Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Locking fuel door ...not really?
HotLap

All, my OM states that the fuel door locks when the vehicle is locked...not true as it opens on the 2nd press...same for you? Granted it generally opens on the 1st press when unlocked, but still opening on two presses is not locked....

2015 Evoque Prestige in Santorini Black with Ivory/Espresso interior
14-04-2015 07:19pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mstraka

RE: Locking fuel door ...not really?

Same with my U.S. spec 2013 Evoque. I guess that since the Evoque has an anti-siiphon feature, Land Rover felt there was no need for anything more secure. This is very short sighted. This doesn't stop vandalism where someone can pour what they want into your gas tank. A malcontent who I unfortunately know and who has a 'I'm going to get even with the world' attitude brags about a concoction he can make in his kitchen sink and pour into anyones' gas tank so that a sharp impact like a pot hole will blow up the car. Sure he's crazy, and he won't blow your car up, but this is the kind of vandalism I'm referring to that a locking gas cap would protect against. I tried but couldn't find anyone who makes a locking gas cap for the Evoque.
15-04-2015 01:25pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Surely gas is so cheap in the USA nobody steals it out of you tank? Over here you almost need a bank loan to fill up a tank and the locking works fine on my RRS as it also did on my last Evoque. I wonder if it is a market specific thing that the DoT in the USA says you must not have?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-04-2015 02:36pm
HotLap

(15-04-2015 02:36pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Surely gas is so cheap in the USA nobody steals it out of you tank? Over here you almost need a bank loan to fill up a tank and the locking works fine on my RRS as it also did on my last Evoque. I wonder if it is a market specific thing that the DoT in the USA says you must not have?

Tim, I don't think so as most all my other cars have had a locking gas cap that wont open until you release the inside lever in the car...my 991 C2S has a locking fuel door that won't open when the car is locked - even with the top in the lowered position..

Now that I think of it the Evoque doesn't have an inside fuel door release does it? Just ran and checked. it does not. Not sure why the OM states that the fuel door is locked when the vehicle is locked...especially since there appears no cable release runs to it?

15-04-2015 10:06pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The fuel filler door/ flap is locked with the central locking, if you have keyless entry it will unlock if you stand close to the car too so make sure that when you are testing the locking that if you have keyless entry that you leave the fob at least 15 ft from the car, more if possible and with the car locked try pressing the filler flap again. It isn't unknown for the fuse for the operating solenoid to blow or the solendoid to burn out.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-04-2015 07:58am
HotLap

(16-04-2015 07:58am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The fuel filler door/ flap is locked with the central locking, if you have keyless entry it will unlock if you stand close to the car too so make sure that when you are testing the locking that if you have keyless entry that you leave the fob at least 15 ft from the car, more if possible and with the car locked try pressing the filler flap again. It isn't unknown for the fuse for the operating solenoid to blow or the solendoid to burn out.

Good point Tim, I'll make sure the passive entry key is far away...although wouldn't the passive key unlock the vehicle not just the fuel door...perhaps not, as you have to press the button on the respective door handle to unlock the doors and since there is no button on the fuel door to press it may indeed be sensing the key and auto unlocking just the fuel door and not the entire vehicle. I'll give this a try this evening, thx! Sort of like my 991 C2S has a sensor in the nose that if you have the passive key in pocket and hold your hand above the nose it will auto unlock just the nose (bonnet/hood/Frunk)...

16-04-2015 07:37pm
ChuckieB

Proximity of the key will make no difference. The flap should only unlock with the doorlocks. As Tim says there has been a known fault with actuators failing and blowing fuses. In my case the flap remained firmly locked!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
16-04-2015 09:56pm
HotLap

(16-04-2015 09:56pm)ChuckieB Wrote:  Proximity of the key will make no difference. The flap should only unlock with the doorlocks. As Tim says there has been a known fault with actuators failing and blowing fuses. In my case the flap remained firmly locked!

Good info ChuckieB, I guess I'm going to leave well enough alone as at least it opens nowSmile

17-04-2015 09:10pm
HotLap

Problem solved, I just checked and there is nothing where the solenoid should be where it would come out and pass through the hole in the flange on the fuel filler door...just an empty hole, bean counters must have "de-contented" this for 2015...can others with a 2015 model year confirm this? Mine is a Prestige so you would think it would come with the locking fuel filler door...

TIASmile

23-04-2015 11:51pm
Stadt Panzer

Mine works fine. Locked when it should be and opens when it should.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
24-04-2015 11:54am