Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoques to be built in China.
Evo-king

Evoques to be built in China.

Just been reported on Central News at 6PM.

Jaguar Land Rover confirms deal with China

Jaguar Land Rover will soon start building cars in China to meet demand in its fastest-growing market. The company sold more than fifty thousand cars there this year, but heavy importation taxes make them expensive.

Soon, 100,000 cars will roll off the production line in China, but Jaguar Land Rover has always stressed this is to meet extra demand and production will not be shifted from its factories in the Midlands.

In a statement today JLR confirmed the partnership with China:

"Jaguar Land Rover and Chery Automobile Company Ltd can confirm that the joint venture project application has been cleared by the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).

"Both Jaguar Land Rover and Chery welcome regulatory clearance for the equal partnership company and will confirm details of its ambitious plan for the joint venture in China at a press conference, after receipt of formal written confirmation.

"We will now follow the official process for incorporation of the JV; neither party is in a position to disclose any additional information or financial terms at this time."

– Jaguar Land Rover and Chery Automobile Company Ltd

Just found this.

Jaguar Land Rover is to start building cars in China as soon as 2014.

The Chinese government has given approval for the car firm to begin a joint venture with Chery Automobile in China.

Under the agreement Jaguar Land Rover will build 30,000 Jaguars, 43,000 Range Rover Evoques and 34,000 Freelanders.

At the moment Jaguars are built at the firm's factory in Castle Bromwich in Birmingham. The Evoque and the Freelander is built at Halewood in Merseyside.

Jaguar Land Rover has consistently said that any plans to build cars abroad would be to meet extra demand.

Today Des Quinn from the union Unite said they welcomed joint venture because it expands the company and will increase profits but there is a note of caution. The union would be concerned if there was any reduction in production in the UK.

It's thought any redesigns required for the Chinese models will be done at the UK.

The production of more cars in China is also beneficial to car parts makers in the Midlands. Sertec supplies parts to Jaguar Land Rover - including parts of the Evoque. According to the managing director, Grant Adams they will begin shipping parts out to China.

Great News for UK jobs. The full news report showed components suppliers, in particular the Evoque.

Apologies for the long post.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 07:19pm by Evo-king.)
01-11-2012 07:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

RE: Evoques to be built in China.

Isn't Chery that manufacturer with dreadfull crash test results?

I guess JLR will only be the latest as many manufacturers do the same SIAC own MG & ship them in Kits to be finished in Longridge due to cost & SIAC have shares in loads of companies, VW being one that I can think of & I think FIAT too.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
01-11-2012 10:08pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THEMACS

Hope it isn't a sly move to shift stuff that could be built here and Further boost our convoy, I for one am not convinced this is good news! Further evidence o f our expertise being taken away and done somewhere else cheaper and much less quality, I for one won't buy another one unless its built in the UK!!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 10:13pm by THEMACS.)
01-11-2012 10:12pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

They are doing it as there are huge, really really huge import taxes on imported cars in China, that is why all the other makers do it, also you cannot set up your own factory there it has to be in partnership with a local company who basically makes them under licence. Have no fear you won't be seeing them imported into the UK, there will not be enough production capacity to satisfy local demand and it frees up space at Halewood and Solihull to make them for the rest of the world. Chery were the company that made terrible passtiches of Rover cars and are they not now the owner of Volvo or is that Geely

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-11-2012 10:42pm
NightFox

Interesting, LR's struggle to meet demand isn't just down to factory capacity, it's also down to its component suppliers. Not sure if they'll also be able (or even want) to scale up to meet the demand of Chinese production, or are we also going to see a secondary supply chain in China? And would that mean when demand eventually drops, the Chinese suppliers will then compete with the existing suppliers to meet the demand in the UK factories?

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
02-11-2012 12:16am
tripletreiber

(02-11-2012 12:16am)NightFox Wrote:  Interesting, LR's struggle to meet demand isn't just down to factory capacity, it's also down to its component suppliers. Not sure if they'll also be able (or even want) to scale up to meet the demand of Chinese production, or are we also going to see a secondary supply chain in China? And would that mean when demand eventually drops, the Chinese suppliers will then compete with the existing suppliers to meet the demand in the UK factories?

yes they will, learning how to.. and make it cheaper and of course badly... the old chinese industry story (of the last 15 years i think).
High taxes on importing goods to china let the manufacturers think about a plant in china... thats what chinese want...the knowing how to do it . a little bit dangerous. i can´t remember a product that´s better than befor..only cheaper and sometimes ...sry... piece of s...

But LR can´t ignore the chinese market.. so they have to do this..... Buisness makes the world go round Rolling Eyes

[Image: 536437_41.png] Shocked
02-11-2012 05:53am
XFullFatTim

It isn't just China - the other emerging markets that have very similar high taxes are India and Pakistan. We already know that India market cars are to be built in India from crated up car components shipped out to the factory from the UK. Roll on, it will keep me in work shipping the units out to India and China!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-11-2012 09:54am
The Valeter

(01-11-2012 10:42pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Chery were the company that made terrible passtiches of Rover cars and are they not now the owner of Volvo or is that Geely

Ahh yes I think they did/or even still do a version of a Maestro with the Montego front end (Monstro lol).
(02-11-2012 09:54am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It isn't just China - the other emerging markets that have very similar high taxes are India and Pakistan. We already know that India market cars are to be built in India from crated up car components shipped out to the factory from the UK. Roll on, it will keep me in work shipping the units out to India and China!

Maybe we should put up our import taxes & keep some of this foreign rubbish out & help our industries!!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 11:46am by The Valeter.)
02-11-2012 11:44am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

(02-11-2012 11:44am)The Valeter Wrote:  Maybe we should put up our import taxes & keep some of this foreign rubbish out & help our industries!!

We are a member of the EU, that isn't possible now. Honda, Toyota and Nissan built factories here to get round import taxes on cars built outside the EU and is why things like Jeeps are built in Austria.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 12:16pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-11-2012 12:16pm