Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MarkA_'s Order is in
MarkA_

MarkA_'s Order is in

Update: Order has now been placed!

Hi all,

I have a test drive booked in an Si4 for monday week and deposit down on an RS on the off chance it's going to be available in the timeframe I need, so it's about time to start seriously thinking. I thought the best place to start was asking a coupe of questions. Spec wise I know there is likely to be alternate/restricted colors and options on any RS model but i'm staying hopeful for now.

Question 1: TPMS - does this mean RFTs?
I was going to go with the 20" Style 8's, and this adds TPMS - does this mean the 20's come with RFTs?

Question 2: Which leather is more durable?
I come from a BMW 1er and with Boston Lemon leather and it's been really good. Other than the colour transfer you're going to get with light leather, there is little to no sagging after 5yrs and 20k. Which is better with regards to durability, standard or oxford leather?

Question 3: Does the spare tyre come at the cost of boot space?

Question 4: The Engine
Assuming I end up in an Si4 dynamic, not an RS, I'm a bit concerned about having a plain old ford engine in what is a premium car is going to be disappointing compared to the lovely BMW engine I have been used to. Should I be concerned or is this just some snobbishness coming out?

Question 5: Anything in particular I should be trying out on the test drive?
Is there anything polarising that I really should try out before committing to an order?

Thanks all,

Mark
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 12:16pm by MarkA_.)
07-11-2013 07:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Some pre-order questions

1 - tpms just displays a message when pressure drops - no rft's

3 - yes, sort of - i have storage in the 'basement' (ie under the board) of my boot where the tyre+surround would be

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
07-11-2013 07:46pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Q4 - nowt wrong with Ford's engines - the Evoque's 2.0Ltr is the same one as in their high performance Focuses and you don't read too many complaints about it or hear of failures. They have a few more million of them on the road than BMW's engines. I think you are being a bit of a badge snob as you say! Most of LR's engines have Ford input in them (as do the cars!) and to hurt your badge snobery even more they are also Ford/ Peugeot/Citroen engines but hopefully next year they will all be Jaguar Land Rover's own designs with no other maker's input.

What to look out for on a test drive - make sure the Si4 you test is a 2014MY car as the transmission is totally different to pre 2014MY - the drive to the rear wheels automatically disengages above 22mph,, it has a 9 speed transmission and (I believe this makes a huge difference to road holding) there is a new torque vectoring system that sharpens up the handling even more. The pre 2014MY cars won't have these changes. The Active drive isn't (yet) available for the SD4, but the torque vectoring and 9 speed automatic are.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 08:17pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-11-2013 08:08pm
MarkA_

(07-11-2013 08:08pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  ...the Evoque's 2.0Ltr is the same one as in their high performance Focuses...

I'd love to have had that 5cyl focus (volvo) engine from a few years ago as an option it was quite a nice unit.

(07-11-2013 08:08pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  What to look out for on a test drive - make sure the Si4 you test is a 2014MY car as the transmission is totally different to pre 2014MY - the drive to the rear wheels automatically disengages above 22mph,, it has a 9 speed transmission and (I believe this makes a huge difference to road holding) there is a new torque vectoring system that sharpens up the handling even more. The pre 2014MY cars won't have these changes. The Active drive isn't (yet) available for the SD4, but the torque vectoring and 9 speed automatic are.

I have been told it's unlikely they will have any MY14s available at that time, which is unforunate. Hopefully that changes. If there is a diesel 9spd it would probably be worth a run even though i'm not after a diesel.

(07-11-2013 07:46pm)cjfp Wrote:  3 - yes, sort of - i have storage in the 'basement' (ie under the board) of my boot where the tyre+surround would be

Aha okay that makes sense. My 1er has the battery under there in the boot so not used to having that basement storage. I'll have to take a look under there when doing the test drive.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 08:45pm by MarkA_.)
07-11-2013 08:44pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The "basement" on cars with no spare has a large polystrene moulding in it that can take the tyre inflating gunk and the LR compressor as well as having some useful cutouts for other things - I keep another faster compressor, set of waterproofs, hi-vis jacket, 0.5ltr lub pack free from Castrol at the first service, thermal blanket, warning triangle and a big first aid box under the floor

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 09:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-11-2013 09:21pm
Jeroma

On long trips the spare wheel offered on the Evoque is in my view more or less useless, so if possible I would advise people to take along a normal wheel. I you got a set of winter tyres it should solve the problem.

