Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I-10 and Gessner - Houston, TX
Broadsword1959

RE: I-10 and Gessner - Houston, TX

(08-04-2012 03:40am)PigLauncher Wrote:  Thanks for the insight on the GJC. One quick question about the sat nav if you don’t mind. I have compiled a list of zip codes to navigate my chosen routes around California. On longer drives such as Monterey to LA I have selected several using some as way points to stay on the scenic roads. The thing is USA zip codes cover quite a wide area so may put you within a few blocks of your chosen destination only. If I wanted a specific hotel such as the Bellagio in Vegas will GJC’s sat nav pick this out by typing in the name?
I am offshore Azerbaijan right now working as the Responsible Electrical Person for BP. I use the pseudonym PigLauncher on most websites as it conjures up a strange image for anyone not in the offshore game.

You start by putting in State, then City. You then have options of zip code, attractions, hotels, physical address, hospitals etc.
I will try a "via" option tomorrow as I suspect you will be doing Route 1 up the coast, and get back to you - I hardly use it here in Texas / Louisiana as have travelling here for years

Pure, SD4, Manual, Baltic Blue, Ebony Interior, Tech Pack, Xenon Headlights, Folding Mirrors / Puddle Lights, Front Fog Lights, Reversing Camera
[Image: 124096.png]
08-04-2012 03:52am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PigLauncher

(08-04-2012 03:52am)Broadsword1959 Wrote:  You start by putting in State, then City. You then have options of zip code, attractions, hotels, physical address, hospitals etc.
I will try a "via" option tomorrow as I suspect you will be doing Route 1 up the coast, and get back to you - I hardly use it here in Texas / Louisiana as have travelling here for years

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Manual Dynamic, Firenze, Chrome Shadows, Santorini Pano,Verve,Ebony Headliner,Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons.TPMS. June the 20th.
08-04-2012 06:30am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

PL, US zip codes can get you better refinement of address if you use the additional 4 numbers that come after the initial 5 of the normal zip-code. There are some websites that will find the entire 9 digit number for you. I suspect due to the unwieldy size of the full ZIP that is why people normally only use the first 5 - I appreciate this isn't much help if the Jeep's SatNav cannot handle 9 digit zips!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 09:24am by XFullFatTim.)
08-04-2012 09:22am
Broadsword1959

(08-04-2012 06:30am)PigLauncher Wrote:  Thanks. Much appreciated.
Went out and tried putting in a detour from original destination - found that there is a ROUTE system.

1.You put in your start location (use Where Am I) and this gives you full GPS coordinates of where you are.

2. Put in your final destination (via address, GPS Coordinates, Hotel, Attraction etc)

3. You will see a PLUS (+) between start and finish. Click this and put in route way point. You can put in as many as you like (I tried 6). Just make sure they are in the correct order or you will be going back on yourself !

What I did use were GPS Map References. you need to have the following :-
North (N) and West (W) Degrees, Minutes and Seconds of your target.

It also has a facility to locate areas by phone number - this can be a pretty large area.

Note:- could not find the ZIP Code search option on this vehicles Sat Nav. This is a 2012 model - picked up with 750 miles on clock so your rental unit is likely to be the same

Pure, SD4, Manual, Baltic Blue, Ebony Interior, Tech Pack, Xenon Headlights, Folding Mirrors / Puddle Lights, Front Fog Lights, Reversing Camera
[Image: 124096.png]
08-04-2012 04:31pm
PigLauncher

Broadsword/FullFatTim,

Thanks for the advice and the time spent helping out. I will use hotels as way points instead of zip codes. Most routes are fairly straight forward. It is mainly Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley and the Tioga Pass and Monterey to LA via Big Sur and CA1 that require some planning.

Cheers,
PL.

Manual Dynamic, Firenze, Chrome Shadows, Santorini Pano,Verve,Ebony Headliner,Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons.TPMS. June the 20th.
09-04-2012 02:56am