Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How does wheel size effect the drive quality?
EvoqueNorCal

How does wheel size effect the drive quality?

Sorry for the slightly newbie-ish question, but anyone have any input as to how the drive quality will change with 19" wheels versus 20" wheels?
25-06-2012 06:24am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coolbanana

RE: How does wheel size effect the drive quality?

On the Evoque, choosing a 20" wheel over 19" means a lower profile tyre which results in a slightly harsher ride. Mainly, it's a trade-off for appearance over comfort if larger wheels look better to you (I like the 20" wheels).

I know someone who had 18" wheels on their FL2 and now have 19" on their RRE and have found the FL2 was more compliant on the road over potholes etc. Higher profile rubber offers a more comfortable ride and rim protection. I've found the lower profile wheels feel better in the corners too though so it really comes down to: softer ride, rim protection vs aesthetics and (very) slightly better cornering ability.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
25-06-2012 08:54am
EvoqueNorCal

So 19" will give a more comfortable ride but 20" will be better in cornering ability?
25-06-2012 09:01am
Belvoirbloke

(25-06-2012 09:01am)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  So 19" will give a more comfortable ride but 20" will be better in cornering ability?

I’m very keen on a smooth ride (I have 19”) and find on some surfaces the 19”s are harsh and jiggly, I expect 20’s would be worse.
20’s very much look sportier but I couldn’t take the hit of the harder ride. I mean, how fast do you need to go round a corner ? !!

lover’s tiff over Razz
Prestige SD4 auto, 5DR, Orkney Grey, Ivory/Dark Cherry/Pano/Power Tailgate
25-06-2012 09:14am
Coolbanana

(25-06-2012 09:01am)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  So 19" will give a more comfortable ride but 20" will be better in cornering ability?

In my experience, yes - as in, it feels a bit more stable. The actual difference is very likely to be small in reality but it certainly feel's better to me.

Drive both options and see how they ride for you. The difference is obviously greater with 17" vs 20" but there is a slight difference between 19" and 20" too.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
25-06-2012 09:17am
David Cameron

I had a Disco and went from 18" to 20", now 19". It all depends on the make, model of tyre, but overall the 20" we're a harsher ride, but better looking alloy.
25-06-2012 09:51am
EvoqueNorCal

(25-06-2012 09:14am)Belvoirbloke Wrote:  I mean, how fast do you need to go round a corner ? !!

Haha. You don't know how I drive. I got pulled over by a cop before for fishtailing around a corner in my SUV. I drive safe and controlled (I *know* how to drive), but I like to take corners as fast as possible. I get more thrill from that than from driving fast in a straight line so cornering ability is important to me. I realize the Evoque isn't a race car, but neither is my Jeep and that hasn't stopped me from driving it like one. Smile

And the cop let me off once he understood I was in control of the car.
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2012 11:17am by EvoqueNorCal.)
25-06-2012 11:16am
speary

(25-06-2012 11:16am)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  Haha. You don't know how I drive. I got pulled over by a cop before for fishtailing around a corner in my SUV. I drive safe and controlled (I *know* how to drive), but I like to take corners as fast as possible. I get more thrill from that than from driving fast in a straight line so cornering ability is important to me. I realize the Evoque isn't a race car, but neither is my Jeep and that hasn't stopped me from driving it like one. Smile

And the cop let me off once he understood I was in control of the car.

Fishtailing around a corner on a public road is in no way controlled as you dont know whats around the bend and if there is something such as a child you can not stop Mad

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
25-06-2012 12:36pm
EvoqueNorCal

(25-06-2012 12:36pm)speary Wrote:  Fishtailing around a corner on a public road is in no way controlled as you dont know whats around the bend and if there is something such as a child you can not stop Mad

Totally depends on the corner. If the ground is flat and nothing is on the land between you and the other side of the corner, you can see fine.
25-06-2012 01:44pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I have both 20" wheels and tyres and 19" winter wheels and tyres for my Dynamic. No difference whatsoever in ride comfort, huge difference in road noise of the Continental 20" tyres over the Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres - the pirellis are significantly quieter and I wish LR would scrap the Contis once and for all, they are Rubbish tyres, hugely expensive and don't wear well in my experience with them on an RRS

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2012 01:45pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-06-2012 01:44pm