Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hidden Features?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Hidden Features?

Unfortunately I no longer have an owner's manual to refer to and the online version I have has different page numbers to the one in the car, but it is in the set-up menus for the navigation. For example, when I first had the car I asked it to take me from home into Glasgow, the system gave me 3 routes but none of them was the route that I would normally take. With the "learning" function on I drove the route I would take and from then on if I asked for guidance for the route from home to town it would give instructions along the route I actually drive. It can back fire too - after taking delivery I drove north from London to Scotland with the mode selected and pulled into both Keele service and Teebay services..................... ever since it has directed me into those two services whenever I have driven north as I never found out how to undo a route!

Edit - the function above is called "Learn Route" and here is the page from the online manual in Topiz
Quote:START GUIDANCE
After touching Destination, the system will
calculate the route.
There is now a choice to select 3 Routes,
Change route or to Start navigation guidance. Touch 3 Routes to display a choice of three
different route options on the map.
The roads on the map are drawn in three different colours to highlight each route. Leaves are used alongside each of the three calculated routes toindicate the most fuel efficient.
Three full leaves is the most efficient.
Select route 1, 2 or 3 by touching the respective box displayed on the right side of the map.
Touch Change Route followed by Route prefs. to change the route settings. If a destination is already set, touch Waypoint to add a waypoint in the journey if required.
When you have made your selection, if any, touch Go.
Note: As you approach a junction, in addition to the voice guidance, an inset on the map will display an enlarged view of the junction.
STOP GUIDANCE
To stop route guidance, proceed as follows:
1. Touch Nav menu on the map menu screen.
2. Touch the Stop guidance soft key.
EASY ROUTE
In Route options, Easy route can be turned On
or Off.
When On is selected, Easy route changes the calculation parameters of Route 3 in order to reduce:
• Junctions.
• Turns.
• Turns that cross traffic.
• The priority of minor roads.
• Complex junctions and manoeuvres.

LEARN ROUTE
In Route options, Learn route can be turned
On or Off.
When On is selected, if you make the same deviation from the proposed route three times, then the system will memorise the deviation and offer that as the normal route from then on. Select Reset all routes to delete any learnt routes and return to the default settings.[/bold]

VOICE GUIDANCE
To turn voice guidance on or off but maintain route guidance, proceed as follows:
1. Touch Nav menu on the map menu screen.
2. Touch the Route voice guidance soft key. The soft key will be highlighted when voice guidance messages are enabled.
QUICK POI SELECTION
Touch the Map screen to display the POI button. Touch the POI (Point of interest) button. The screen shows six suggested categories, five of which can be selected as quick points of interest.
Note: The POI icons will not be shown if the map zoom level is greater than 1 km (1⁄2 mile).

The above is page 154 of the on-line owner's manual, I'm not sure if it is the same page number in the hard copy
For those having problems with strange routes being given to them then try using the "Easy Route" setting described above and see if that makes any difference as it has "built-in" filters for calculating more efficient routes

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-11-2013 10:43pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-11-2013 10:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

(16-11-2013 08:25am)Devonian Wrote:  I'm not normally one for reading manuals from start to finish as I'm time poor as I work long hours. This got me thinking that there could be some features of the car that I'm not making use of. Other than advising me to spend forever reading the manual, are there any things on the Evoque that you guys use a lot that aren't obvious features?

I only tend to use voice control for making calls but it could be a hidden gem that I haven't taken full advantage of yet.

Cheers

Sorry this query ended up being a bit sidetracked by my facetious (albeit valid) comment about sat. nav.

Hopefully someone can give you the advice you originally sought......

(16-11-2013 10:11pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  For those having problems with strange routes being given to them then try using the "Easy Route" setting described above and see if that makes any difference as it has "built-in" filters for calculating more efficient routes

I used 'learn route' but still have problems even after taking my preferred route numerous times. The only route it ever 'learned' is the route near my house wherein it wants to take me round the block (10 miles) and back to where I started.
(This post was last modified: 16-11-2013 11:16pm by Donny Dog.)
16-11-2013 11:09pm
Devonian

No need to apologise Donny - I've learnt something new so it's all good.

2012-2014: Dynamic SD4 Auto Lux Coupe. Santorini Black, Style 7 20" Shadow wheels, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam Assist, Solar Attenuating Glass and black Dynamic Plus pack. Sold back to Land Rover due to many build quality issues.
On order: Corris Grey Dynamic SD4 5 door, black contrast pan roof, blind spot indicators, Intelligence Pack, Head Up Display, Solar Glass, 825W Stereo and powered tailgate.
16-11-2013 11:43pm
gibbyd

Hidden Features?

(16-11-2013 08:10pm)Devonian Wrote:  I was hoping that there would be a way of getting a Tom Tom iPhone app to stream to the in car screen but I'm wildly optimistic I think! I'm working up in Chester at the moment - do you use the local Land Rover dealership here? Any good?

I have hooked up the I phone to the screen and use my Tom Tom app and Bluetooth the audio.
17-11-2013 12:41am
Beopaul

Will iPhone tomtom work in a car with a heated windshield? Mine will be heated and I've heard it blocks GPS signals.

-- Paul
17-11-2013 01:42am
mark_n

For the life if me, I don't know why JLR just don't contract with TomTom to supply all the SatNav software and service. I have a Go Live 1005 with live traffic updates which works really well, tells me about speed cameras and re routes automatically. I took it to Sicily with me last week and would have been completely lost negotiating the traffic in Palermo without it.

(17-11-2013 01:42am)Beopaul Wrote:  Will iPhone tomtom work in a car with a heated windshield? Mine will be heated and I've heard it blocks GPS signals.

-- Paul

Nothing to do with TomTom as such, more whether the iPhone GPS receiver will work; the answer is yes it does.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 08:26am by mark_n.)
17-11-2013 08:24am
Devonian

(17-11-2013 12:41am)gibbyd Wrote:  I have hooked up the I phone to the screen and use my Tom Tom app and Bluetooth the audio.

How have you done that? Is it easy to do?

2012-2014: Dynamic SD4 Auto Lux Coupe. Santorini Black, Style 7 20" Shadow wheels, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam Assist, Solar Attenuating Glass and black Dynamic Plus pack. Sold back to Land Rover due to many build quality issues.
On order: Corris Grey Dynamic SD4 5 door, black contrast pan roof, blind spot indicators, Intelligence Pack, Head Up Display, Solar Glass, 825W Stereo and powered tailgate.
17-11-2013 10:41am
timhum

Learning function - if its a familiar route why would you want to put it into the sat-nav?

Tim
Evoque SD4 Pure Tech, Auto, Orkney, Panoramic roof, dipping and folding mirrors
17-11-2013 10:45am
gibbyd

Hidden Features?

(17-11-2013 10:41am)Devonian Wrote:  How have you done that? Is it easy to do?

Look at my threads.
17-11-2013 11:35am
cjfp

(17-11-2013 10:45am)timhum Wrote:  Learning function - if its a familiar route why would you want to put it into the sat-nav?

Because it may only be a portion of a larger journey

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
17-11-2013 01:56pm