Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Low drumming noise from rear at certain speeds - 4wd problem?
Martynk

Low drumming noise from rear at certain speeds - 4wd problem?

My Evoque is just coming to the end of its warranty, and I have started to get a low 'drumming' noise from the rear, particularly noisy around 2-3k revs, and when decelerating. Took it into the garage and they think it may be an issue with the 4 WD, so want it for around 3 days. Anyone else had anything like this? Given the warranty expires soon (where does 3 years go) I my extend it for another year, although apart from some services there has been no problems at all, so it's a shame to get this on the final month!

Thanks
11-11-2014 10:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Low drumming noise from rear at certain speeds - 4wd problem?

Yes, I'm being deluged with paper from LR and the dealer about extending the warranty though I will be moving the car on as soon as LR can be bothered to make me an SVR. My problem is the car needs its third year service and two new tyres, call it £1000 and a likely dismal p/ex. If I was keeping it, it would be tough to know whether to go with the extended warranty. It's done 28000 miles.

As for your drumming noise, find a safe place to do it but see how the car behaves in neutral to try and separate engine from transmission. Do you get it when the engine is doing 2-3k revs in neutral or only when the engine is driving the car? What happens when the car is coasting in neutral at the same speed?

Anyway, good the dealer has been alerted to the problem before the warranty runs out. How many miles have you done?

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 03:44am by mark_n.)
12-11-2014 03:42am
Martynk

Hi Mark

I have done around 32k miles - yes I did that, put the car in neutral and the noise is there regardless of the engine speed. Reminds me of a diff or axle noise.

I am in two minds wether to kept the evoque, I think there is an option to pay monthly on the warranty so might do that until I sell or p ex it. Been a great car for me, but time to change, although not found anything as yet. Would like a RR Sport, but put off a bit by the cost and lead times, so might leave it a year or so when supply gets more plentiful.

Just done my third service which was about 370 and yes you are right the tyres will need replacing soon.

Thanks
12-11-2014 08:51am
mighTTy-RRE

Assuming on the original tyres and they are now getting towards the end of their life, the drumming noise could well be tyre noise.
12-11-2014 09:06am
PhilSkill

Agreed, the tyres can cause drumming especially if there's any uneven wear, I always know when our Volvo want's new tyres as it tells me with this beating dr,dr,dr,dr,dr,drum...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-11-2014 11:12am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It can also be a sign that there is a problem with the Viscous Coupling - it maybe that the fluid needs changing. This problem causes what Land Rover calls "turreting" on the rear tyres. It was a well known issue with Freelander1 but I thought that Land Rover had cured the problem. Might be worth taking a look over on the Freelander2 forum http://www.freel2.com to see if there are any reports on there. Another way to check for it is to go to a large openair car park and drive in a circle on full lock, if the rear wheels "jump" as you go round then it's the VCU, drive round in both directions, it causes the rear wheels to lock up momentarily.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 11:46am by XFullFatTim.)
12-11-2014 11:43am
rchrdleigh

Unlikely to be a problem with the viscous coupling as the RR Evoque has an Electronic Centre Coupling or Haldex Unit. Unlike the viscous coupling in a Freelander 1 the Haldex unit on Feeelander 2 is not prone to 'tureting'on the rear . A look at Freel2.com will reveal a number of threads relating to humming from the rear of the vehicle and in no particular order it can be caused by:

Tyres wearing down to near the legal limit.
Wheel bearings
Rear Differential Pinion Bearing.

My money would be on the latter and if still under warranty get it checked by a LR Dealer, if caught early it's a low level repair if left too long it may require a new rear differential and/or Electronic Centre Coupling (or Haldex unit)
12-11-2014 03:51pm
Davewhittle

(11-11-2014 10:01pm)Martynk Wrote:  My Evoque is just coming to the end of its warranty, and I have started to get a low 'drumming' noise from the rear, particularly noisy around 2-3k revs, and when decelerating. Took it into the garage and they think it may be an issue with the 4 WD, so want it for around 3 days. Anyone else had anything like this? Given the warranty expires soon (where does 3 years go) I my extend it for another year, although apart from some services there has been no problems at all, so it's a shame to get this on the final month!

Thanks
A long time ago but did anyone discover the problem.
Is it same problem as L551 of 2020.(exhaust baffle resonance)
24-03-2021 12:05am