Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MagneRide
paulus599

MagneRide

There's an interesting article in this weeks Autocar regarding MagneRide. Apparently the company that supplies it (Chinese-owned BWI Group) were developing the Gen3 version of it but weren't expecting to start production until 2012. Land Rover told them 'if you can do them for 2011, you have a deal', so because of the size of the order they rushed them through.
Apparently they are a big improvement on the Gen2 version that's fitted to the likes of the Audi R8. They respond twice as fast and are the first to offer terrain sensing.

To be honest I didn't even consider them when I placed my order, now though, with all the articles saying how great they are, I'm coming to the conclusion that they are a 'must have' option.
Will probably add them to my spec. but it would be great if there were cars at the unleashed events with both options, just so we could do a direct comparison.

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
15-06-2011 04:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gorjan

RE: MagneRide

Acording to LR, they should be better than srandard shocks on boh exreemes - comfort and dynamics/road holding...

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
15-06-2011 05:32pm
mark_n

I agree, Magnaride is a must have option.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
07-08-2011 08:56pm
pimbrokken

i agree too
07-08-2011 11:47pm
mark_n

There's a write-up on this type of damping in either Car or Evo this month (sorry, cannot remember which). The same system is used in the Ferrari F599 Fiorano. In some models of the Porsche 911, the same system is used to stiffen the engine mounts when cornering to stop the engine wobbling about and upsetting the handling. It's clever stuff.

Mark

08-08-2011 09:39am
j7david

I wish they'd allow it on Pure orders. I'm willing to give LR another £1000ish to get the magnetic suspension, but not the £4000ish I'd have to pay to upgrade my order to a Prestige or Dynamic.
08-08-2011 06:41pm
alanet

A few magazines like Autocar and Car aren't rating Magneride that well. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't just a gadget. Unless you actually go offroading (where the dampers can soften the ride).

Anybody tried cars with and without magneride?
25-08-2011 06:10pm
mark_n

Without boring you with engineering stuff, the problem with fixed rate dampers is that they are necessarily compromised over the expected range of operating conditions - much broader potentially in this car - and having a continuously variable damping rate allows the performance of each corner to be optimised according to what the car is doing over a wide range of operating conditions.

The software will be trying to maintain as smooth a ride as possible and it may be that in extreme conditions, it loses the plot and the ride becomes worse, not better, with the car pitching and the damping unable to control it. It may be they are trying to be too ambitious with it and should be a little bit more conservative with the control they're applying.

They should certainly have access to the right people because Jaguar handling is said to be pretty good; I expect this is something which might get a software upgrade at some point.

Mark

25-08-2011 06:34pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One thing for sure, when one unit fails and your warranty has just run out it will cost the earth to replace at a Land Rover dealer because none of the Kwik Fit places will stock them...........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 06:38pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-08-2011 06:36pm
mark_n

Oh yes, the words "leaking damper" at an MOT will have people crying into their beer...

Mark

25-08-2011 06:38pm