I actually drive a Koleos with the same rubbish spare wheel, but for long trips I embark a snow tyre. Last year
I drove home on sunday afternoon from Le Mans Classic and had a dramatic tyre failure induced by a bit of alloy wheel rim, 5 cm long puncture.blow out in 5 seconds, no fluid will cope with that.Confused

On a sunday afternoon there is no way to repair or buy a new tyre, so I limped home, 500 miles on the spare wheel, same size as the Evoque's. For sure it might not be legal. but I did not fancy to pass the night in the middle of nowhere.

In general removing the moulding should allow to store a normal, or at least larger wheel that should permit to cruise at higher speed.Smile

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
08-11-2013 04:53pm
MarkA_

Speccing Up

I did a test drive in Hadley Green's Sicilian Yellow MY13 Dynamic on Monday, and specced up an MY14 Dynamic with Anthony. I test drove an X3 this morning and I was surprised at how good it was. The specced up X3 xDrive 35d comes in within a few hundred quid of the Dynamic.

Anyway - Decision time but no decisions made yet, however on reflection of my Monday spec I have decided on some alterations to that spec. The spec I have settled on is as follows: I'd appreciate any sage advice/wisdom from the long timers to confirm I am not making any mistakes before getting an updated quote.

Dynamic Si4 4Dr
Mauritius Blue
SB Contrast Roof
Premium Interior Pack
Velocity w/ Standard Seats
Gloss Black Strata trim
Black Pack
Intelligence Pack
Powered Tailgate
Privacy Glass
Spare Wheel
Incontrol Remote + Security
Service Pack

Things I dropped from the original spec on Monday
825w Meridian
Aeroflip
22-11-2013 01:35pm
PhilSkill

RE: MarkA_'s Speccing up

Well i'm still looking at MY13 specs but I'd add the Pano Roof and remove the Privacy Glass, and add the Aeroflip, i'd also spec the Auto Dimming Headlights, but then I'd also choose Firenze.

A lot of black in that interior, Velocity, Gloss trim, Ebony Headlining.

Personally i'd not bother with the Premium interior and choose Ebony over Velocity... I like the perforated seat finish and it's £2500+ less and just spec the Ebony headlining, but you cant adjust the height of the passenger seat!?. Or why not choose the sports seats at the same price and the premium?

But the fun is in choosing what you like Very Happy

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-11-2013 03:10pm
sco77harris

RE: MarkA_'s Speccing up

I actually read somewhere recently, that the Land Rover engines are least prone to failure out of all large brands including BMW's.

My dad has had head gasket and engine failures resulting in replacement on several of his BMW's.
22-11-2013 03:30pm
MarkA_

MarkA_'s Speccing up

(22-11-2013 03:10pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Well i'm still looking at MY13 specs but I'd add the Pano Roof and remove the Privacy Glass, and add the Aeroflip, i'd also spec the Auto Dimming Headlights, but then I'd also choose Firenze.

A lot of black in that interior, Velocity, Gloss trim, Ebony Headlining.

Personally i'd not bother with the Premium interior and choose Ebony over Velocity... I like the perforated seat finish and it's £2500+ less and just spec the Ebony headlining, but you cant adjust the height of the passenger seat!?. Or why not choose the sports seats at the same price and the premium?

But the fun is in choosing what you like Very Happy

Intelligence pack has auto dimming headlights and rear vision mirror (correct me if I am wrong) along with the lane departure warning and speed sign recognition.

2014 premium interior pack has heated front and rear seats and cooled front seats which means you get the nicer leather with the perforated look.

Didn't like the sports seats in the one we test drove.

Don't see point of pano roof you don't get the benefit of it from the drivers seat and don't really care about giving passengers in the back a crook neck by having them constantly looking out of it Wink

Want privacy glass for LBOJ arriving in March.

My only should I/ shouldn't I decision I am at pains with is the 825w meridian. I am no audiophile but I like my music. The standard 380w sounded ok in the one we test drove.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 03:42pm by MarkA_.)
22-11-2013 03:40pm