Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Manual gearbox
1stRangie

RE: Manual gearbox

(21-01-2013 09:52pm)broady43 Wrote:  Hi,does anyone know if the Evoque gearbox is the same as the Freelander.When I first got the Evoque I posted that I was having problems with 5th gear,there isn't a gate for it to go into.I thought it was normal in the end until I drove a Freelander today which has a gate for 5th gear,the gear box is so much better than the Evoques which brings me to believe there is something wrong with my gearbox.
Has anyone else got a problem with 5th gear?
I would suspect that, as already mentioned, there is a problem with your gearbox. We delayed ordering an Evoque until we could test drive a manual one. Other than a very slightly notchy shift from first to second all other changes are very smooth and 'unmissable'. Had the gearbox been as bad as you describe we wouldn't have ordered!

MY2016 Dynamic HSE four door, Yulong White and a few selected additions. Gone but never forgotten; Dynamic SD4 Coupe, Fuji White...
21-01-2013 11:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

I had a problem with my manual, in that it was very stiff to shift into the 5th/6th plane. Eventually LR Manchester diagnosed a faulty linkage pin. This was replaced and all is ok now. Mine wasnt the first one they had with this problem.

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
22-01-2013 09:28am
keweller

It sounds to me like the lock to prevent you putting it into reverse is not working. This lock engages when you go above a certain speed (8km/h or something, I'm sure its in the manual) and its this that effectively provides the gate for 5th. if any manual onwer tries putting the car in fifth when stationary they will find it more difficult than usual as the reverse lock is not on and you have to find the gate somewhere between reverse and 3rd. So I would guess you have a bad electrical connection or a faulty solenoid.

If you can pull the lever all the way to the right when driving this is definitely the problem.

Hope this helps.
22-01-2013 09:39am
broady43

(22-01-2013 09:39am)keweller Wrote:  It sounds to me like the lock to prevent you putting it into reverse is not working. This lock engages when you go above a certain speed (8km/h or something, I'm sure its in the manual) and its this that effectively provides the gate for 5th. if any manual onwer tries putting the car in fifth when stationary they will find it more difficult than usual as the reverse lock is not on and you have to find the gate somewhere between reverse and 3rd. So I would guess you have a bad electrical connection or a faulty solenoid.

If you can pull the lever all the way to the right when driving this is definitely the problem.

Hope this helps

You are correct,I had a word with the dealer today and before I could ask him he told me there was a problem with my gearbox.I cannot believe I have been struggling with it for 9 months.
I complained about it when I got it new from Stratstones and they said it was me because it was a new car.Hatfields took over the dealership a month later,Stratstones obviously could not be bothered,anyway I have complained to customer sevices so I will see what happens.

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 07:28pm by cjfp.)
22-01-2013 07:25pm
Evo-king

1st to 2nd has always been an issue, quite notchy, but I can live with it.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
22-01-2013 09:24pm
Jonathon555

My gearbox seems spot on , if i ever grid a gear its 2nd

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
22-01-2013 09:33pm
tash

Mine has had the linkages oiled, replaced and now it's going back in a week for a new gearbox, 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd is terrible, really spoils the drive.

It's been like this since new and after 40k miles has got no better, the only thing that has got worse is the centre console which started to come loose as I was having to ram the gear into 2nd..yep that bad.

Delivery driver drove me home to take it back to dealer on Monday and agreed there was something not right...at least there is light at the end of the tunnel now.

Evoques also having a new alternator belt tensioner as belt squeals on start up and also having roof lining taken down to find a rattle above the passenger sun visor

Need to take the 'land' badges off as the last car I had which was this fragile was a Rover214si, egg shaped one.

Ed4 pure 5 door, Fuji, pan roof, tech pack, privacy, fog lights, style 6 wheels, ebony interior, delivery 22nd March
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 09:45pm by tash.)
09-04-2013 08:55pm
HICKY555

Was not happy with my manual. But I think it was the powerSD4 not the box.

Sad fuji SD4 Pure gone now on my 7th RRS Smile
15-11-2013 09:58am
BFGEvoqueMan

(21-01-2013 09:52pm)broady43 Wrote:  Hi,does anyone know if the Evoque gearbox is the same as the Freelander.When I first got the Evoque I posted that I was having problems with 5th gear,there isn't a gate for it to go into.I thought it was normal in the end until I drove a Freelander today which has a gate for 5th gear,the gear box is so much better than the Evoques which brings me to believe there is something wrong with my gearbox.
Has anyone else got a problem with 5th gear?

Gearbox is the same as the FL2, but I think they must have tweaked the linkages as it seems a much shorter shift than the FL2.

On my 1st RRE the gearbox was very slick from day 1, however, on my current car the gearbox was always a bit stiffer. For its first five months, the car had only done 6k km (mostly on the motorway), but is now in regular daily use since I handed back my company car ( Sad ). As a result it is now much, much slicker (especially when it went past 10k km). I am even able to change up now from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th without using the clutch if the mood takes me.

It's still not as slick as my 1st RRE but it is definitely getting there.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
15-11-2013 12:09pm
broady43

(15-11-2013 12:09pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Gearbox is the same as the FL2, but I think they must have tweaked the linkages as it seems a much shorter shift than the FL2.

On my 1st RRE the gearbox was very slick from day 1, however, on my current car the gearbox was always a bit stiffer. For its first five months, the car had only done 6k km (mostly on the motorway), but is now in regular daily use since I handed back my company car ( Sad ). As a result it is now much, much slicker (especially when it went past 10k km). I am even able to change up now from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th without using the clutch if the mood takes me.

It's still not as slick as my 1st RRE but it is definitely getting there.

Mine is fixed now,it was a plug that was not plugged in on a solenoid that works the gate between 5th 6th and reverse.It is silky smooth now.

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
16-11-2013 12:28pm