Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
L405 test drives
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: L405 test drives

TR2 is the auto setting - the LRE instructors wanted us to use TR in the manual mode in Grass Gravel and Snow
As you have owned a Disco4 you will be familiar with the extra functions that the air suspended cars have anyway. While we were on the LRE Dunkeld trails we did find that the car we were in seemed to lower itself to access mode whenever were stopped and had TR2 Auto mode switched on - twice the guy who was driving forgot to raise the car to offroad height when he pulled away resulting in some unpleasant noises under the car, strangely it didn't raise itself after detecting a bottoming out situation. When he switched back to manual selection the car stayed up at offroad height. All the cars at the LRE were riding on standard OEM 19" alloys and standard tyres.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-12-2012 10:23am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

Interesting stuff Tim! I've seen 3 now around London over the past two weekends around the Holland Park/Shepherds Bush area so I imagine they're on the London equivalent events. Not sure what happened to my invite!!

Interesting to hear that the wing mirrors are smaller as I thought they'd lifter the Evoque mirrors and it does re-raise the question of why the Evoques have to be so big - surely the L405 has a bigger frontal area?
04-12-2012 10:51am
benzina

(04-12-2012 10:51am)WB Wrote:  Interesting to hear that the wing mirrors are smaller as I thought they'd lifter the Evoque mirrors and it does re-raise the question of why the Evoques have to be so big - surely the L405 has a bigger frontal area?

While they look very similar in style,the differences in dimensions are actually NOT much at all.
My dealership has a L405 on display this week, and while i was checking it out, i got my tape measure onto the mirror shell, and noted the 3 widest points for a comparison with the Evoques.

These are general approx figures, give or take a few mm's.

Face shell width
Evoque - 23cm
L405 - 22cm
Face shell height
L405 - 18CM
Evoque - 17cm
Shell Depth
Evoque - 17cm
L405 - 15cm

Summary of mirror dimension comparison
In real world use,it's the two Face dimensions that count when comparing size, and in this comparison, they basically cancel themselves out for size....The Evoque is wider by 1cm, but the L405 it taller by 1cm. As the L405 mirror shell has the shorter depth, it is smaller overall,but not by much.
Amazing how much lower L405's waist line and mirror sits , compared to the high waisted Evoque.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 12:27am by benzina.)
07-12-2012 06:45am
leveller

Love the update on these cars, thanks for that.

However, very disappointed to see LR have kept the crap satnav. Sad

(added) Actually, I may have jumped-the-gun. Did you see any major software enhancements? I utterly detest the whole media centre + satnav etc in my Evoque.

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
(This post was last modified: 18-01-2013 02:01pm by leveller.)
18-01-2013 01:59pm
Westy

Sat in one at my local dealer whilst I waiting for my car Bluetooth to be checked.

Beautiful car, the showroom car had a mode where it was plugged into 240v under neath the car and the daytime lights and interior features were live.

I sat in and behind the wheel, really nice.

Also opened the electric rear tailgate, noticed under the bootfloor a full size alloy spare wheel and jack, brace etc.

Then I found the towbar switch section. After some beeping a towbar appeared from behind the bumper, a proper forged bar. Some more safety beeping and it was gone.

Just need to change the company car policy and multiply it three times, I'll have to keep dreaming.

All the body lines looked great and interior build quality looked great. It felt like a well made mature daddy evoque.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
18-01-2013 08:17pm