Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with info re: pure vs dynamic
leaf911

RE: Help with info re: pure vs dynamic

Thanks Mark_n, will pass that on to my husband.
12-02-2013 08:35pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scrannel

RE: Help with info pure vs dynamic

(12-02-2013 06:29pm)mark_n Wrote:  Truth is, most people don't understand adaptive dynamics, including the dealers. Without it, you have a set of dampers/shock absorbers which have a fixed characteristic, one size trying to fit all. With Adaptive Dynamics, the characteristics are fine tuned to match the road conditions and this leads to an amazing ride quality. When you select sport mode, you get a different profile which has a more sporting edge. So it's not just something which is either on or off, it's something which is working all the time according to one of two profiles.

For me, it's a really great option.

Well said, but if you research, you'll see the GM engineers who developed the Magnetic suspension fought against including a "sport" mode; it defeats the purpose of the suspension by removing its ability to be "soft" when needed. Track tests confirm sport mode is a slower lap mode than normal. And I can tell you from experience on my C6: in sport mode I got wheel hop and lofting... and a sore back. But, it is the best suspension in the world.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
12-02-2013 08:49pm
timhum

The decision on the model to buy is often influenced by whether it is a company car or one you are paying for yourself. If the company will cough-up get all you think that you might want on it but in my opinion you will get very little extra pleasure than can be obtained through a sensibly specified Pure. For us that meant, tech-pack, auto, panoramic roof, auto lights/wipers and metallic paint.
Our car cost circa £34k and I blanch at the prices in the region of £45/50k that people are paying for a car that will loose 50% over three years. Yes I do believe that the overall cost of the car, including deprecation and running costs, is important in the purchase decision.
We are delighted with our Evoque; great style, the handling and comfort on standard suspension perfectly suits a small 4X4, the sound system is fine, the leather looks good and why spend £1k on changing the wheels but it is a not £45/50k car.
Ultimately though the decision is down to your preferences and budget, only you will know what is important to you in the car you buy. Good luck, whatever model you buy with you'll have a great time with it.
Tim
12-02-2013 09:33pm
scrannel

Say what? Too much sugar in the old tea? To hell with it -- sell the kids! Get what you want!

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
12-02-2013 10:26pm
mark_n

(12-02-2013 08:49pm)scrannel Wrote:  Well said, but if you research, you'll see the GM engineers who developed the Magnetic suspension fought against including a "sport" mode; it defeats the purpose of the suspension by removing its ability to be "soft" when needed. Track tests confirm sport mode is a slower lap mode than normal. And I can tell you from experience on my C6: in sport mode I got wheel hop and lofting... and a sore back. But, it is the best suspension in the world.

Afraid I have no idea what a C6 is so I am none the wiser. Whether the magnetic dampers were invented by GM, I have again no idea. GM is a company which is behind the curve when it comes to automotive engineering. Very few cars use the same type of adaptive damping that the RRE does; it's an under-appreciated technology.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
13-02-2013 06:23pm
Evogirl

Had an adaptive chassis on my Golf GTI three modes comfort, normal and sport, the sport mode hardened up the ride to the point of discomfort so used to bang it in normal which was the same as the GTI without the adaptives. So for the price on the Evoque decided I can definitely live without it on my new car.
13-02-2013 06:34pm
j7david

Adaptive doesn't just mean there are different modes to choose; it means the suspension is *constantly* monitoring the road surface and adjusting itself. Even in "normal" mode.

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
13-02-2013 07:02pm
Evogirl

Yes I know but it doesn't make enough difference to me to warrant the cost rise from a highly specced Pure to the Dynamic.
13-02-2013 08:22pm
scrannel

(13-02-2013 06:34pm)Evogirl Wrote:  Had an adaptive chassis on my Golf GTI three modes comfort, normal and sport, the sport mode hardened up the ride to the point of discomfort so used to bang it in normal which was the same as the GTI without the adaptives. So for the price on the Evoque decided I can definitely live without it on my new car.

Not the same thing at all. Adaptive chassis is basically shocks that alter their response by changing an oil passage opening forcing the shock fluid to flow slower or faster. Magnetic suspension uses ferrous particles in a field to change actual fluid viscosity. Magnetic ride requires no "user" settings even though one usually is supplied. The VW version is "old tech".

BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 12:12am by scrannel.)
14-02-2013 12:10am
scrannel

(13-02-2013 06:23pm)mark_n Wrote:  Afraid I have no idea what a C6 is so I am none the wiser. Whether the magnetic dampers were invented by GM, I have again no idea. GM is a company which is behind the curve when it comes to automotive engineering. Very few cars use the same type of adaptive damping that the RRE does; it's an under-appreciated technology.

Delphi working with GM created it. C6 is a Corvette -- you know, the one that pounds Aston Martin into the mud on the race track on a very regular basis? Behind the curve? Although I don't like most of their vehicles, they are anything but behind the curve. Here's your list of the "very few cars" (Wikipedia):

MagneRide was first used by General Motors in the Cadillac Seville STS (2002) and is now used as a standard suspension or an option in many models for Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet, and other GM vehicles. It can also be found on some non-US vehicles such as: Holden Special Vehicles, Ferrari, and Audi.

Specific Applications:

Buick Lucerne: CXS trim
Chevrolet Corvette C5
Chevrolet Corvette C6: optional in coupe trim starting in 2005 model year and in hardtop (Z06) trim starting in 2012 model year; standard equipment in ZR1.
Chevrolet Camaro in ZL1 trim (2012—)
Cadillac CTS-V (2009—)
Cadillac SRX (2004–09): standard with Performance or Premium option package.
Cadillac DTS (2006–11): standard with Performance or Premium option package.
Cadillac STS (2005–11): standard with Northstar V8 and 1SG option package.
Cadillac Seville STS (2002–03): Debut application for MagneRide, replacing CVRSS.
Ferrari 599
Ferrari California
HSV Senator
HSV GTS
HSV W427
Audi TT
Audi R8
Acura MDX
Acura ZDX
Range Rover Evoque

Now you are some the wiser. (Oh, and like moi I see you have the 4 cylinder petrol motor. Isn't that made by Ford?)

BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 02:56am by scrannel.)
14-02-2013 02:45am