy glue on the one that doesn't have adhesive when the weather warms up a bit.

I also have the rear mudflaps, but there is no room to work with and will have to remove the wheel. I think I may bite the bullet on the rears and have the dealership do it for the $125 they quoted.

Tom

'12 RR Evoque: Fuji White, Espresso and Almond
'09 Nissan GT-R
13-02-2012 04:20pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Millotte

I just fitted the rear mud flaps and they are a little easier than the front. If you use a small ratchet with a screwdriver bit you don't need to take off the wheels. You will need to drill 3 holes, 2 in the outside of the rear bumper and 1 underneath.

Prestige Td4 man, fuji, vibe interior, style 6 wheels, prestege tech pack.. Arived 11Th feb 2012
19-02-2012 10:54am
Tom C

Well I took it to Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover in Tysons Corner, VA to install the rear mud flaps today (their service department was open on a Sunday). Unbelievably, they installed the mud flaps for FREE!!! They said that it was really easy to install and washed the car as well. I didn't buy my Evoque there...but I think they will be my service center of choice from now on!

Tom

'12 RR Evoque: Fuji White, Espresso and Almond
'09 Nissan GT-R
(This post was last modified: 19-02-2012 08:07pm by Tom C.)
19-02-2012 08:07pm
jrinns

Anyone elses small metal binding clip / bracket on the front Rusting , jesus christ dosn't someone know how to cover metal so it dosnt rust. Look's crap on a new car and shouldnt take 20 minutes to spray up but I really shouldnt have to , should I?
20-03-2012 10:07am
MrNoo

Yesterday I fitted front mud flaps to my 3 week old Prestige, and it really can be made much easier than the fitting instructions suggest. The first one took me about 45 minutes but I did the second one in about 10 minutes.
In the fitting instructions it says you need to cut the wheel arch liner but I found this really wasn’t necessary – it might make it a little easier to put the nut (F) on to the bolt ( C) in steps 14 and 15 but all the hassle of moving and cutting the wheel arch liner isn’t worth it. I followed the fitting instruction up to and including step 4 but I did not carry out steps 5, 6, 7 and 8 which all relate to moving and cutting the wheel arch liner.
In step 3, I marked the position of the hole with a bradawl rather than a pen/pencil as it gave a better starting point (or key) for drilling rather than just a pen/pencil mark on the plastic.
In step 9 I drilled a 7mm hole and not 8mm as suggested (with a hand drill and not a power drill so that I did it gently and slowly) but didn’t move the wheel arch liner as suggested.
As I hadn’t moved the wheel arch liner I didn’t need to put it back as stated in step 10. I then did steps 11 through to 16 and again because I hadn’t done step 6 (removing the nut) I didn’t need to do step 17 (replacing the nut).
In step 14 I found that with a little patience I could fit the nut F onto the bolt C by getting my fingers into the area where the nut goes from underneath. I put the nut above the hole and then pushed the bolt up through the hole and tightened the bolt whilst holding the nut with my fingers to prevent it spinning round with the bolt. Similarly I held the nut with my fingers whilst tightening with the bolt with Torx screwdriver in step 15.
Other useful tips would be, when fitting the left hand mud flap put the front wheels on full left lock and vice versa for the right hand mud flap. Before starting to fit the mud flaps I also drove the front wheels onto some ramps to give me a little more room under the car for drilling the hole in step 9 and fitting the nut and bolt in step 14 and 15. The weather was also sunny meaning the ground was dry for working (lying) on and the light was good.

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
26-03-2012 03:23pm
Donny Dog

(20-03-2012 10:07am)jrinns Wrote:  Anyone elses small metal binding clip / bracket on the front Rusting , jesus christ dosn't someone know how to cover metal so it dosnt rust. Look's crap on a new car and shouldnt take 20 minutes to spray up but I really shouldnt have to , should I?

Yes, both sides, almost immediately! Twisted Evil

(26-03-2012 03:23pm)MrNoo Wrote:  Yesterday I fitted front mud flaps to my 3 week old Prestige, and it really can be made much easier than the fitting instructions suggest. The first one took me about 45 minutes but I did the second one in about 10 minutes.
In the fitting instructions it says you need to cut the wheel arch liner but I found this really wasn’t necessary – it might make it a little easier to put the nut (F) on to the bolt ( C) in steps 14 and 15 but all the hassle of moving and cutting the wheel arch liner isn’t worth it. I followed the fitting instruction up to and including step 4 but I did not carry out steps 5, 6, 7 and 8 which all relate to moving and cutting the wheel arch liner.
In step 3, I marked the position of the hole with a bradawl rather than a pen/pencil as it gave a better starting point (or key) for drilling rather than just a pen/pencil mark on the plastic.
In step 9 I drilled a 7mm hole and not 8mm as suggested (with a hand drill and not a power drill so that I did it gently and slowly) but didn’t move the wheel arch liner as suggested.
As I hadn’t moved the wheel arch liner I didn’t need to put it back as stated in step 10. I then did steps 11 through to 16 and again because I hadn’t done step 6 (removing the nut) I didn’t need to do step 17 (replacing the nut).
In step 14 I found that with a little patience I could fit the nut F onto the bolt C by getting my fingers into the area where the nut goes from underneath. I put the nut above the hole and then pushed the bolt up through the hole and tightened the bolt whilst holding the nut with my fingers to prevent it spinning round with the bolt. Similarly I held the nut with my fingers whilst tightening with the bolt with Torx screwdriver in step 15.
Other useful tips would be, when fitting the left hand mud flap put the front wheels on full left lock and vice versa for the right hand mud flap. Before starting to fit the mud flaps I also drove the front wheels onto some ramps to give me a little more room under the car for drilling the hole in step 9 and fitting the nut and bolt in step 14 and 15. The weather was also sunny meaning the ground was dry for working (lying) on and the light was good.

I did mine the same way, largely because the wheel-arch liner wouldn't move as suggested by the instructions even after removing the indicated screw and nut (the upper stud prevented any movement, at least on mine). However, although I manged from underneath, I found it quite tricky to place the nut on the inside, and I wouldn't recommend this method to anyone who isn't fairly nimble and dexterous! (I haven't got a ramp, having said that).
(This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 08:47pm by Donny Dog.)
26-03-2012 08:42pm
lesdon499

I have managed to fit mud flaps to the front of my dynamic. Anyone seen a video upload of a rear fitting?

cheers

Les

Dynamic SD4 unbadged
Fuji White
Style 6 wheels
Panoramic roof
MassiveVery Happy
27-03-2012 09:02pm
Griff449

Can Freelander 2 mudflaps fit ? If so I will take the ones off my freelander and fit to one

Had a Pure TD4, Fuji White - now have Dynamic SD4, Fuji White 9 Speed auto with Verve Interior - let the new project begin!
09-04-2012 05:10pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

Very doubtful

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
09-04-2012 05:11pm
Donny Dog

(09-04-2012 05:10pm)Griff449 Wrote:  Can Freelander 2 mudflaps fit ? If so I will take the ones off my freelander and fit to one

No, the Evoque mud flaps are very specific and tailored, including relying on some existing bolt holes.
09-04-2012 05:14pm